Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apt-get Question...

Hybrid View

Apt-get Question...

Hi, I am abusing this forum again, I know... But it did say anything goes!

I am trying to use fedora, I don't know how to go about installing apt-get, becuase apt-get isn't installed to get-apt-get with apt-get!!!

Is there an easy way to do this in fedora? Please be gentle, I only know windows terms and functions so if you say to me just install it and run it, I won't have the slightest clue on how to do it.

I also haven't ever really used much of the *nix command line. So you might need to spell it out to me. Thank-you anyone that might try to help me.

Senior Member registered user
    I don't know why you would want to mix an rpm-based system with an apt-based system. If you're using fedora, you should go to redhat and rpm something called yum, which is similar to apt-get used in debian based systems. Yum is primarily for rpm based systems, but it functions similar to apt-get from what documentation I've read so far. Why don't you give that a try?

AFAIK you don't use apt-get with Fedora, you use rpm (RedHat Package Manager) instead. This is not the place to discuss this tool in depth, but anyway, here are a few starting points. You need to download the *.rpm file(s) or have them on a CD and then:
    rpm -i package # install it
    rpm -ivv package # be *very* verbose
    rpm -U package # upgrade it
    rpm -F package # upgrade only if already installed
    rpm -Uvh --force yourRPMname.rpm --nodeps # install no matter what
    rpm -e package # uninstall it
    rpm -V package # check integrity of files installed by package
    rpm -qa | grep keyword # search all the rpms you have installed for a keyword
    rpm -qpi package # find out what's in an uninstalled package
    rpm -qpl package #list files in package
    rpm -qi package # same as above for installed packages
    rpm -ql package # find out what files just got installed by a rpm
    rpm -qf file # show package 'file' belongs to
    rpm --test package # don't install, test + report

HTH and doesn't offend pure debianists here

Thanks, I will.

BTW, I don't have any loyalties to Fedora, it is just one of the easier installs I have tried so far. (Free ones anyway) I wish Debian was easy to install, I DL all seven disks and I couldn't get past disk one!!! What a land fill problem, not to mention the wasted money!

Another note:
    I thought (or read somewhere) that Fedora was able to use apt-get now. Or a program that bolts on to Fedora and allows (most) apt-get packages to install. (Might be wrong, but thought so)

Again thanks, have a good day/night depending on your Big Blue Marble location.

A little Googling will go a long way.

(Looks interesting -- and a lot like apt!)

There is a beta DVD of the latest Debian, Sarge, on the cover of the June issue of Linux Magazine. The new installer is streets better than anything that went before, but there is still a problem with lack of a dynamic space counter during package selection. It only reverts to the familiar IT gibberish in the final stages of the install process (presumably this is where the 'work in progress' has gotten to). Even I was able to bypass this by selecting just the working desktop, pressing enter to all the irrelevant garbage then using the DVD to apt-get the rest of the combo I wanted once it was running. In truth, the full working Debian is a delight to behold, even if it takes a dozen attempts to get there! The sensible approach to further development would seem to be to set up a 'clean room' in which random volunteers, straight off-the-street, were invited to install it, use it, break it - perhaps with the offer of the proverbial free lunch?! There really is no mileage in having these things tested by the cognoscenti - seems obvious except to those closest to the action?
    OG.

Junior Member registered user

Forget Yum and Apt-get in Fedora

Go to http://www.open-carpet.org

Download their open-carpet rpm.

Follow link to Ximian and get RedCarpet (redcarpet, rug and rcd rpms) > follow install instructions on both sites.

RedCarpet accesses both Yum and Apt repositories (though not ftp:// ones).

Open-Carpet installs a slew of operating repositories.

Works for me better, than Synaptic too!

master_b

I just want to say think-you to this community. The members here are the best of any Linux forum going. I have learned more on this site than I have on all the others put together.

Some sites are full of rude Linux Gurus that are mean and nasty. They talk to you like you are stupid or get mad at you because you don't know what they know. "RTFM" is their way of helping everyone. Even if you don't know what that means, they will still tell you that! It's just like, because they know, they think it is common knowledge.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know, that I have learned from the best here, and you all should be proud of yourselves. You have given freely. Just like the GNU and the Linux stand behind.

Thank-you.

apt-get

Hunkah,
    Have you tried the hard Drive install of Knoppix?It's very nice, I have in running on 4 computers. Open a console and as root type "knoppix-installer" The GUI will lead you through an install now you have a configured Debian system complete with apt-get.

I am thinking about junking my fedora install and trying that. But Fedora is about to release the final Core 2 in two days. I think I will wait for that first. I don't like to install more than one OS on a HDD. Mostly because I am still trying to differentiate between a hdd partition and a linux partition. They both look the same to me. So I just work with one OS at a time to save the confusion.

To explain further abaout the partition confusion:
    In windows world there is a partition (C:\) it has a fat (or varient) or ntfs file system. I understand the diffrence between Primary and Logical partitions.

Then there is:
    / partiton (aka root too)
    /root partition
    /boot partition
    /flute partiton
    /poot partition
    /swap partition

Frig, I think this is the hardest thing to figure out in the Linux world. I love the explorer interface. I think it is the best thing that windows has going for it. It makes sense. It just does!

But for some reason there is something blocking me from learning it the same thing in the linux world. I will start, then I give up after only three minutes of trying to study it.

I start to read about it then I take a huge inhale of air, then I exhale and quit trying. I noticed it the last two times I tried.

BTW, thanks for the input... I will probably try this in a week or so. Once I have tried Fedora Core 2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast