Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: help needed with lm sensors

Senior Member registered user

help needed with lm sensors

I have a hard install of knoppix 3.3 debian style. I need to keep an eye on my cpu's temperature in linux (I am in linux 90% of the time now ). I have installed lm sensors and its dependencies and ran sensor-detect and followed its instructions which are:
    To load everything that is needed, edit /etc/modules and add the modules
    listed here to it:

#----cut here----
    # I2C adapter drivers
    i2c-isa
    # I2C chip drivers
    sis5595
    it87
    #----cut here----

Then, run /etc/init.d/modutils

To make the sensors modules behave correctly, add these lines to
    /etc/modutils/local and run update-modules:

#----cut here----
    # I2C module options
    alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
    #----cut here----

I follow those instructions exactly, I didn't have /etc/modutils/local so made one. But I am consistently getting the error "cant find modules" i2c-isa, sis5595 and it87

could someone clue in newbie me where I am going wrong here? There are conflicting instructions in the lm-sensors FAQ and what sensor-detect tells me to do and I am following above since it is run for machine and I figure it is the correct way for this machine. Help is very much needed, I am tired of rebooting to check my temps in bios or windows.

Different distributions of linux are organized differently. The equivalent of /etc/modutils/local in Debina is probably named something else. So just creating that directory and adding what needs adding won't help. Instead, you should search around lm-sensors documentation or debian foryums and find out where that stuff needs to go on a Debian system to work correctly.

Thank you, arkaine - I lurk in debian forums and groups but have never asked a question yet and it seems like my knoppix is not quite from the "pure" (don't know what to call it, not meant disparagingly at all) installs they have, very little is black&white to this newbie here. I don't want to knock the debian forums but I know there is a bit of a "hush" when someone mentions they installed it via knoppix. When I run into a problem with a particular program, it is the very devil trying to bring up something I can follow and say "hey, that's my prob right there"

I concentrate my problem-searching here and in linuxquestions.org Closest "match" to me in tribulations is Cuddles with her hd install of 3.3 and she did get the dreaded lm-sensors going. Just isn't sure how she did. All along I have been saying, if Cuddles got it going, I can

I compiled/installed a vanilla kernel to hopefully make this lm-sensors happy. After totally blowing my Lilo doing that I am a little gun-shy at having a go at the sensors from scratch. Will probably do the dirty deed this weekend (or not )

Member registered user

Re: help needed with lm sensors

Quote Originally Posted by nishtya
    I have a hard install of knoppix 3.3 debian style. I need to keep an eye on my cpu's temperature in linux (I am in linux 90% of the time now ). I have installed lm sensors and its dependencies and ran sensor-detect and followed its instructions which are:
    Hi nishtya,

I used Kanotix because it had acpi support built into the kernel. Here's an outline of how I did it .................

Installed Kanotix found here :-
    http://kanotix.com/info/index.php

Then ran the "install-kernel-source-vanilla.sh" found here http://kanotix.com/files/

Lastly downloaded and compiled "I2C 2.8.4 and LM Sensors 2.8.6"
    (that's why you needed the kernel source above) from here :-
    http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/download.html

Apt-get install ksensors

That's the short version but now happily running ksensor showing Temp and Fan speed etc.

Hope this helps
    rob

PS the install-kernel-source-vanilla.sh needed for installing vmware too

Thanks, monky. Am close to trying another distro and kanotix is near top of list. I have now finally managed to recompile and install the 2.4.24-xfs custom kernel and compiled it WITH i2c and lm-sensors and it boots! but no, lm-sensors is not loading modules properly if at all and I still can't get the sensors gong. The recompile/install of "new" semi-vanilla (hey, can I trademark that one kernel requires I recompile/install nvidia and haven't bothered yet - if I can't get lm-sensors to work I can't stick with this knoppix/debian so no point in going through the nvidia driver hell if I am not going further with this.

Kano's scripts are great, I thought him the greatest thing since peanut butter - although I was crushed when he responded rather, err rather not kindly, when I emailed about a problem with getting the vanilla source from his script that he tells me it is NOT meant for knoppix (why does the page I link to say kanotix and knoppix then http://kanotix.com/files/ ?) anyhow - probably will have to switch to a different distro that provides "native" support with this lm-sensor thing. It has been my toughest linux noob challenge to date (I have been trying to get it going for over a week) and maybe I am just not up it.

Nishtya,

I dug around my "download" source area, trying to figure out "just what I did" to get lm-sensors working...

This is what I came up with...

First, I tried the "usual" failed attempt of using apt-get, I trink I tried to apt-get -u install xsensors - which had a slew of things it "requested" and "recommended" - xsensors was the only thing I though I needed, and I "knew" I needed lm-sensors, so that was also ( I think ) attempted on an apt-get install - this process failed to get anything "working"

Next was following the thread in "off-topic questions" on this board, with the topic "lm-sensors readings" -=- or something like that... Which led me to using compiled source code -=- As far as I know, I never was given any information about kernel problems, and what you are dealing with, vanilla sources...

I downloaded i2c and lm-sensors into a "common" folder I setup just off the mount point of my MAIN hard drive, where Knoppix was hard drive installed on -=- permissions on these folders were: Owner: anyone who created it, and Group: users -=- which all of the users on my system have been added onto this group. Owner/Group/Other permissions were setup on these folders as "full access" (rwxrwxrwx)

(not sure about this one, but way back when I was trying to get my old WinModem working on my old system, I found out that too many folders having "spaces" in their names, caused many "compiled" source code issues, they wouldn't work right, so, I use non-spaced folder names now, and have the source folders as close to the root, or "/", as possible)

This is the source code, versions, and folders they were un-tar'ed into:
    Code:
    root@Polaris:/gblusr/Installs/lmsensors# ls
    i2c-2.8.4         lm_sensors-2.8.5         xsensors
    i2c-2.8.4.tar.gz  lm_sensors-2.8.5.tar.gz
    root@Polaris:/gblusr/Installs/lmsensors#

root@Polaris:/gblusr/Installs/lmsensors# ls -la
    total 880
    drwxrwxrwx    4 root     users        4096 Mar 29 14:25 .
    drwxrwxrwx    7 root     users        4096 Apr  2 13:33 ..
    drwxrwxr-x    8 500      500          4096 Feb  7 15:42 i2c-2.8.4
    -rw-------    1 cuddles  cuddles    137558 Mar 29 14:18 i2c-2.8.4.tar.gz
    drwxrwxr-x   12 500      500          4096 Mar  5 17:09 lm_sensors-2.8.5
    -rw-------    1 cuddles  cuddles    726736 Mar 29 14:21 lm_sensors-2.8.5.tar.gz
    -rwxrwxrwx    1 root     users        6247 Mar 29 13:46 xsensors
    root@Polaris:/gblusr/Installs/lmsensors#
    After running tar on both source code packages that I downloaded, from my memory, all I did was follow the directions on the download page that I got the source from. i2c was done first, then lm-sensors -=- I was then able to use the apt-get install'ed xsensors to monitor with... I hated the interface, and was made aware of GKrellm - and after apt-get install'ing that, it has been running without fail.

I think I was lucky on this one, I thought this one was going to turn out as bad as my ALSA attempt, and THAT was not a pretty sight

Hope this helps, and I wish I could help more, most of my information came from the web site provided in the "other" thread, and I basically went through the "quick" install from the site, after doing some reading on the "faq" link on that site.

Wish I could remember more,
    Cuddles

I just dug around "The Lounge" forum, and found the link I used, it was provided by Windos_No_Thanks...

http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/

I used that, to get to a "Lm-Sensors" web site, and used the "download" link at the top, that took me directly to the i2c and lm-sensors downloads, which are what you see in my previous post...

I tried to "retrace" my steps, and locate where I saw the information on "what do I do after I download these things?" -=- but I can't find the documentation, and I am quite sure, other than the tar command, I needed more help than "assumptions" on what to do next... (as though it might sound like I compile source packages all the time, I don't, and "something" had to have told me to do the "make", etc...)

Maybe this might be a little more help [?]
    Cuddles

Howdy, cuddles :P thanks, but feels like I am beating a dead horse here. FWIW, I even managed to even get ALSA loaded in on one of my custom kernels without a hitch. Getting to be quite the kernel-compiler, ain't I? Though not a clue what I am actually doing Betcha I could even do the nvidia thing now from source Basically I just follow what people post here there and everywhere as well as having read through all the sensors faqs I can get my hands on.

But my waterloo, lm-sensors compile fails every time with the same darned error 1. something about initialization source not being stable or consistent? I suppose I should take the time and copy down it down, a lot to google for though. It does not come up in the faqs here so it must be something uncommon and specific to my particular config Am going to give it one more try tonight before packing it in for good. Agoogling for lm sensors and debian got me one method I haven't tried yet, so here's crossing fingers. If I can lick this thing nothin' gonna stop me ever again

Good Luck

Cuddles
    PS -=- sheesh, had install the nvidia If you can do that, I am sure you can find a job anywhere as a Linux SysAdmin -=- I was lucky to have Stephen give me the Kano's script on that one, so much flew by the screen, I'd never have the "guts" to do it myself...

Again, crossing my fingers, hope you get it.

oh, shoot cuddles - I am compiling now and I am very much afraid this one will work. Why am I afraid? Oh, well, in the course of patching the i2c thing I had to su to root to get something into (or out of? the tmp directory). I, err, failed to exit root and am compiling that way. (Do you hear my hair standing on end?) I don't know what horror befalls a kernel compiled under root. I am afraid to ask

I can't believe actually that fakeroot worked for root? Oh my gosh, I guess it will be back to the drawing board next weekend. I don't dare boot this new "rooted" kernel, dare I?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast