Thread: Booting linux26

Booting linux26

Running ASUS P4P800-VM motherboard with Intel 865G/ICH5 chipset, Pentium IV with Hyperthreading. ACPI/APM, S-ATA support, Enhanced IDE enabled.

Windows XP works just fine with this hardware.

Knoppix with linux 2.4 boots up just fine except no sound. The i810_audio and soundcore drivers don't seem to want to load on boot, and even when I do it by hand, KDE doesn't recognize them.

Trying Linux 2.6 gives me a horribly slow boot, with a looooong wait at the Knoppix KDE desktop screen before I get a message box saying something to the effect that the process managing the file system ended unexpectedly. Then nothing works at all. No desktop icons, nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Member registered user
    What version of Knoppix are you using (along with the build date) there was a release that came out on the 10th that fixed alot of errors. Klaus was probably sick of the communities whining ( including me) and succumed to peer pressure to get the disk out... But he did release the first 2 releases of the disk with the experimental moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by zentu
    What version of Knoppix are you using (along with the build date) there was a release that came out on the 10th that fixed alot of errors. Klaus was probably sick of the communities whining ( including me) and succumed to peer pressure to get the disk out... But he did release the first 2 releases of the disk with the experimental moniker.
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I downloaded, and burned the 10 May 2004 ISO, v 3.4.

The boot for 2.4 works just as before; all ok, but no sound comes out... now, however, KDE seems to recognize the sound driver, and the drivers are actually in use, but still no sound out of the speakers (using XMMS to try to play the KDE startup wave file).

The boot for 2.6 is now much better. That is, it comes up all the way without as much waiting, and I now see the KDE initializing splash screen, but it still fails in the KDE startup as before with the message: "The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly". Then, I see no icons. No sound, either; just like 2.4.

But, Konsole and Konqueror work.