Thread: kio_fish

kio_fish

In the lastest release, kio_fish works fine when going out from a machine running Knoppix to another running Red Hat, but I cannot get one Knoppix machine to kio_fish to another Knoppix machine. I have been trying "fish://knoppix@IP#". Is there a secret, or is Knoppix missing something that prevents a remote log-in?

Senior Member registered user

Re: kio_fish

Quote Originally Posted by Neal C.
    Is there a secret, or is Knoppix missing something that prevents a remote log-in?
    Can you login to the other box via ssh? Only if ssh works, fish will work.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Knoppix does not start ssh by default, but it is included.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal C.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. Knoppix does not start ssh by default, but it is included.
    sudo /etc/init.de/ssh start
    sudo passwd knoppix

is everything you need!

cu

Fabian

I tried that and get "no such file or directory..."

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    I tried that and get "no such file or directory..."

Regards,
    It is a typo it should be sudo /etc/init.d/sshd start not sudo /etc/init.de/ssh start.

OK, I thought so....

I'm having a little problem with this. I have my students in a lab of 24 PCs running the "poor man's dual boot." the 25th machine was knoppix-installer'd as debian. Now I created accounts on this "server" so my kids can save their work in /home. Unfortuantely, using ssh with scp or fish is hit or miss. Some kids have no problem, but some can't even connect! Is this because they should always start ssh as you describe? If so, why can some kids connect and others not? I thought that sshd was started at boot time. I suppose sshd needs to be started on both the client and the server end, right?

Let me get this straight.
    So I need to setup sshd on the server
    /etc/init.d/sshd start

and my students, as clients, need to
    /etc/init.d/sshd start
    and then
    ssh -l sally 10.10.2.64
    and then
    scp sally@10.10.2.64:/home/sally/MyProg.java .
    or
    scp MyProg.java sally@10.10.2.64:/home/sally
    or
    "KONQUEROR fish://sally@10.10.2.64"

right...? I don't have them use /etc/init.d/sshd start - maybe that's the problem? In other words, do my clients need to use sshd start before ssh and do they then need ssh before scp or fish? Also, do I have to sshd start on the server (where my students save work to /home) first?

TIA,

I have a similar problem with X -query 10.10.2.64 - I can't get this to work at all.

If I knoppix-installer all 25 PCs, I was thinking of adding X -query to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to automatically have my student's X-server boot to the "server's" X-server so they go directly to a login screen with their userids and /home dirs. Is there something else I have to initialize for this to work?

BTW, do I need to update /etc/hosts for X -query to work if I'm using raw ip addresses? What about X -broadcast?

Sorry I'm so clueless wrt setting up a LAN....

TIA,