Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: file not found error using poor mans install method that worked on another box

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbojangles View Post
    2. The bootloader (grub) can not find the kernel or initrd.
    You should really then try capricony's suggestion and at least show us that you have tried it, ie copy knoppix 'linux' and 'minirt' to partition 6, and modify 'menu.lst' to reflect the new location, and remove (hd0,0) from menu.lst, as likely the (hd0,0) thingie might have choked up your current grub version. The knoppix directory you should still keep it at hd(0,0) as without modification I don't think knoppix is able to handle ext4.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbojangles View Post
    I wish to say first that I appreciate the helpful replies to my problem. Second, maybe I have not provided enough detail, but that is the process of learning.
    1. The box has no dvd drive. The dvd files are extracted from the iso image.
    Well, that sounds good, but it might be best to take a fresh approach. I suggest you free up partition 1 (give it 8 GB) and use the flash-install routine to format it (to FAT32, but that's good enough) and copy the files to it, starting from the cd (since you don't have a dvd drive.) It (the installer) will modify the grub entries automagically, too. Once you have that working, you can replace the KNOPPIX folder with the one from the dvd-iso and it will give you the benefit of a dvd-install without having a DVD drive. Alternatively, you can do a flash-install to a flash drive on a machine with a dvd drive, then boot that flash on the target box, then flash-install using that to the first partition as described above.
    2. The bootloader (grub) can not find the kernel or initrd. I see the grub entry for knoppix echoed to the screen ending with the file not found error 15. There is no kernel booting.
    I dunno why, but if what you want is something that works, that will be produced by the above procedure(s).
    3. If there is a debug script for this problem, I would like to try it.
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no such script.
    4. A knoppix live cd does work.
    That's good reason to think the procedures outlined will work. You can spend a lot of time and energy on the failed install, and maybe (probably) eventually figure it out, and learn something. However, life is short, so I'd recommend using the virtually-certain-to-work fresh install method, then examine what that process produced and compare to learn the same thing.

Happy computing!
    Krishna

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    It (the installer) will modify the grub entries automagically, too.
    That will be a very drastic thing to do. The first premise of the setup is a multiboot system, coexisting Windows, other Linuxes and Knoppix. Destroying grub will be the last thing that is needed here. Life will be very simple if that is acceptable.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kl522 View Post
    That will be a very drastic thing to do. The first premise of the setup is a multiboot system, coexisting Windows, other Linuxes and Knoppix. Destroying grub will be the last thing that is needed here.
    The grub entries are modified - grub certainly isn't destroyed. The Windows system I put Knoppix alongside coexists nicely with Knoppix., and I expect other Linuxes would be similarly presereved. It goes without saying that backing things up is the better part of valor...
    Life will be very simple if that is acceptable.
    Precisely.

Cheers!
    Krishna

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    The grub entries are modified - grub certainly isn't destroyed.
    I must have missed out something terribly obvious. I am not aware that the flash installation program ( aka /usr/bin/flash-knoppix ) is able to edit grub entries.

question for krisna.murphy

I tried the flash install using virtualbox a while back . It worked and I made a virtual install of knoppix. Using the same method described in your post, the first partition is windows fat 32, so I would reply 'no' when the flash installer asks to format the partition and to just copy the knoppix files. After the install, will I see a modified opensuse grub menu or will it be modified with a knoppix grub menu (containing all existing entries)?

So lucky you took that approach to the trying. Anyway to be blunt, I never believe that flash-knoppix has such capability to edit the grub menus. It must be a feature which the creator who does not even know.

I am posting with the poor mans install of knoppix. I cheated on this and used the cd to boot it. code: knoppix vga=0 boot=/dev/hda1 This was just to prove to myself that it will boot and that there is nothing wrong with the knoppix files on the hard drive. I feel that it also points to a problem with grub.

101 % it's a grub problem. Grub version upgrade will fix the problem. However I don't think any of us here will want to prescribe that. We are all nervous about such a prescription !

I read somewhere that someone has a problem with grub 0.97 and savedefault, because the savedefault thingie was introduced somewhere in the subversion of 0.97. Give it a shot maybe, remove the 'savedefault'.

Right now I am happy with a boot up. I will look into the grub update and usb install method. I have an old computer that I reformatted the hard drive on so that is my lab rat. A correction to my cheat code: fromhd=/dev/sda1. I also am using the cd version, not the dvd version. Will the synaptic utility install additional software using the persistant home directory?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast