Hi all, hope your all well.

Well, i have managed to delete the primary active partition on my pc which had my old OS(XP) on it as i wanted to get rid. I installed a fresh copy of windows onto another partition and now my pc wont boot into windows at all. the second install of windows is fine, the pc just doesn't boot it as its not the active partition.

i ran my windows repair console, changed the active partition to the new os etc but i still think the mbr is screwed, as when i turn on my pc it doesnt boot anything, no error or anything just sits there after post. Tried fixmbr etc..

I loaded a knoppix live cd to see what was going on, i opened up qtparted and it shows my windows installation(the new one) as fine under sdb2 and it is set correctly as the active partition, but the computer still doesnt boot. how can i fix my mbr from knoppix?

Also, i was trying to copy some files to my external hd, and it wouldn't let me write to the external hd even though i right clicked on the icon and changed it to writable. Any way to fix this?

Thanks