PDA

View Full Version : Windows-actalike floppy

Klempner
05-02-2004, 02:09 PM
On a Knoppix 3.3 harddisk install, I would like to have a floppy that behaves like a Windows a: drive; users should be able to pop in their floppies and treat them as if they were on a Windows machine.

How do I go about this?

firebyrd10
05-02-2004, 10:23 PM
what do yo eman here? pop one in then just click and access files?

I'm not sure about harddrive install but knoppix does have an automount for floppies. (mounts after linux sees disk) and I would guess the harddrive install would too.

Klempner
05-03-2004, 04:33 AM
Yes, off the CD it probably worked.

Now that I've got the distro installed on two separate hard drives, I find that (a) the floppy drive becomes read-only and (b) that I have to mount/umount floppy disks manually when I want to look at their contents.

The idea would be to just pop in a floppy disk, look at it and copy stuff onto it in Konqueror, then pop in another and do the same without any mount/umount required.

Autofs (http://www.linuxhq.com/lg/issue24/nielsen.html) looks like a solution but I'm afraid it's is a bit over my head.

Durand Hicks
05-03-2004, 05:01 AM
You must mean the supermount patch for the kernel. That patch does what you want better than the automount option in the kernel.

Klempner
05-03-2004, 05:54 AM
Knoppix 3.3. doesn't seem to include the supermount kernel patch. I'm not horribly ecxited about messing with the kernel, but I might give it a try if it's the only way.

Then again -- Knoppix harddisk installs are popular, and I'm probably not the first person who ever wanted a floppy drive to behave in that partricular way, so I'm hoping there'd be some ready-made solution ...

Is it generally known that the Knoppix automount shell script (/etc/automount.sh) breaks when the distro is installed on a harddisk? If yes, can it be fixed?