Thread: LCD panel says: Sync out of Range

LCD panel says: Sync out of Range

Knoppix 3.3 boots part way, but when it switches to X the screen goes blank, and my Viewsonic 18" LCD monitor displays a message "Sync out of Range". This message comes from the monitor itself. Video card is Matrox G550.

The text dispayed at bootup looks like it detected the video card and monitor capabilities correctly (max 1280x1024, etc) and Knoppix boots completely but at the point it loads xwindows it goes blank and that's when the monitor displays "Synch out of Range". Ctl-Alt-Del and Enter shuts down. I've tried specifying the Xhrefresh=70 and xvrefresh=60 at bootup with same result. What now?

Senior Member registered user

Re: LCD panel says: Sync out of Range

Quote Originally Posted by Leeb
    Knoppix 3.3 boots part way, but when it switches to X the screen goes blank, and my Viewsonic 18" LCD monitor displays a message "Sync out of Range". This message comes from the monitor itself. Video card is Matrox G550.

The text dispayed at bootup looks like it detected the video card and monitor capabilities correctly (max 1280x1024, etc) and Knoppix boots completely but at the point it loads xwindows it goes blank and that's when the monitor displays "Synch out of Range". Ctl-Alt-Del and Enter shuts down. I've tried specifying the Xhrefresh=70 and xvrefresh=60 at bootup with same result. What now?
    Try vsync= and hsync= I believe those are the cheat codes for LCD screens. You may also want to try fb1240x1024 vsync= to use the framebuffer and rate.

Thanks, but no luck.

I tried
    hsync=80 vsync=60
    fb1280x1024
    vsync=60 fb1280x1024

Same result "Synch Out of Range"

I verified in my monitor documentation that it supports frequencies in these ranges.

EDIT: Success!! this worked: fb1280x1024 vsync=60
    Problem was I didn't realize that "fb1280x1024" is a kernal, and takes the place of the work "knoppix" in the boot statement.

I have a Samsung LCD monitor with the same symptoms but have never done anything about it since Knoppix boots up normally during out of sync screen. Is this your case also or do you have other problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Leeb

EDIT: Success!! this worked: fb1280x1024 vsync=60
    Problem was I didn't realize that "fb1280x1024" is a kernal, and takes the place of the work "knoppix" in the boot statement.
    Doh! Sorry I usually mention that but forgot, good to hear you got it going BTW.

G3Guy,

I seemed to have had the same symptoms that this thread was started about. My issues were with a ATI All-In-Wonder Pro, and a Viewsonic va700. Knoppix would inadvertantly send a startup going into the X-Window screen of something like 28 h and 29 v sync refresh - which is WAY out of range for the VS monitor. My screen would display the Red pop-up window from the monitor and report Out Of Range - Change the sync - of which, the Viewpanel configs don't allow you to change, since it does run auto-sync.

Until I get the "Save Knoppix Configuration" option, or I have to remove the knoppix.sh where the Config is saved, I have to remember to enter the "screen=1024x768 vrefresh=60" to my boot up. If I don't, I end up with Knoppix fully booted, but no video to view it on.

Cuddles

hello.

my problem is that i installed rugby 2004 and it installed alrite. but when i want to play it and the screen goes black and then says "sync out of range".

im not too good with computers so plz help.
    and i m not sure wat most of these terms mean. like vrefresh etc.
    so if u culd plz explain in simple terms

fanx.

Hello footyrulz2003,

Computer and Monitor 101:
    Computers use a video card to translate information internal inside the computer, to electrical information to be displayed on your monitor. This information is transfered by use of a 15 pin cable, it looks like a serial cable, which only has 9 pins, with an extra row of pins on it.

The problem is that monitors need to know a lot of information from your video card: screen size (resolution, usually two numbers, one for up and down, the other for left and right, and most always in PIXELS), how many colors (16 colors, 256 colors, 16bit, 32bit, and this number reflects the amount of colors that can be displayed, or are displayed.) Monitors also need to know WHAT to display, this being the most of the data going to your monitor. This DATA is sent to the monitor and tells it where to display a PIXEL and what COLOR.

Monitors are constantly getting this "flow" of data, starting at the upper left corner of the screen, the monitor REFRESHES the "dots" going from top left to top right, then one line lower, left to right, all the way down the monitor, till it gets to the bottom of the screen. When the monitor reaches the bottom right of the screen, it starts all over again.

During all of this REFRESHING, the monitor needs one more piece of information. SYNCRONIZATION, or sync, for short. Monitors have gotten a lot smarter than in the old days, but then again, they had to, Consider the old monitors; the only had to deal with one type of color, or pixel, on and off. The data sent to these monitors only had to deal with turning one pixel on and off, not like today, where you can have billions of colors in one pixel.

SYNC is sent to the monitor at certain intervals, and at specific frequencies. e.g. 60hz, 70hz, etc... The monitor "watches" for this sync, and sets itself to it, these monitors are called auto-sync. The problem is, as you found out, that a video card can send a SYNC to a monitor, that is "outside" of its capability. Thus, you get "out-of-range" or "out-of-sync" messages.

Think of the SYNC as a way for two electrical devices to SYNCRONIZE what they are doing. Or, in simple terms, you walk into a party, and two people are already having a communication, and you walk in in the middle of it. You probably are going to have to sit and listen for a short time to come "up to speed" on their conversation, in essence, you need to come into sync with the conversation. A monitor will also try to do this, and when it can't, you get that message, out of sync, or out of range.

Monitors can handle many SYNC's, and as the resolution, size of the screen, gets larger, the sync gets smaller, usually. This is because the amount of data needed to update the screen is taking more and more of the flow, and less time is available to sending the sync. (simple terms)

One last thing: SYNC comes in three flavors though, you knew it can't be that simple. One way to send the SYNC is when the monitor is refreshing the horizontal lines, another on the vertical, and lastly is both. This is where you get VREFRESH, HREFRESH, VSYNC, HSYNC, etc... VREFRERSH = Vertical REFRESH, HREFRESH = Horizontal REFRESH, VSYNC = Vertical SYNC, etc...

Your monitor is pretty smart, but in many ways, it is very stupid. A monitor only trys to do what the Video Card is telling it to do. If you set your video card to 1024x768x32 (that translates to 1024 pixels from left to right, 768 pixels from up to down, and 32 bits of colors, or billions of colors) and you monitor can't handle that, it will either go blank, or more likely, show flashy, unviewable, lines across your screen. If this happens, you have to adjust your video card to what your monitor can handle.

In windows OS systems, something I know well, your video card is setup with drivers, that tell the Operating System, what your video card can handle, and same with your monitor. The OS trys to figure out what you can, and can't do, and only allows you to change these to what it thinks they can both handle. The problem is that an OS may interpret what either your video card, your monitor, or both, can handle, and let you change these setting outside what these two devices can do. Fear not though, as in Knoppix, and many other OS's, you can FORCE a video card to a setting, hopefully to what it can handle, to resolve any issues of misrepresentation - i.e. out of sync and out of range problems.

Hopefully that helps, I went from memory on most of this stuff, so don't flame me if I pushed the "simple" too much
    Cuddles

hello.

that explanation was pretty good. thanx for that.

and i changed the game configuration to
    "1024 by 768 Format: D3DFMT_R5G6B5"

and the game worked for a couple of weeks. then i tried it again and the same problem ocurred.

the message "sync out of range" appeared again.

so what should i do?

Out of range during boot!

I too have a similar problem with my NEC MultiSync LCD 1545V, but its a bit diffrent.. unfortunately I lose video signal during the boot (command line text) BEFORE it even gets to the GUI,

as soon as X windows starts my monitor starts picking up a signal, and I get through the whole session without issue.. untill it's time to shutdown..
    I quit the X window session, time for more command line.. WHoomf, out of range again. and i cant see a thing....

So can I fix this? Gnoppix doesnt seem to have an issue. I'm really excited to install this on my HD, but if this keeps up after its installed theres no way I'm gonna keep it.

help!
    Nyk.