PDA

View Full Version : After remastering the image is about 20 MB larger

ahz
05-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Hello,

sorry for that question! I think it was answered a few days ago. But I cannot find it anymore.
I guess it has something to do with optimization of the files. Where can I find more details about it?

Thanks in advance,

Armin herzer

arkaine23
05-03-2004, 06:58 PM
A lot of reasons this can happen. Did you do an apt-get clean to remove downloaded packages? Also software has a tendency tro get larger with time. If you update anything odfds, are it gets bigger.

One thing I remove straight off the bat are the tetex packages. That can clear up some space for you quickly.

mzilikazi
05-04-2004, 09:21 PM
Did you get this:
http://gnubox.dyndns.org:8080/~sunil/knoppix.clean

Umm...don't run that on your Linux install. :) In fact I never make it executable until I put it into the remastering environment.

Did you do this:
deborphan | xargs apt-get -y remove

and this:
COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l |grep ^rc |awk '{print $2} ' | xargs dpkg -P

If you did all that then the only other thing that I know of is the sorting script which can be found on the mailing lists but I haven't really figured out how to use it. I don't think that would have anything to do with the size of your image however.

Also don't forget to remove anything you might have built in /usr/src but you probably did that already. :)

mzilikazi
05-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Did you get this:
http://gnubox.dyndns.org:8080/~sunil/knoppix.clean

Umm...don't run that on your Linux install. :) In fact I never make it executable until I put it into the remastering environment.

Did you do this:
deborphan | xargs apt-get -y remove

and this:
COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l |grep ^rc |awk '{print $2} ' | xargs dpkg -P

If you did all that then the only other thing that I know of is the sorting script which can be found on the mailing lists but I haven't really figured out how to use it. It needs a reference file but what file?? I don't think that would have anything to do with the size of your image however as it sorts by time stamp.

Also don't forget to remove anything you might have built in /usr/src but you probably did that already. :)

rm
05-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Hello,

sorry for that question! I think it was answered a few days ago. But I cannot find it anymore.
I guess it has something to do with optimization of the files. Where can I find more details about it?

Thanks in advance,

Armin herzer

I posted this question in the debian-knoppix ML and Fabian give me this reply:

That no problem of cloop, but of the compressor.
[I thought the problem was in new version of cloop]

The new one is included though ...

So using the create_compressed_fs from the 3.4 will work.

It has a new option -b = best, which enables the best compression by using
different compression schemes and tries to optimize that way...

But be careful! That option is slow (10x slower iirc).