Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recovering NTFS partition (Newbie)

Junior Member registered user

Recovering NTFS partition (Newbie)

I want to recover some data from a corrupted NTFS partition which has Windows XP Pro (among other things) installed on it.

Knoppix/Konquerer "sees" only a FAT (plain FAT, not FAT32) partition on the disk which I imagine is the XP recovery consol. I do not need to preserve this partition or the files in it.

How do I make Knoppix "see" the NTFS partition?

I realize Knoppix won't write to an NTFS partition. I have another, working hard disk formatted FAT32 with enough space to take the data I need to recover.

Many thanks in advance for suggestions. I have no previous experience of Linux/Knoppix.

David

Senior Member registered user
    Well I have no idea about Konqueror but I would personally just do this:

fdisk -l /dev/hda

OR

fdisk -l /dev/hdb

or where ever your drive is. Then, you *should* be able to mount it.

mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2

If /mnt/hda2 doesn't exist simply mount it somewhere else. Anywhere will do.

Re: Recovering NTFS partition (Newbie)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidsa
    I want to recover some data from a corrupted NTFS partition which has Windows XP Pro (among other things) installed on it.

Knoppix/Konquerer "sees" only a FAT (plain FAT, not FAT32) partition on the disk which I imagine is the XP recovery consol. I do not need to preserve this partition or the files in it.

I realize Knoppix won't write to an NTFS partition. I have another, working hard disk formatted FAT32 with enough space to take the data I need to recover.

Many thanks in advance for suggestions. I have no previous experience of Linux/Knoppix.

David
    By any chance, are you using a program called GoBack?

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=21961#21961

Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    If /mnt/hda2 doesn't exist, call
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/hda2
    mounting it just somewhere will hide that folder, so mounting to /bin will perhaps do, but then you are caught, because 'umount' is hidden (and a lot of importants programs too).

I guess mzilikazi meant 'anywhere in /mnt/ (i.e.: /mnt/winpartition)' will do.
    Just to prevent unlikely errors...

David
    The following thread:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...887&highlight=
    chronicles my newbie journey through a very similar problem about a year ago, when my Windows would not boot due to a motherboard problem, and I had to back up an NTFS drive onto a second HD before returning the computer for warranty service. Knoppix 3.2 saved me. Back then, K3B did not support my DVD+R/RW drive, and I needed to save some video files which were too large to fit on a CD. If you have the patience to read through it, it might be of help. I will tell you that I've never heard this solution suggested anywhere else, and the copy process took a surprising amount of time to complete.

Good luck,

JD

Well I have no idea about Konqueror but I would personally just do this:

fdisk -l /dev/hda

OR

fdisk -l /dev/hdb

or where ever your drive is. Then, you *should* be able to mount it.

mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2

Thanks - but when I try this I get an error message something like "Unable to open /dev/hda "

What am I missing?

David

Quote Originally Posted by j.drake

David
    By any chance, are you using a program called GoBack?

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=21961#21961

No - Norton Antivirus is on there, but on this drive I have only ever used the other Norton tools from the HD.

David

Quote Originally Posted by user unknown
    If /mnt/hda2 doesn't exist, call
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/hda2
    mounting it just somewhere will hide that folder, so mounting to /bin will perhaps do, but then you are caught, because 'umount' is hidden (and a lot of importants programs too).

I guess mzilikazi meant 'anywhere in /mnt/ (i.e.: /mnt/winpartition)' will do.
    Just to prevent unlikely errors...
    Thanks but I haven't got that far yet!

David

Quote Originally Posted by j.drake

David
    The following thread:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...887&highlight=
    chronicles my newbie journey through a very similar problem about a year ago, when my Windows would not boot due to a motherboard problem, and I had to back up an NTFS drive onto a second HD before returning the computer for warranty service. Knoppix 3.2 saved me. Back then, K3B did not support my DVD+R/RW drive, and I needed to save some video files which were too large to fit on a CD. If you have the patience to read through it, it might be of help. I will tell you that I've never heard this solution suggested anywhere else, and the copy process took a surprising amount of time to complete.

Good luck,

JD
    Not exactly the same but your experience is indeed relevant and useful

Thanks

David

Thanks - but when I try this I get an error message something like "Unable to open /dev/hda "

What am I missing?

David
    Try it as root.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast