Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't install Knoppix 5.1.1 with installer

Junior Member registered user

Can't install Knoppix 5.1.1 with installer

I've downloaded the ISO for knoppix5.1.1 and made a good cd, which checks out fine on md5sum. The command "knoppix-installer" wouldn't work on the startup screen, so I went into the GUI and did it there. The installer came up, but I couldn't install knoppix to my computer because a window came up saying I didn't meet the system requirements. It said to make sure I had the right-sized partitions and all that.

I know that I have plenty of memory (768mb) and harddrive space (2 partitions with 40gb each and a 217mb swap). The window also gave me a command to bypass that menu, but it didn't do a thing. I have windows xp on the first partition and Knoppix 5.0.1 on the other. Can anyone help me on this? I'm crippled and can't install knoppix unless I fix this. Thanks.

Senior Member registered user
    "..... (2 partitions with 40gb each and a 217mb swap)....."

usually this error is given when there is not enough free space on the ( Knoppix 5.0.1 ) partition to do the install.... if you would like to install over this partition, I would use qtparted (or gparted) to delete that partition and recreate it.....

I've also got this error trying to install on something other than ReiserFS...try recreating the partition with ReiserFS

Good Luck and keep us updated - I'll do my best to help you through
    -Justin
    One Mynds Eye

Hmm.....interesting. Why would it not find enough free space? That partition has 32gb free. Also it is reiserFS already. Can I format the partition using Qtparted instead of deleting it? I'm afraid if I delete it I'll mess up my boot record and ruin the partition table as my computer is very touchy about these things Thanks so much for offering to help.

Well.....I tried it anyway. I deleted and then re-created the knoppix partition while I was in the 5.1.1 cd. The installer still won't work, and now linux is gone and all I have is windows which will only boot if I use a boot disk lol! Now I'm really in a pickle

Well now I did myself in. I had no use for windows and I have nothing important on my computer, so I decided to just delete my second partition (sda2) and start the whole deal over and just get linux on there. Well....the installer STILL won't work on the cd, so I can't install knoppix anywhere, and now both windows and linux are gone. Therefore my computer has no operating system lol. I'm only able to post here on another computer, not my own. Does anyone know why that stupid installer keeps saying the installation requirements haven't been fulfilled? I'm now stuck with an empty 35gb partition and a 34gb swap.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi32
    ... Does anyone know why that stupid installer ....
    It's my understanding that things, like an installer, can't be stupid, only people (like those who ignore warnings no to do something) can be stupid. I don't have a way to install Knoppix for you, but would you consider a simple net-install of Debian Etch, which should go very smoothly and should allow you to install anything or even everything in Knoppix?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

I know of course a device can't be stupid it's a figure of speech lol. However in theory this should work....so it is very frustrating. I might consider your suggestion when I've exhausted all other options, but I'm not ready to give up knoppix yet. I just tried my old 5.0.1 cd but it still has a problem of freezing up about 30 seconds after you get to the desktop.

OK, it's certainly your choice. I had thought that maybe by now you might be receptive to the idea that Knoppix might not be suitable for installing, but apparently I was wrong. I am curious, do you think that once you do manage to get it installed, that will be the end of the problems with a Knoppix install? And what is it about installing Knoppix that seems more atractive than painlessly installing Debian, the OS it is built from, and then using apt-get to install all of the packages you want?
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

No no I haven't dismissed the fact that this copy might be corrupted or something. In fact the only reason I'm upgrading to 5.1.1 is because my 5.0.1 version that I had previously on my hard drive was corrupt and had numerous problems. I may have to consider your suggestion in the long run, but I don't give up easy

I'm fairly new to linux OS so could you suggest a site where I could download the Debian? I assume Debian.org has what you're talking about, but I have to make sure. Thanks.

Yea, it's all at debian.org. As long as you have a high speed connection that you can use to install I would suggest the net-install og Etch (testing, Sarge is just way too old). There's a lot of stuff on the debian website, so here's a link right to the ISO for etch. Pick the right iso for you from the top line of links, most likely the i386 iso but maybe one of the 64 bit versions depending on your target system's cpu. Even if you still want to fight with Knoppix, now that you have a nice empty computer would be a great time to try a Debian install and see how it goes (select the Desktop environment when you get to the choice of type of install). You can always install it, look it over and wipe everything out and go back to trying to get Knoppix working. I personally like installing an OS like Debian a few times just so I can play with the different install options, and an empty system makes that safe and simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast