PDA

View Full Version : Samba problem, errors on startup.

rrijkse
05-04-2004, 02:00 PM
I am making a file server remaster so that I can create a fileserver out of anything without having to install and configure all the services each time. However, I've run into a little problem.
When I have the image extracted (The compressed file system image) and I start samba when I'm chrooted it works perfectly. However when I compress the file system and start samba it gives me a huge number of errors.

In the log file it says:
smbd version 3.0.2-Debian started
and then a few seconds later
Unable to open printcap file /etc/printcap for read!
Failed to open /var/lib/samba/secrets.tdb

But it only shows this when I have compressed the image and am booting from it.
I was wondering how do I get this working? I already have everything else working. (FTP Server, SSH Server (static keys), network config))

Any help is welcome,

- Robbert

rrijkse
05-05-2004, 06:34 AM
This is just an update.

I have beenable to get rid of the "Unable to open printcap file", by removing the print capabilities in the smb.conf file. I did this since I'm not gonna use this anyway. However I am still having the other problems, and I can't figure out why.

rrijkse
05-25-2004, 10:50 AM
Well I took a few days off, but when I returned a few more hours of work, and I finally got Samba running. The problem seems to be that the files in the /var/lib/samba directory are symlinked to /KNOPPIX/var/lib/samba. To fix the issue I remove the links and replace the files with the origionlas before I start samba.

That fixed all of my problems