Thread: Knoppix 3.6 and Router/Internet problems

Knoppix 3.6 and Router/Internet problems

Hello,
    I'm new to Linux so I don't know a heck of a lot about it.
    My HD crashed and Windows went all to hell so I'm giving this a try in the meantime. So far it's very cool.

Only two things don't work: Internet browsing and printing.

Browsing:
    I'm using a NIC attached to a D-Link router which goes to my ADSL modem.
    I ran the network setup (couldn't use DHCP, it timed out) so set it up manually. Not sure of the name server but I know the default gateway so put that in. It updated the info everything looked fine as far as I can tell. Knoppix can see and use my Ethernet card, no problems there. Inside Konqueror or Mozilla I can type in the address for my router and pull up the internal web pages for it. So far so good. Unfortunately I can't connect to any internet sites. The browsers finally time out & give up after a few minutes. I tried the PPPOE setup (though I read on here the router should handle that, it did under XP) but it says it can't find an ADSL concentrator. I'm thinking the problem is getting data to and from the modem and the router. I tried setting up Konqueror in port forwarding, to see if that would fix the problem, but no luck there either. So, any suggestions?

Printing: This may just be a driver issue, not sure. I have a Lexmark z52 printer conmnected via USB. Can set it up just fine using the setup wizard, but when I tell it to print a test page nothing happens. Printer doesn't even blink. Knoppix can see the printer and even tell me what it is, it just won't print to it. I've downloaded some drivers and will try them out, do you think it's just a driver problem?

Any help and advice is appreciated, thanks.

Administrator Site Admin-
    I've used Knopix with 3 different Dlink routers with no DHCP problems, so I'm hard pressed to know what problem you are having. You should certainly not have to run any PPPoE software, the router will take care of that. What model Dlink is it? Is there any chance that DHCP is disabled in it? You are connecting by a nice typical wired connection, are you not, as opposed to a wireless connection (in which case all bets are off)? Do you have any other computer attached to the Dlink that you could boot the Knoppix disc on to determine if it's a router issue or an issue with that particular computer and/or NIC?

Thanks for the reply.

W00t! Got internet access working!

Stupid me, it helps if you give it the correct DNS server address, doesn't it? ^_^
    I went through the setup process again, and noticed it had a default 255. something for the Name Server. I sat there a second and said "wait....name server...DNS stands for Domain Name Server...and my DNS is different...D'OH!!!!!". Typed in the proper DNS, fired up Konqueror, typed in Google's addy and BAM, good to go.

Still haven't figured out the printer problem yet. The printer simply doesn't respond to anything. It has the floomatic+ gimp drivers on there already. Lexmark.com appears to be down so I can't grab drivers from there, and supposedly the floomatic ones work better with CUPS anyways. I even tried using generic PSL and postscript drivers but to no avail. I tried Open Office to see if it was just the test program that was the problem but the printer doesn't print then either. :/ Ah well, at least I have 'net access, even if I do feel pretty dumb for not getting it going before.

Glad to hear you have Internet access working. I don't have the experience with printing to help you on that part. However, I'm still wondering why Knoppix isn't setting up everything automatically for you. It might help to know the model number of your router, and it might help to check the router configuration and confirm that DHCP is enabled and check all other settings (for example, some routers have a feature that only let them set up NICs when the MAC address is in a router table; if you have such a feature disable it at least for the test. And confirm that this is a wired NIC and that you are running from disc. It is nice to have Knoppix just boot and be on the Intenet with no user configuration needed, the normal way it works for most users. If all else fails you may want to run ethereal (included on the Knoppix disc) to watch the NIC and then run netcardconfig and try to do another dhcp configuration. Watching how DHCP fails may give us insight on what is going wrong.

Hmm, actually, I checked my settings and I have DHCP turned off on my router. I know there was some reason I have it turned off, but I don't remember exactly why. Since I plan on just keeping Knoppix running all the time until I install the new HD I won't have to change the settings again. Actually, after having used it, I'm considering cobbling together a spare parts PC and having Knoppix run all the time on it.

I'll dig around about the printer stuff, also need to find out if data DVDs written by K3b can be read by Windows. That'd save me a ton of time if I could make backups beforehand.

