Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 3.4 boot disk

about those boot floppies...

You know...under this same general support heading...about 6 or 7 posts before this one...a person gave a link to the floppies

i downloaded the *.img files they pointed me to
    an an an and...they actually werk

also...see the winimage they mention in the same post.

the link to the floppies is under this cat, (gs)
    6 - 7 posts prior to mine

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/eco2g...pix-stuff.html

there ya go...(spoon feedin) lol

it made me a little hot...that the chit chat went on about a mysterious
    boot disk...i mean..yeah, i had to find it...but seems like...your posts were so close to the answer (literally)...

winimage will write the *.img file to disk

GET YOUR COPY OF RAWWRITE @
    http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm

yeah..uranus....somethin somethin

get off the $#@#$ computer and clean your room!

you! goto Bed!

and you...you tramp! just kidding...

big fried chicken eatin...chain smokin...weezin...no-room cleanin...
    dirty car drivin...can't wait to get home and get BACK on the computer
    no code writin'...

<davinci mutters a few last in-coherent words...and drifts off sleep in his
    greasy recliner> <a chicken leg slides out of his thick fingers...onto the ashy carpet and doobie his dog...slowly sneaks closer to davincis chair...ultiimately...the dog will get the bone>

Senior Member registered user
    As the original poster, my answer has been resolved by this thread:

there is a way to make a bootdisk but loosing all SCSI and USB-modules iirc (so it definietly fits):

http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/CeBit/make_floppy_3.4.sh

I even burnt the resulting image to a thumbdrive partition so that I could boot a HD / CD install using a thumbdrive. Works great. No problems not having the SCSI and USB modules (yet).

Wanted to post satisfactory results to close out this thread.

Regards,

pau1
    I

Quote Originally Posted by newby
    Did you get it to read your CD? From looking around I am not the only person having the problems I described above and no one seems to know the answer. I had really hoped that Linux would be the solution to my problems, but I am beginning to wonder. All the blurbs made Knoppix sound like just the thing for the novice to try out Linux
    I am a newby but seem to dabble rather than to learn in any structured way. Pity about your experience with Knoppix 3.4 as previous versions did not seem to have this problem. It is pretty remarkable though so I wouldnt give up yet if I were you. My 3.4 cd, which I downloaded myself and checked, failed to load in any form other than "failsafe". I worked out a way of installing Knoppix onto one of my HD partitions nevertheless. I loaded in failsafe and after seeing the nice pretty GUI fully loaded then keyed in Ctl+Alt+F1. I was then presented with a scary bleak command line. Type in "knoppix-installer" and then follow the instructions. I always choose to boot from a floppy and the root partition, NOT the MBR as I dont want anything to interfere with Windoze which I run on the same PC. Once the install is complete take the CD out and boot with the floppy that installer created. Choose kernel 2.6.2. Then, either on the 1st boot or the 2nd boot, Knoppix will recreate your hardware profile as it recognises that you are in failsafe mode with hardly any hardware loaded. I dont know if you feel brave enough to try this, but if not try an older version of Knoppix eg 3.3 or 3.2 until they iron these bugs out (which is what I presume they are). Or try Mepis Linux which is based on Knoppix and very similar, and when I tried it, didnt seem to have the same cd reading problem.

I have tried the floppies made using the Knoppix utilities and the set downloaded following eco2geek suggestion.
    In both cases I have the same problem as other people, with a mesagge - cant find Knoppix System Files.

Any other line to follow?

Where can I download the floopyboot for Knoppix 3.3, that sees to have worked for other people?

Any help will be much appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    So we're basically back where we started. Still noone have been able to explain how to create boot floppies withouth being more or less a wizard with linux already, alternatively having an extra computer. Doh.
    You can download the Knoppix 3.4 (05-10-2004) floppy boot disk images from here:

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/eco2g...pix-stuff.html

Danger! Beware! Turn those pop-up blockers on first! Turn off those cookies!

(I hate Angelfire. Ads, pop-ups, and cookies galore. But it's free. Suggestions?)

Update: Turns out there are two sets of boot floppies -- one for kernel 2.4 and one for kernel 2.6. Plus, the second disk of each set doesn't have a filesystem on it, just a low level format. So all of you Windows users out there are going to have to use RawWrite for Windows to copy it.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by oski
    Where can I download the floopyboot for Knoppix 3.3, that sees to have worked for other people?
    With Knoppix 3.3, the bootfloppy image is there on the CD, in the /KNOPPIX directory, named "boot.img". And there's a DOS utility named "rawrite2.exe" there as well, with which you can create the bootfloppy, with the command

rawrite2 -f boot.img -d A

(or just use the "mkfloppy.bat" batch file).

It's Knoppix 3.4+ that requires two boot floppies. Knoppix 3.3 only needed the one.

I am a newbie getting frustrated by the dreary "sorry can't find Knoppix System Files, etc etc"

I am able to boot the notebook using the two floppies copied from different sources, and the one for v 3.3. In all cases I am using a CD bought from Cheeplinux v3.4, and in all cases I get the same mesagge.

I am using a Thinkpad 240, Celeron 400MHz, 192 Mb of memory and a 30Gb HDD. The CD ROM is an external PCMCIA.

In all cases the mesagge shows up after Knoppix is trying to initialise the CD ROM.

I tried the same procedures in another Laptop with internal CD ROM, and everything went perfect and smoothly without any problems!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it seems that Knoppix is not able to recognise my PCMCIA slot and/or the PCMCIA CD ROM. Is it correct??????

If it is how can I manage to get my CD ROM identified????

Help please

oski

With which program I can make a lowlevel format from the knoppix cd?

Junior Member registered user

It's Too Big!

Alrighty. I just got Knoppix and have it on a CD.

I downloaded the boot.img.

It's 1.40 MB. My Diskette is 1.38 (despite the fact that it says 1.44) MB.

What do I do?

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: It's Too Big!

Quote Originally Posted by Presently42
    It's 1.40 MB. My Diskette is 1.38 (despite the fact that it says 1.44) MB.

What do I do?
    You could try using a floppy with no bad sectors and not formatted as bootable. But I think it would be far better and far simplier if you just got Smart Boot Manager and either used that to make a floppy that can boot any bootable CD (not just Knoppix) or even installed it to your hard drive's MBR so you wouldn't even need a floppy.

Another program that can do this and has a number of additional features is XOSL. XOSL has a nicer menu system, can hide some partitions during booting, can feed keystrokes to the booting application, includes Ranish Partition Manager, can boot your computer from any hard disk, any CD drive or any floppy, and more. It is somewhat more complex to set up, but not overly complex if you can follow instructions.

Junior Member registered user

Alright.

Well, I managed to get it to start up. Thank you.

However, I now have the (possibly infamous?) Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry message.

I've started a new thread, some where... about this.

Rath of Windows, perhaps?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast