PDA

View Full Version : Bringing up graphical interface on boot

peteyjared3
05-02-2004, 08:12 AM
Hey, I'm a complete noob to all things Linux. I was a hardcore Windows user, but let's just say I saw the light.
Anyway, I have installed Knoppix to a partition, and am booting from a floppy. Everything with that works perfectly- I can still boot to Windows if I need to, and I can log into Knoppix.
However, when I boot from my floppy and log into Knoppix, I don't know how to bring up the familiar graphic interface of the CD booted Knoppix. I log in fine, but I still stay in the command line interface.
I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I did a search and nothing seemed relevant.

Jared

eco2geek
05-02-2004, 08:50 AM
However, when I boot from my floppy and log into Knoppix, I don't know how to bring up the familiar graphic interface of the CD booted Knoppix. I log in fine, but I still stay in the command line interface.

Type startx after logging in.

arkaine23
05-02-2004, 12:03 PM
If you want it to go straight to graphical mode you should-

login as root
cd /etc/rc5.d
ln -s ../init.d/kdm S99kdm

Next time you reboot into linux, it should go straight to the graphical logon screen of the K Desktop Manager (kdm). There's an option during the installer that asks about setting up kdm, and it seems you chose "no".