PDA

View Full Version : Removing Windows

chrisjrn
05-04-2004, 03:33 AM
I have decided to solely use my Knoppix distro as my only OS, and have since deleted my NTFS partition.

I was wondering how I would go about making my ext2 partition take up the entirety of the free space

-Thanks in advance.

mzilikazi
05-04-2004, 01:19 PM
Hmmm well there is qtparted but i dunno about trying to resize ext2 over an old ntfs partition. I won't say it can't be done but I will say that I wouldn't do it.

Might I suggest that you drop the windows philosophy of "one big partition is good" because it is not. In fact it is a waste of your hdd IMHO.

When you need to change something or you run out of space because you've stored so many mp3's you will be glad you have multiple partitions.

Here's how I have my 40G drive partitioned:

/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/hda2 on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda3 on /usr type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda5 on /precious type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /tmp type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda7 on /var type ext3 (rw)
hda8 Logical Linux ext3 1003.49
hda9 Logical Linux 1998.75
hda10 Logical Linux ext3 4992.75
hda11 Logical Linux ext3 15002.92
hda12 Logical Linux ext3 5000.98

As you can see partitions 1,2,3,6 & 7 are for the operating system. This is not necessary (but easy to do during installation). The other partitions I use for storage of music, remastering, etc and one partition never changes as it has certain documents that I really neeed to have. I can erase and reinstall Linux (in the event that I hose it up beyond repair) and I don't worry about the rest of my data.

chrisjrn
05-04-2004, 10:08 PM
OK. Here's my problem:

I have deleted my NTFS, and have made myself a nice new partition (hda3, which was my previous NTFS partition's name), however, I can not mount it under my Linux OS...

What do I do now?

mzilikazi
05-04-2004, 11:48 PM
Well technically speaking you can't mount a partition. What you actually mount is the filesystem on the partition. So.......create a filesystem. :) I prefer ext3 so I would do this:

mke2fs -j /dev/hda3

chrisjrn
05-05-2004, 07:47 AM
OK. One more thing:

My Info Center says that I have hda3 as an NTFS partition, even though I have deleted this partition. What do I do?

fingers99
05-05-2004, 12:50 PM
You've deleted the partition, but it's still formatted ntfs.

Try mzilikazi's suggestion (as root)

mke2fs -j /dev/hda3

horo
05-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Did you change the partition type with
cfdisk /dev/hda3 ?

Ciao Martin

chrisjrn
05-05-2004, 09:15 PM
OK. I tricked my CFDisk into making my new partition 'hda4', which has never before existed on my computer.

I have made it an ext2 partition, as I have had troubles with ext3.

When I try to run 'mount /dev/hda4', it says 'cannot find /dev/hda4 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab'

What do I do?

fingers99
05-06-2004, 05:01 AM
Post your /etc/fstab.......

Stephen
05-06-2004, 06:26 AM
The output of fdisk -l would be nice to see as well and just how did you go about "tricking" cfdisk to create a new partition.

chrisjrn
05-06-2004, 09:42 AM
OK. You subliminally told me exactly how to mount my hda4, and I thank you very much for it :)

And as for tricking it, I just created a 10MB part at the end of my drive which became hda3, created a real part for hda4 and deleted hda4.

Then I discovered it wasn't necessary, as all I had to do was edit my FStab

Thanks a heap guys!

mzilikazi
05-07-2004, 04:19 AM
OK. I tricked my CFDisk into making my new partition 'hda4', which has never before existed on my computer.

I have made it an ext2 partition, as I have had troubles with ext3.

When I try to run 'mount /dev/hda4', it says 'cannot find /dev/hda4 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab'

What do I do?

You didn't trick cfdisk. It's quite normal to have /dev/hda4 IF you make 4 primary partitions. ;) Otherwise the extended partitions all reside in partition #4 (if you have 3 other primary parts) and it is therefor not seen by partitioning apps.

Secondly, not being able to mount the drive had absolutely nothinhg to do with fstab. You just needed the full command:

mount /dev/hda4 /mount/point

The file /etc/fstab just makes life easier for you by providing the answer to "mount it where?". Glad you got it working. :)

chrisjrn
05-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Thanks a heap.