Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome

Google Chrome

Any solutions known for running Google Chrome. This is no longer supported for knoppix since knoppix is not truly 64 bit. Google has dropped the support for non 64 bit debian/linux systems. Since the students are required to use Google Chrome Im looking at a real crisis before school starts back this fall. Several 100 student pcs use Knoppix. Thanks for your ideas.

Administrator Site Admin-
    I've been happy with Linux Mint for this purpose. Grab some of the 64 bit images while 17.3 is still available, version 18 is scheduled to drop multi-media support.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Thanks for that response. Im a diskless/zero client setup. I use a remastered version of KNOPPIX and after the remaster I copy the "big Knoppix" file to my CentOs pxe server. My clients boot via pxe and then load the big knoppix file. I love the hardware detection with Knoppix and its speed. Keep in mind I run this on over a 1000 devices/pcs here. I would be happy to run LMint if I could convert it to the posix file like knoppix and get the same hardware detection. Maybe you know a way? Ive attempted squashfs via a Debian image but hardware detection isnt as good, which forces me to find drivers that are sometimes hard to find.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by itman007 View Post
    Thanks for your ideas.
    Here's a conjecture you might want to consider:

FWIW, Chromium is supported by Linux Mint and Knoppix.
    Chromium is supposed to be an open source equivalent of Chrome.

Chrome 64-bit builds will be the default when compiling on 64-bit Linux. See
    https://www.chromium.org/developers/...64-bit-support

Linux Mint 17.3 LiveUSB isos are built with 64-bit kernels; presumably Mint 18's as well.
    Knoppixes also have 64-bit kernels, also offer Chromium as an app.

Eventually, Chrome may only work with 64-bit kernel OSes.
    However, it may be that Chrome may not require further 64-bit support from an OS, other than the kernel.

Maybe 64-bit Knoppix will work just fine with Chrome; if not, then maybe
    Knoppix with Chromium will serve your purposes.

I think it's possible that the real 64-bit requirements for Chromium may only be
    for a 64-bit cpu and a 64-bit-kernel-OS, and nothing more.

Here's an example I've run across with Knoppix, for example:
    UEFI often requires a 64-bit kernel, but doesn't demand any significant 64-bit library.
    Last edited by utu; 06-29-2016 at 06:37 PM.

UTU you lead me to believe by stating "Maybe 64bit Knoppix will work just fine with Chrome" that Knoppix will support 64 bit installers? If it does this would solve my issues. From my testing it will not. Please advise if you know how it will. Thanks greatly.

@itman007
    If it isn't great important to use the latest stable version of Google Chrome (51.0.2704.106 as of 23/June/2016), using old stable 32-bit version of Chrome (48.0.2564.116) may be an option. Files needed to run the old Chrome on KNOPPIX 7.4.2 are as follows,

google-chrome-stable_48.0.2564.116-1_i386.deb
    libappindicator1_0.4.92-2_i386.deb
    libdbusmenu-glib4_0.6.2-1_i386.deb
    libdbusmenu-gtk4_0.6.2-1_i386.deb
    libindicator7_0.5.0-1_i386.deb

Superman this is what Im running now but due to online testing requirements I must run latest version. Otherwise the testing administrator will complain and they must use Chrome and not Chromium even though I showed them it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by itman007 View Post
    UTU you lead me to believe by stating "Maybe 64bit Knoppix will work just fine with Chrome" that Knoppix will support 64 bit installers? If it does this would solve my issues. From my testing it will not. Please advise if you know how it will. Thanks greatly.
    I'm using 64-bit Mint 17.3 Xfce as I write this. Just earlier I installed what appears to be an amd64 version of Chromium which seems to be
    in working order, although I've not connected to Google with it. I'm presuming the same might be done with a 64-bit Knoppix 7.

It's not clear to me why Chrome would be absolutely essential to your effort, and I think 64-bit Mint 17.3 plus its Chromium might serve
    just as well.
    If you have a 64-bit Knoppix 7 you might see if it also has a 64-bit Chromium to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    If you have a 64-bit Knoppix 7 ...
    Knoppix 7.6.1 and Knoppix 7.7 both work with either 32-bit or 64-bit kernels.
    The knoppix cheat code at boot gives you 32-bit; the cheatcode knoppix64 gives you 64-bit.
    With 7.7, Knoppix automatically recognizes a 64-bit cpu and provides 64-bit, unless you change the boot script.

Knoppix 7.6 & 7.7 are equipped to provide 64-bit support for UEFI and memory purposes, but not necessarily
    64-bit support for all applications. I suspect the same it true for Mint 17/18 for which there are different isos for 32-bit & 64-bit.

I'm hoping that this limited 64-bit capability of Knoppix or Mint is adequate to provide all the 64-bit support
    that either Chrome or Chromium require. I think its possible that this may turn out to be nothing more than
    a UEFI support requirement.

This must be Google Chrome because the dept of education says students must be tested using the Google Chrome latest version web browser. No exceptions.
    Knoppix tells me it is i686 when given the arch command from root terminal. When I attempt to install Chrome I get a message stating "error processing archive googlechrome.deb package architecture (amd64) does not match system (i386)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast