Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HDD install with KNX2HD and KNX-HDINSTALL easier than ever

The next screen just gives me the option to partition. As soon as I manually create two primary partitions. . .first 3800MB bootable and the second 400MB. . .then when I write and quite it gives me the same message again. . .and again and again. . .?

I would have thought that maybe it was VMWare. . .but it works fine with v3.3

Junior Member registered user
    I have no idea what could be causing it. Maybe someone has that same problem and a solution?

Did you tried every time from scratch? like re-downloading the knofig, etc?

When you boot up with the CD do you use any cheat codes?

--
    Take care.

I have tried without any cheat codes. I have added lang=en and have also tried dma.

I also did try downloading the most recent from the web with the provided update script.

I have deleted all the partitions several times as well.

Hdd install problems

Your problem sounds like you have a hidden mbr giving you trouble. Boot to a DOS floppy that has fdisk on it. type : fdisk /mbr. That should fix your master boot record. If you still have a Knoppix 3.3 do a disk partition with it instead of the 3.4. This morning, I tried to hdd Knoppix 3.4 using a seperate 50mb boot secto, which it created hidden! Things got screwed up, so I went back to try a regular hdd install using hda1 and hda2 (swap). I would not take. I ended up fdisk / mbr, and using knoppix 3.3 to setup the hd. What does 3.4 report as your total partiion size. When I was having trouble, my total partitions were a little less than my hard drive, telling me there was a hidden partition.
    Hope this works for you. It did for me.

Jesse

Thanks. I tried fdisk /mbr and then repartitioned on 3.3. Still same message.

I am using a 3.2GB drive. . .2900MB for primary, then the remaining 300MB for swap. Again, I have no trouble choosing to install 3.3 to hd, but 3.4 just doesn't like me.

hi,

the procedure now also includes a knofig file which does not perform the hard disk size checks... this means <quote from knofig> the program will NOT check if there is enough space to install knoppix on the selected partition(s). Use at your own risk! </quote from knofig>

hope that hepls, g.

i've been WAITING for this! heh (get it: waiting? waiting for godot? oh, nevermind.)

will try it out first thing tomorrow, see if it fixes my install problems.

What in the world? I tried the install again today booting off my 3.4 CD after a week trip (on which I carried my knoppix cd the whole time but didn't actually end up using it). . .when I ran knx2hd today I got an entirely different menu. . .and it seems to be installing on the same computer it wouldn't work on before. . .?

Only difference this time is that 3.3 was already installed on the HD this time and the CD had a week in my backpack in Taiwan.

Just got a couple errors about not being able to delete some folder because it is read only. . .didn't catch the entire message. Still completed successfully.

hi,

there are indeed two distinct graphical interfaces for the hard disk installation tool... this was also the case for knoppix 3.x where x is strictly less than 4

if one follows my procedure exactly and executes `sudo su -;sudo knx2hd` in a terminal window, one gets the text/ncurses based gui. but if one simply executes `sudo knx2hd`, one gets the X11-based gui.

I used to have problems with the password entry prompt using the X11-based installer for knoppix 3.x where x is strictly less than 4, but this problem never occurred using the text/ncurses gui.

g.

I'm trying to install the 3.4 version of Knoppix, and I have a bit of a problem. When I go to install, it says I don't have enough space. Is 100GB enough? Anyway, I tried using the config said for no checking the hds, and that didn't work. I then used the IGNORE_CHECK=1 command which then came up with the hd error (as said in the guide), but then went straight to this dialog and back to the root.

Fatal dialog error:

Error: Expected at least 7 tokens for --radiolist, have 4.
    Use --help to list options.

real 0m2.602s
    user 0m0.140s
    sys 0m0.170s
    Please can someone help? [/quote]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast