Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Knoppix 7.0.4-EN CD & DVD notes & comments

  1. #1
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    637

    Knoppix 7.0.4-EN CD & DVD notes & comments

    Hello,
    I just found out that Knoppix 7.0.4 is already available on some of the mirrors...
    Cheers,
    Gilles

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,358
    Knoppix 7.0.4 is now available at:
    http://knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

    I've briefly tried out the following elements of 7.0.4-CD-EN with success:
    synaptic, leafpad, lo-calc, wifi, iceweasel, flash, sound, lxterm, pcmanfm,
    testcd on livecd & live usb, image viewer, flash-knoppix, compiz, ccsm, re-
    start compiz, firewall, screen-savers, screenshot & gnome log file viewer.

    Knoppix 7.0.4 is an elegant, up-to-date and responsive OS.
    A few rough edges of versions 7.0 thru 7.3 have been eliminated.
    The Linux kernel is upgraded to 3.4.9, PCManFM to 1.0, IceWeasel to 10.0.6,
    and Synaptic has been made to behave. A CD-Size LiveUSB on SanDisk Cruzer
    boots to wifi on-line in 30 seconds.

    A few 'upstream' problems remain, but these are minor:
    An infrequent-but-pesky frame-loss problem persists; screen-savers with
    'ripples' still cause problems for some with Intel graphics; and, reportedly,
    some non-US keyboard mappings are now troublesome when used with no3d.

    On the first boot of your new Knoppix, use the cheatcode 'knoppix testcd'
    or 'knoppix testdvd' to verify the KNOPPIX compressed image. This might
    save a lot of time diagnosing any of the infinite number of ways a bad
    compressed image may make Knoppix behave strangely. It takes a one-time
    effort of less than 90 seconds to verify the compressed image.
    Last edited by utu; 08-24-2012 at 12:04 AM.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    15

    changelog? release notes?

    Title says it all.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    19

    Announcement in progress ;-)

    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    Knoppix 7.0.4 is now available at:
    http://knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

    I've briefly tried out the following elements of 7.0.4-CD-EN with success:
    synaptic, leafpad, lo-calc, wifi, iceweasel, flash, sound, lxterm, pcmanfm,
    testcd on livecd & live usb, image viewer, flash-knoppix, compiz, ccsm, re-
    start compiz, firewall, screen-savers, screenshot & gnome log file viewer.

    Knoppix 7.0.4 is an elegant, up-to-date and responsive OS.
    A few rough edges of versions 7.0 thru 7.3 have been eliminated.
    The Linux kernel is upgraded to 3.4.9, PCManFM to 1.0, IceWeasel to 10.0.6,
    and Synaptic has been made to behave. A CD-Size LiveUSB on SanDisk Cruzer
    boots to wifi on-line in 30 seconds.

    A few 'upstream' problems remain, but these are minor:
    An infrequent-but-pesky frame-loss problem persists; screen-savers with
    'ripples' still cause problems for some with Intel graphics; and, reportedly,
    some non-US keyboard mappings are now troublesome when used with no3d.

    On the first boot of your new Knoppix, use the cheatcode 'knoppix testcd'
    or 'knoppix testdvd' to verify the KNOPPIX compressed image. This might
    save a lot of time diagnosing any of the infinite number of ways a bad
    compressed image may make Knoppix behave strangely. It takes a one-time
    effort of less than 90 seconds to verify the compressed image.
    Apoligies again. I failed to announce 7.0.3 at all because of time constraints, and (as usual) uploaded the new 7.0.4 images before announcing so they have time to distribute across the mirrors. I'm currently restructuring my website in order to have consistent english/german pages and a more obvious and clear overview about what we actually do at Knopper.Net, within the Knoppix 7.0.4 announcement will also be integrated. I'll take the weekend for this task.

    About the reported "keyboard issue": I think what you mean is the fact that metacity (the window manager used in no3d mode) is now based on GTK3 and custom hotkey configuration has disappeared from the code. So, I have currently no way to let Alt-F1, Alt-F2 and the "Print" key work in metacity, though they still continue to work in the default 3D windowmanager compiz fusion, which shares themes and some libraries with metacity to keep a consistent look&feel between 3D and no3d modes.

    I removed the "ripples" modes from the automatic choice of screensaver modes, so I wonder why you still got them. Maybe you used your old overlay with your own .xscreensaverrc, which overrides the new settings in the read-only compressed image.

    About the infrequent missing window frames problem in compiz: I'm trying to catch this for a long time, but still did not find out what causes gtk-window-decorator to fail starting up sometimes. It's about 2 or 3 of 100 boots for my testing machines. I gave the window decoration plugin a higher priority now. However, if you got windows with borders and title, you can still "restart compiz" from the menu which will fix it.

    There are some new things in 7.0.4 apart from just updates, which I will document in the release notes later. Well, as a short list: ExFAT support, pcmanfm 1.0 which is not in Debian yet, new wine (DVD version), "install additional components" now tries a safe way to install the flash plugin on request, and I caught the "wheezy" error that kept synaptic from starting in 7.0.3. Also, gprsconnect and modemlink for using your mobile phone as wireless modem, should work again now.

    Regards
    -Klaus

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    637
    Hello,
    Please find in here a Knoppix 7.0.4 minimal VMware virtual machine with the latest VMware Workstation tools 9.0.0 installed:
    http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/115...675#post127675
    This vm still requires the Knoppix 7.0.4 CD or DVD.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    116
    Annoyance I've noted on 7.0.x incl 7.0.4 on some nvidia cards 7800 and 8800 maybe more systems is repetitived blanking of the screen (ie, 10-15secons On, 2 Seconds Blanked Off) dont think it related to what I've read (nvidia driver / compis usage / powerthrottle on card mhz speed change) but for a workaround to not using the no3d cheat code on the kernel command line append drm_kms_helper.poll=0 Will stop screen flickering but I think problems is still there.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonon View Post
    Annoyance I've noted on 7.0.x incl 7.0.4 on some nvidia cards 7800 and 8800 maybe more systems is repetitived blanking of the screen (ie, 10-15secons On, 2 Seconds Blanked Off) dont think it related to what I've read (nvidia driver / compis usage / powerthrottle on card mhz speed change) but for a workaround to not using the no3d cheat code on the kernel command line append drm_kms_helper.poll=0 Will stop screen flickering but I think problems is still there.
    I've seen the occasional "blank" 2 or 3 times directly after starting up when using the framebuffer gma500_gfx on an eeepc 1101 HA, but surprisingly, it goes away after a while. It may be related to system load, which is high at the beginning, and could be a timing problem in the X server which skips interrupts or cannot do refreshs in time. I have no explanation why it happens on nvidia, too, but the option drm_kms_helper.poll=0 sounds interesting. It may be that the X server needs a while to find the correct interval to read possible mode setting changes, and "blanks" if it gets an invalid mode or timeout back from the chipset. Do the "blanks" disappear for you after a while, or is it rather a constant flickering every 10 seconds, indefinitely, when you boot tithout the option?

    Regards
    -Klaus

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by knopper View Post
    I've seen the occasional "blank" 2 or 3 times directly after starting up when using the framebuffer gma500_gfx on an eeepc 1101 HA, but surprisingly, it goes away after a while. It may be related to system load, which is high at the beginning, and could be a timing problem in the X server which skips interrupts or cannot do refreshs in time. I have no explanation why it happens on nvidia, too, but the option drm_kms_helper.poll=0 sounds interesting. It may be that the X server needs a while to find the correct interval to read possible mode setting changes, and "blanks" if it gets an invalid mode or timeout back from the chipset. Do the "blanks" disappear for you after a while, or is it rather a constant flickering every 10 seconds, indefinitely, when you boot tithout the option?

    Regards
    -Klaus
    Yeah when my brother upgraded from 6.7 to 7.0.2 from linux magizine when he got to his desktop, his screen would blank indefinitely, at the time I tired to help him but wasnt paying much attention because I wasnt having the problem (Im a little more savvy with linux but not much). I think he tried installing offical nvidia drivers and he ended up using some cheat code as I suggested. I could not remember which one at the time. He has an 8800 ultra. I downloaded 7.0.4 for myself last night and the same thing started happened on my computer with 7800 ultra. I didn't want to go disabling stuff with cheat codes so just searched the problem on google and it does look to be cropping up in a lots of places. The setting suggested worked so I thought i'd just leave the info here, today I learned nomodeset will work too. dmesg shows at 10 second intervals nouveau load detected on output A. Screen blanks in console (ctrl+alt+f1) aswell. I dont know the cause because but 7.0.2 was fine for me which is strange, only thing I can think are common to us are DVI-VGA adaptors in use, KVM switchs in use or because of GS versions of cards? even in windows opening the control panel causes a screen blank that I've never noticed with any other nvidia cards.
    Last edited by jacksonon; 08-28-2012 at 05:13 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    116
    Confirmed that this happens when connected through a kvm switche

  10. #10
    Are SDXC flash memory cards supported by Knoppix 7.0.4?



    Have recently acquired a Lexar Professional 400x 64GB SDXC fkash memory card for my camera, and discovered that neither Knoppix 7.0.2 nor Puppy Lupuplus 5.2.8 can mount this card either on my Toshiba’s internal SD slot, nor on the Delkin USB3.0 card reader connected to a pci-expressbus adapter. Both distributions are able to read and write older/smaller (8GB) SDHC cards on both external and internal readers.


    In Puppy, the system was unable to detect the presence of the card in either position, while Knoppix displayed an icon for it in both locations, but could only display the label of the card “Nikon D800“, but not the size or the contents.
    Worse, an 8GB CF card inserted in the USB3,0 reader, which is normally perfectly accessible from both Puppy and Knoppix could not be accessed either, even after the SDXC card was removed.


    Windows 7 had no trouble reading the Lexar SDXC in either position. Using the internal slot, the files copied to the laptop’s hard drive at 21.4MB/s, and at 35MB/s using the USB3.0 connection.

    Is there a fix in Knoppix 7.0.4?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •