Thread: LAN CONNECTION PROBLEMS

LAN CONNECTION PROBLEMS

Hello Everyone,
    I am a newbie to Linux. I purchased Knoppix version 3.3 Feb 9, 2004. This CD is awesome... I am having problems connecting to the Internet. I have a wireless router D-Link DI-514 and my Internet provider is R.R. Can anyone guide me on how to configure my system. Please step by step. Remember I am a newbie to Linux. THKS JMV

Email me with any suggestions you have JVILLAN@RGV.RR.COM

Administrator Site Admin-
    Your post was moved to the networking forum from the tips and tricks forum; this is a networking issue. Also, the post has been edited: The ALL CAPS post was changed; many people will not even read or respond to an all-caps post, learn to use the shift key. The vendor you bought the CD from was also removed, so as not to look like spam. The version and date are important, the source is not.

You asked that anyone with a response e-mail you. This defeats the purpose of a forum where the information is available to others who have the same problem. If you don't want to check back to the forum for replies, then just be sure there is a valid e-mail address in your profile and be sure the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box is checked. This will also help protect you from spam; when you post your e-mail address in plain sight as you did, spammers will likely harvest it (you may have already seen an increase in spam from just this one post).

Now, as to your problem. You gave some information, but not some key pieces. You say you're using a router, which is great. But you didn't say how you are trying to connect to it (and it's a wireless router). If you are trying to connect with a wireless card, which card is very important. Not all cards are well supported (mostly due to a lack of information coming from the wireless card and wireless chip makers). But you could well be trying to connect to the router with a normal NIC as well. Anyone helping you would need to know more details here.

You should really read through the other posts in this forum before posting and expecting others to just rewrite lots of information that has already been posted. I have started a couple of threads here on problems Knoppix has connecting when the computer has also been used by Windows. There are many other posts about wireless connection issues. Don't expect people to do a lot of work to get you an answer if you are not willing to do a little reading of already posted information yourself.

thanks sorry

I have tried these codes: hwsetup, w/cardconfig ,netcardconfig.but, i have had no luck connecting to the internet......

...........actually i am using a wireless adatper D-Link Air DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter. i have tried to connect through all the version in my cd mozzella,etc.i also tried autoconfig.but, i get an error message wireless card not detected.....

i have read several posts an notice everyones info that texas instruments does not want to release their chip codes.....

....would it be easier for me to connect through a hard wire( ethernet connection)...... help

Administrator Site Admin-
    I would certainly try to connect through a normal NIC. No promises that it will work, my notebook used to connect fine then stopped right after I installed some XP "security updates". But many NIC's connect just fine, it's certainly a reasonable first step. After that you could look into getting wireless working. I can't give much useful advice on that - my wireless card seems to be one of the unsupported ones.