Thread: Initializing periferals halt...

Initializing periferals halt...

hey, i just got Knoppix 3.3 and i am having trouble. It boots fine, and says "initiating startup sequence" LOL, but when it gets to "Initializing periferals" and freezez help please!

Senior Member registered user
    Myth,

Not sure what Knoppix is doing during that step, but, as Fabianx stated in there post, which I believe is true, Knoppix is finalizing setting up what it found during the boot text screen... I would wonder if Knoppix has detected some hardware, which, when it is actually trying to acticate this hardware, it is getting stuck...

What, if any, are you using as boot cheatcodes ???

I take it you have not installed Knoppix to your hard drive, and you are booting off the CD, right ???

If you are not using any, or the following, boot codes, you might considering these:

noscsi, nopcmcia, no[etc...] - press F2 when you get the "boot:" prompt, and look at the Hardware Detection cheatcodes - determine which of these you do not have, and add the "no" part into your boot: command. I have to believe that "something" Knoppix has thought you have, is trying to get started, and is not, causing the lock up.

You might try all of the "no" boot cheatcodes, to see if it boots, then start removing them one at a time, until it locks up in the "Initialization" area. You might also examine your BIOS and make sure that it is set for NON-PNP OS -=- or something along the lines of your OS is "not a plug-n-play operating system".

Just some ideas, and some ways to troubleshoot the problem. I have also heard a few people report problems if they have a plug-n-play USB memory or drive device on the system. Sometimes the system will boot only when something is plugged into one of these devices during a boot, and others have reported having nothing in these devices during a boot. For me, I have a memory "flash" device, it boots when the memory "stick" is inserted, but not when I don't. I have also heard reports of using a USB camera, most of these reports found that NOT having it plugged in during booting, works, whereas, having it plugged in, doesn't.

Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

wicked man, thanks, i dont really know alot about Linux, just wanted to have a play with it... what are cheatcodes? yeah im booting from a cd..
    ill have a play with it...

Senior Member registered user
    Myth,

Cheatcodes = boot command switches.

Cheatcodes are used to "tweak", test, or troubleshoot, Knoppix and the Desktop Server (X) while it is booting. Hence, they can be called boot cheatcodes.

Boot cheatcodes are entered, oddly enough, at the boot: prompt.

When Knoppix just starts up, you will be sitting at a full screen image of "Knoppix" and a nice graphic display, at the very bottom of that screen, you will see the "boot:" prompt. This is where you can enter any boot cheatcodes. Just above the boot prompt, it will say something like: "press F2 to see a list of commands" or something like that...

Press F2 on your keyboard, and the full screen image/graphic will display a text screen showing all the "more widely used" cheatcodes. Around 1/3 to 2/3's of the screen you will see the "configuration" codes, like the "swap=", and the "hardware detection" codes.

Ms. Cuddles

ah ok, thanks

try this, i had the same problem:

Code:
    boot: linux26 noscsi /etc/init.d/hotplug restart
    ofcourse that is for the linux 2.6 kernal, replace linux26 with 'knoppix' or 'linux' for the old kernal.

Hope that helps.