Thanks for posting the reason why DHCP failed for you. You may very well want to turn it back on, particularly if you don't know why you turned it off. I doubt that there is any good reason to turn it off that can't be resolved another way (paricularly with a Dlink router). With some other routers I have run a mix of static and dynamic IP addresses, but even then I leave dhcp on; with a Dlink router I have never found even static IP's needed. Of course, if you never reboot it's a non-issue; but if you decide that you want to try out different live CD's and/or DVD, or just boot different versions of Knoppix, it would come in handy.

I certainly expect that any CD written in ISO9660 format will be readable with both Knoppix and Windows; but I can't argue against testing it for yourself. You might come across some problems if you have huge file names (greater than 64 characters for example).

Hmm, I'll have to check with some people and ask them why I have DHCP off, either it was a for a good reason or a holdover from an older system. I honestly just can't remember. ^_^ I can't think of any security reasons off the top of my head, but I was taking so many different classes along with the Network Security class that a lot of that is a blur. Guess it's a good thing that I'm going for management instead of systems adminstrator, huh?

BTW, sorry for asking questions no longer related to networking, but you've been most helpful so I want to pick your brains while you're willing.

I figured anything in ISO 9660 would be fine (thanks for the confirmation!), the only options I'm finding in Kb3 are Joliet file name support (unchecked by default, advanced tells me it's 103 characters), UDF (unchecked by default, i don't want that because it's Unix file system, correct?) and Rock Ridge (this is checked, I have no idea what it is, I think it means 255 character support, I'll google it). Thanks for the tip about 64 characters, I never have any that long. It took me a long time to break away from 8.3 and I'm still hesitant about spaces in file names.

I just checked the advanced tab and it's showing ISO 9660 file system, cool. Also checked is a limitation of 31 character file names, which is more than I'd need anyways.

In advanced ISO level 2 is selected...is this XA 2? I'm used to Nero or Alcohol 120 for cd burning. I'll test the cd compatibility in a few days, got some blank cd-rs and dvd-rs coming with my new HD.

Sorry for the dumb questions, I've gotten used to XP programs handling everything for me, not that that always works, of course. ^_^ I tried SuSe Linux when it was version 6.4 and hated it, but I'm really impressed with Knoppix. Xine is running Divx avi files without a hitch, better than Zoom player in XP even. From what I've seen Linux has advanced a long ways in terms of usability. I didn't even have to put in a ton of info about my video card's chipset or my audio card, it just detected them and ran right away with no fuss at all. I miss the back button on my mouse working as a back button, but there's probably a fix for that somewhere.

In fact, I'm impressed enough that if I can cobble together the parts I'll use Linux (probably Knoppix 4.0 actually) as the OS for an entertainment center PC. I've already started building a system in my head using a VIA CPU and a mini-itx mobo.

Anyways, thanks again for your assistance, it's very much appreciated. I've spread the word about Knoppix to a few forums I go to where the users have notoriously unreliable Windows systems. Since these guys mostly just browse the net, check their email and write letters, heck, you may have some new converts.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeliard
    .... (this is checked, I have no idea what it is,...., I'll google it). ...

In fact, I'm impressed enough that if I can cobble together the parts I'll use Linux (probably Knoppix 4.0 actually) as the OS for an entertainment center PC.....
    I'm not the best one to advise on exactly what options you want to select when burning. I've burnt a little in Linux with no problems, but do tend to use Win and Nero for that most of the time. There I use the UDF/ISO option in Nero (bottom type of CDROM iso to create, not the top selection) as well as ISO 9660+Joliet. I find that this allows me to retain most file names that would otherwise give me problems (although on rare occasions I run across a name with an insane character choice that does cause issues). Also it builds multiple directories, which may help recover files in the future in case of disc rot. I too like to stick with the 8.3 format and avoid spaces in names, but often downloaded files have larger names and one wants to keep them. Your own advice of using Google to define terms and doing some testing to be safe is as good as any I could give you there.

Knoppix is great for what it is, a live CD and a wonderful way to introduce yourself to Linux and try things out. It's often not as suitable for installing on a hard disk as you might want. My advice would be to learn with Knoppix, but when it comes time to make that entertainment center, look at a distro intended for hard disk install. Debian may be a good choice for you, as it is the distro that Knoppix is based on, but there are several other good Linux distros too. Many distros have become much cleaner to install in recent years.

I'm going to flat out say that you can turn DHCP back on in that Dlink router. It's certainly not a security issue. If it's a wireless router then there are others things you need to do to help secure the system; but turning off dhcp will not even slow down most hackers. If you come across any problem later feel free to come back here (or in the Lounge forum) and ask about it and I'll help you resolve whatever it is.