Hi Everyone
I've just tried installing Knoppix 7.0 from the magazine DVD [on the hard disk of my ageing Compaq desktop] [with the cheatcodes nodrm and no3d for my ageing graphics card] and towards the end of the process got an error message saying the install or copying had not worked properly. So I clicked on the option of repeating the install process but first I checked the sha1sums of the files on the dvd against the values given in the DVD text file. All seemed correct except for the main KNOPPIX file which gave a different value from the expected. I checked this file again and the value was repeatable but still different from the 'official' value.

So then I thought I've got nothing to lose [except half an hour of computer time] by repeating the install and then choosing not to repeat the process [again] when the error message appeared - upon which the installer completed, grub installed and I rebooted and everything seems fine. All the programmes I've tried seem to work fine, as far as i've found so far, so what is the error message picking up? Any ideas please, anyone? Maybe in this particular case it is safe to ignore the error message?

Best wishes, John