PDA

View Full Version : XWindows Problem

ommy
05-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Hi all
I am new here at KNOPPIX form...just got ma hands dirty with KNOPPIX 3.1 distro. I am having some problems here. When I pop in KNOPPIX CD,it works fine, boots well,but when I boot to GNOME or KDE by
knoppix desktop = desktop = gnome
it works fine, it initialises GNOME, then a black background of KNOPPIX (that is default background, I guess) , and it halts there.. Nomore progress. And the screen is halted atthat KNOPPIX default wallpaper, no ICON appears on it and i t stays like this until I make a forced reboot.

When I boot KNOPPIX in run level 2 by
knoppix 2
it works fine atthis run level..shows every directory/ file, works fine with any kind of service.

I hope that anyone would like to contribute towards this problem (or may be a problem). I am already impressed by this LIVE CD DISTRO of linux. Greatwork done by developers and on-the-fly decompression for bundled softwares worked in a greatway. Have already seen and impressed by command line / run level 2.

I hope that anyone would help me with this, and that would be indeed a great effort for me to migrate from Micro$oft to FREEDOM.
Thank you
Ommy

mzilikazi
05-04-2004, 08:56 PM
Well first of all, you're using a very very old version of Knoppix. Now I realize that it may not be possible for you to simply download the latest version but if you can it would be an extremely good idea to do so. That said.......

What graphics hardware do you have?

Video card model/chipset
Monitor type

ommy
05-05-2004, 08:59 AM
sorry.. I should have mentioned the hardware I am using...
first of all I have tried this cd on multiple boxes, with different hardware in place, it had almost booted fine on every hardware that I have experimented , till that black desktop knoppix wallpaper appears and stuck.
Though my home box where I experiment alots of stuff is having an ATI Raedon 9000 graphics adapter that is detected by the KNOPPIX on the first hand.
The monitor I use is a standard 15 inch dell monitor with a refresh rate of 75 Hz. And the maximum resolution that is supports 2048 by 1536. In my opinion it is detecting not only hardware attached but also probing SCSI drives for detection which I dont have one. Infact as far as the HCL is concerned, I guess it already had more then enough support.
I am also trying to download the latest knoppix ISO but pathetic internet connection is a hindrance. But would get hold of this ISO in this week surely.
Thanks for reading out and helping out. I expect more serious advice on this.
Ommy

ommy
05-06-2004, 07:46 PM
I am waitin for a reply...pppl