My suggestion to improve Knoppix, and by extension, Linux in general, is to implement a unified clipboard data model. qt, gtk and Xlib applications should be able to communicate through a common clipboard program. Not only ASCII text, but HTML, formatted text and images could be copy and pasted. A sort of enhanced "multimedia" clipboard, if you will.

I understand this will require not only the development of a "Klipper2" applet, but also recoding the relevant code in KOffice, OpenOffice.org and all other applications that wish to exchange data with the other apps compatible with the standard.

Nonetheless to say, that would be a lot of work. But it would be a worthwhile endeavor -- think of how MacOS and Windows have had a unified clipboard/data-exchange model for years. I think Linux deserves one as well.

Has anyone here ever used Word XP? It has an interesting multi-item clipboard with thumbnail previews of the items to be copied. This is a user interface worth emulating in Linux. Klipper is quite close, but it currently supports only text.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion!

Marco75

P.S.: Visit my website, then help me get Quake3 working in Knoppix 3.3, please, Linus-Wan you are my only hope...etc.