PDA

View Full Version : Kurumin 1.1 going out :-)

Carlos_E_Morimoto
03-02-2003, 05:21 AM
Hi boys,

I'm finishing the 1.1 version of my Kurumin Linux. Here are some screenshots:

http://www.guiadohardware.net/linux/kurumin/

This version includes more programs and "magic icons" to automaticaly install more apps (after hdd install) via apt-get, but maintain the same size, only 186 MB.

This is a very newbie friend distro that are becoming a major distribution here in Brazil, catching thousand of ex Windows users :-)

This new version is behing publised in two Magazines this mount, 80.000 copies of the CD on the streets :-))

aay
03-02-2003, 06:49 AM
Carlos,

Kurumin looks fantastic! Great job! I'm interested in giving it a try. Unfortunately I only speak English. Did you retain English language files on that slim 185 CD? So i can boot lang=us?

I translated your page with the built in bable fish tools in Konqorer. I was able to understand most of it, but the translation isn't that great.

Again, let me say I'm impressed.

One question. Your distro seems to differ in it's intention from Knoppix. Although Klaus supports the instal script and all he doesn't really push Knoppix as an instalable version of Linux. You seem to be focusing on the install issue. Is this correct?

I doubt I'll wait for your reply on the language options, I'm probably going to try and download now.

Take care,

Adam

aay
03-02-2003, 06:52 AM
BTW, I saw the Windows stuff on your screen shots. That done with WINE? I've been trying to get bochs working on the machine in my office, but keep getting kernel panic messages. Would be interesting if you could get bochs to run off the CD or set it up to download after install.

Cheers.

John
03-02-2003, 07:08 AM
Carlos,
I have a request, can you translate your docs over to English? I've used a few of the online translators, but because the pages are so large they only translate half the page.

>80.000
Wow!, Congratulations!

aay
03-02-2003, 07:32 AM
John. I used this http://www.freetranslation.com/web.htm

Again the translation isn't that great, but it gets the whole page.

Carlos_E_Morimoto
03-02-2003, 07:54 AM
Yes, of course you can use English :-) Just need to change language setting and keyboard layout on KDE control Center. The distribution is very KDE centric so you don't need to bother about lang=us.

I made some alterations on the install script. The instalation on the HD look exatly the same of the CD, including the sudoer entry for the user Knoppix. It's a option, the user can use the system as knoppix, with some privileges and easyness or can create a new unprivilegied user.

The Windows stuff is runnig thorugh a vanilla Wine instalation, i'm just running some applications fron the Windows partition. Wine works best this way, because the aplications are already installed and you have all the dlls and registry enters.

I includded drivers for Winmodems with Lucent/Agere chipsets, this cheap stuff is very popular all around the world.

Finnaly, I'm finishing the docs in Portuguese, but need some help on the translation, the manual have almost 80 pages! :-)

Carlos_E_Morimoto
03-02-2003, 07:56 AM
Aff, this web translators really sucks :-(

"Don't send a machine to do a human job."

Carlos_E_Morimoto
03-02-2003, 08:27 AM
The Kurumin "almost 80 page" manual is avalable at:

http://www.guiadohardware.net/linux/kurumin/manual/

Includes a remastering tutorial based on Eadz work.

John
03-02-2003, 01:33 PM
It's your remasterring tutorial that I am most eager to read, particularly your use of Xnest from a chroot environment.

Alextreme
03-02-2003, 03:32 PM
Wow! impressive stuff! Nice work Carlos!

My Portuguese isn't that great, but i must say that your manual is very impressive indeed! Excellent documentation!

roadie
03-02-2003, 04:46 PM
Carlos, it's great to see you've added the Lucent drivers, there are how many thousands of machines out there using them.

I've shown some people Knoppix & Knoppix Lite and they're impressed till they find out they can't use the net because they have a Winmodem

Doing a remaster of anything is hard when you can't use apt-get because you're modem is'nt supported.

I'm downloading Kurumin now, only 16-17 hours, not bad huh?

Thanx,
roadie

Carlos_E_Morimoto
03-02-2003, 04:55 PM
The version on the site is still the 1.0, i'm uploading the 1.1 to mirrors, will take some says.

RoadKill
03-02-2003, 05:30 PM
Hi Carlos

Let us know the moment its uploaded. It looks real cool and I must see you winmodem mods..

All the best, Dan

sps
03-02-2003, 06:26 PM
Yes, of course you can use English :-) Just need to change language setting and keyboard layout on KDE control Center. The distribution is very KDE centric so you don't need to bother about lang=us. :-)

I tried to change the lang in kurumin ver 1.0 and did not get good results, some menus still in brazilian language, can you do a better work on this? Or even better, an option to change the whole system to english language? I think this way the whole world would be able to run kurumin

Carlos_E_Morimoto
03-02-2003, 06:38 PM
The parts that still im Portuguse are just the system menu, boot messages and the hd-install?

The applications are ok?

aay
03-03-2003, 12:58 AM
The parts that still im Portuguse are just the system menu, boot messages and the hd-install?
The applications are ok?

Yes it's only a few menu entries that aren't in English. I run Kpersonalizer, configure KDE keyboard tool, goto init 3, then go to init 5 to restart X and KDE.

Carlos, the Flash install is really cool. I didn't really look under the hood. Do you use swf-player (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/utils/swf-player.html) or Macromedia's stuff?

It would be great if someone could lend Carlos a hand to change the few Portuguese menu entries for English fans. I wish I knew Portuguese.

Carlos, any plans to upgrade to KDE 3.1?

Carlos_E_Morimoto
03-03-2003, 01:19 AM
The Flash installer is a very simple script :-) Can be adapted to other distributions. He download and installs the plug-in on the folder /ramdisk/home/knoppix/plugins.

The folder /usr/local/phoenix/plugins is a sinlink targeting that folder. I think is a good way to install things running fron CD.

--

#!/bin/bash
# Instala suporte a Flash no Kurumin
# Escrito por Carlos E. Morimoto

# X or text console - By Christian Perle <perle@itm.tu-clausthal.de>
case "`tty`" in
/dev/tty[1-8])
MODE=text
DIA=dialog
;;
/dev/pts/*|/dev/ttyp*)
MODE=x
export XDIALOG_HIGH_DIALOG_COMPAT=1
[ -x /usr/bin/gdialog ] && DIA=gdialog
[ -x /usr/bin/Xdialog ] && DIA=Xdialog
[ $DIA = dialog ] && MODE=text
;;
*)
MODE=text
DIA=dialog
;;
esac
# text mode if DISPLAY is not set
if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] ; then
MODE=text
DIA=dialog
fi

BT="Instalação do suporte a Flash"
T1="Instalação do Macromedia Flash"
M1="Este script instala o suporte a Flash no Kurumin. O pacote tem 700 KB e demora aproximadamente 2 minutos para ser baixado num modem de 56K. No final da instalação o navegador será aberto para que você possa testar."

$DIA --backtitle "$BT" --title "$T1" --msgbox "$M1" 15 60

killall /usr/local/phoenix/./phoenix-bin
mkdir /home/knoppix/plugins
cp -Rf /etc/skel/plugins/* /home/knoppix/plugins/
cd /home/knoppix/plugins
wget http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/flash/english/linux/6.0r69/install_flash_player_6_linux.tar.gz
tar -zxvf install_flash_player_6_linux.tar.gz
cd install_flash_player_6_linux/
mv libflashplayer.so ../
cd ..
rm -rf install_flash_player_6_linux/
rm -rf install_flash_player_6_linux.tar.gz
/usr/local/phoenix/./phoenix http://www.charges.com.br

---

RoadKill
03-03-2003, 06:16 PM
Hi Carlos,

Where can we download the 1.1 iso of Kurumin? I am really looking forward to seeing it.

All the best, Dan :P

Carlos_E_Morimoto
03-05-2003, 10:22 PM
ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/Incoming/kurumin-1.1.iso

Happy download :-)

aay
03-05-2003, 11:25 PM
Carlos,

Could you please summarize what's different in the 1.1 release from 1.0?

Thanks.

Carlos_E_Morimoto
03-06-2003, 12:26 AM
Automatic translation:

---

Included kopete, an instant client of messages that bears several protocols, between them the ICQ and MSN.

Included "magical ícons". They permit install adicional programs like the Gimp, Mozilla, Wine, Abiword, Gnome2, Evolution and OpenOffice after the Kurumin is installed in the HD.

The ícones they roll scripts that they lower and they install the programs via apt get, with ONE click.

Case the Windows Partition is mounted, during the installation of the Wine he automatically configures himself to open the programs from her, what guarantees a very bigger level of success. Sufficiency access the partition saw terminal and call you performed them with the command "wine program exe". Naturally the partition Windows should be mounted with permission of writing.

Resolved more one "bug" in the knx hdinstall. Now the fonts in KDE not become bigger after install in the HD.

Included Komba2, program that permits visualize shares of Windows machines and mount them easily. The Komba2 simulates the "My network" environment of net of the Windows, in a form relatively familiar to new users, offering also resorces that please to more more experienced users, as the possibility of mount automatically shares during the boot. The ícon can be found in Start > Aplicativos.

From the first time that open the program goes in Configurations> Configure and informs the streak of IPs from its net (192.168.0.0 to 192.168.0.255 by example), clique in "append" and "apply" to save the alteration. Now click on the button of bring up to date to see all of the shares from the local network.

Was included also the LinNeighborhood, that offers similar resources, but have an simpler interface

Splash screen of KDE was replaced by a "more Kurumin" one : -)

Included the navigator Dillo, an option for old machines where the Phoenix rolls very slow.

Removed some of the stamps files of the tuxpaint to save space.

THE lbreakout was brought up to date for the last version. Now he is with more phases and a visual a lot pretier one. (Before the Flavio Moreira came here to spank me.. ; -)

Included Sopodi, a program of drawing vetorial extremely powerful, that offers all the main resorts of the Corel Draw.

Added two utility that can be used case the Kurumin be installed in the HD:

tamuitolerdo : Configures Kurumin to work in slow machines. The login manager is replaced by the XDM, the Icewm passes to be the default window manager, all of the not essential system services are disabled, etc.

After the command roll the Kurumin can run comfortably even in a Pentium 100 with 24 MB.

nemtantoassim : Reverts the alterations of tamuitolerdo.

Both the commands should be facts as root. That is not a joke, since the Kurumin is a national distribution, better nothing than also use names of utility easy remember.. : -)
---

Notes:

ta muito lerdo = something like "this thing is slow like he hell!" in english

nem tanto assim = like "take it easy friend" in english.

luro95
03-06-2003, 01:37 AM
Bom trabalho Carlos ! Mas somente uma pergunta: Como faço para configurar impressora?

Nice Work Carlos ! But just a question: How can I get printer configuration ?

Carlos_E_Morimoto
03-06-2003, 01:51 AM
You probably need Cups and kdeprint, I never tested because I don't have a printer any more :-) The target is multimidia and Internet access

sps
03-06-2003, 03:13 PM
Kurumin 1.1, can´t change language to US English

Tried everything, no go :(
Even using floopyconfig option...
Am I missing anything?
TIA

MichielioZ
03-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Wow !! I'm quite impressed with this remaster !
I'm wondering ... What did you do with the sound configuration ???
This is the first time I get practically the same quality from my SB Live Value as in Windhoze !!
(Even original Knoppix doesn't utilize this, let alone Mandrake or Redhat...)
If it's just some settings, then please tell me, so I can get it to work from now on...

By the way : I want to make a remaster myself with changing icons and menu entries and stuff, maybe you're willing to share your "magic" with me ? :lol:
Thanx again for this remaster, it will help me for sure to create my "own" perfect OS....

bhsx
03-07-2003, 05:50 PM
Kurumin 1.1, can´t change language to US English

Tried everything, no go icon_sad.gif
Even using floopyconfig option...
Am I missing anything?
Yes, you're missing
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixProjects

Check the bottum of the page. You can use the win32 version of Knoppix-Customize to change the default language (amongst other things)

freeballer
03-18-2003, 03:43 AM
I tried using knoppix customize on version 1.1 kurumin to change it to english like posted earlier didn't work. Tried using the "lang=us" switch at the start didn't work. What else can I do to start using english?