Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: linux-on-laptops by manufactor/ modell

Senior Member registered user

linux-on-laptops by manufactor/ modell

There is a big collection of links on the net, not specific to knoppix, but might be very helpful to find out about how to get hardware working etc.

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/

It's ordered by manufactor and model and might help in many cases, perhaps it would be a good idea to make this link sticky (with exlamation mark and 'wichtig' on my system)?

- Ah! I see, I may mark it myself as 'important'. Hope this is welcomed.
    ---
    don't visit my homepage:http://home.arcor.de/hirnstrom/

The info in the site stated above is very helpful yet there was no mention if the on-board modems on the laptops work. I know that use of dialup modems are a bit passe in highly developed areas like America or Europe but in Asia dialup is still the norm.

So where to get an info about laptops whose on board modems work in linux?

Here is a page about modems with linux:

http://www.linmodems.org

not about laptops in special, but the key is the modem-chipset.
    It might be (and often is) used in different laptops, and even desktops.

Quote Originally Posted by user unknown
    Here is a page about modems with linux:

http://www.linmodems.org

not about laptops in special, but the key is the modem-chipset.
    It might be (and often is) used in different laptops, and even desktops.
    I know that site having been able to compile modem drivers in the past but it is different thing when it comes to laptops as they don't usually state what kind of chipset .Say I check the laptop site and decide on lets say a Dell as stated there-only to find out later that I cannot get into the internet because the modem is not working-specially if the linux kernel is the latest 2.6!
    At this point I will then have to buy windows and regret about linux!

Whether the onboard-modem is mentioned or not differs from page to page.
    Additionally you may contact the vendor.
    And get an external modem.

I forgot to thank you for replying to my "rants".
    I am in a region/area where linux is almost unheard of and to contact the local agent would be almost a futile attempt.
    Can you suggest a pcmcia modem that will not need a linux driver?
    Thanks again!

No - I never used my pcmcia device.

Even if your vendor hasn't heard from linux, it's good practice, to let them know, that there is request for linux. Perhaps he knows the next time, and perhaps he uses linux by luck privately, and knows more than you expect.

HP Pavilion ze 5730us

I did not see this model listed, but I decided to try it anyway.

Knoppix worked fine!

I also tried DSL and that worked fine but would not "release" my computer on shutdown. I had no problem in that regard with Knoppix though.

This was my first sucessful use of Linux.

I will be around here to read more how to's!

Thanks,

Phil

Member registered user
    When I first checked this forum I recall that someone wanted info on Knoppix with new laptops. well here is my recent experience.
    I started the process of evaluating laptops for replaement of four next year. I did NOT evaluae HP as I already know that they tend to configure their hardware so that it works with Knoppix/Linux only with some serious reconfiguration and workarounds unless they set the machine up for their proprietary Linux.
    I went to Best Buy who is the largest supplier in the area. First, I looked at what was available. I limited the systems to the following base requirements. AMD cpu with 32 or 64 bit processor, 256-512 ram prefferably DDR or SDram, and 1024x768, at least resolution. I didn't get to check modems before .. well read on.

Toshiba 10721 - 360J series with Intel Celeron will not load, Knoppix hangs before hardware detection.

Gateway7510GX 64bit SCSI
    Had to noscsi, noacpi. Bios overrides noacpi and will not load apm. Loading is very slow but it does function. The right click function won't work on the touchpad but does work with external mouse. many small glitches.

Compaq 64bit AMD
    Clean load. Pointer and tap sensitivity needs to be decreased significantly and the keyboard accelerator needs to be at or near minimum. The capslock is reversed and will not clear. TO do standard you need to hit the shift key. wold not let Open Office load and while it loadd frozen bubble it would not run it.

At this point I was preparing to do some program testing when the department manager came up to me and even knowing I was looking at replacing potentially 4 laptops he told me that I couldn't use the knoppix disk. His rational was that if we let one person do it we have to let everyone do it. He wasn't flexible nor did the concept of watching to insure the disk the potential purchaser uses isn't toxic or loads running programs.
    He got a little pissy then and when I told him that if I wanted to mess up his laptops, I didn't need the Knoppix disk to do it. I was asked to leave the store. I let the store manager know about the potential sale he lost the store and she was pretty red faced when I walked out.

By My Hand ~ I Remain,
    Captain Cautious

You are indeed lucky that you were able to start your test, my experience is that the salesperson outright refused to use the knoppix cd to be loaded. I don't argue,I think he has the right to refuse. Most especially with Toshiba laptops that don't support linux.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast