i got usb workin
    this is what my /var/log/messages looks like:
    box modem_run[1658]: ADSL synchronization has been obtained
    box modem_run[1658]: ADSL line is up (576 kbit/s down
    | 288 kbit/s up)
    box pppd[1675]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
    box pppd[1675]: Using interface ppp1
    box pppd[1675]: Connect: ppp1 <--> /dev/pts/58
    box pppd[1675]: Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has world and/or group access
    box pppd[1509]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
    box pppd[1509]: Connection terminated.
    box pppd[1509]: Using interface ppp0
    box pppd[1509]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/59
    box pppd[1509]: Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has world and/or group access

Try this

Hi,
    i have an Speedtouch 330 USB and tried everything in this forums but coulnd't connect, then i found this
    http://s1x.homelinux.net/downloads/s...uch-installer/
    work's great i just had to do a reboot after running the script, but now it's running great.

I hope this helps.

Mauro[/url]

Ok, I've tried all of this how-to and tutorial but I cannot really make my alcate speed touch USB work with a knoppix livecd.

look at the screenshot:

How to avoid the Read-only file system error ????

Tnx 2 all

Satrapo

How to avoid the Read-only file system error ????
    Satrapo, I'm very much a newbie to this so I could be very wrong. I am trying to get my Alcatel SpeedTouch USB ADSL modem to work with the Knoppix Live CD and am having problems similar to yours. One of the problems in my case is that the CD, and I think linux itself, cannot write to an NTFS partition very well. So in other words, creating a home directory, reading/writing from your HD, saving knoppix config settings, etc. won't work. I'm researching alternatives. Perhaps loading stuff from the floppy drive will work. Who knows? Good luck. If I find something that works, I'll post it.

I'm new to Linux (Knoppix Live CD) like some of you and was having great difficulty in getting my speedtouch to work.

I followed the instructions on http://david.abdelli.free.fr/speedtouch/en/index.html as indicated earlier in the thread without success. Having looked a little closer at my modem settings in (excuse my langauge) windows - I noticed the vpi and vci numbers were different than those in the speedtouch.sh so I edited them to what my wi*d*ws modem was showing - (0 & 38 respectively), resaved the file and - Bobs yer Frog - its up an running.... :P

I'm in the UK on pipex ADSL, I think these vpi & vci settings are for UK not just pipex but not sure.

If anyone wants it I can post up the modded speedtouch.sh on my website.

PS if you do edit it use KEDIT and don't do it through wordpad in windows like I did first time It dont work......

Wow. I think I could actually do this. Can you put the files those instructions refer to onto a floppy and load them from there? I have Win2K and I'm running into that problem where you can't make a Knoppix Home directory on the hard drive because Knoppix (for now) cannot write to NTFS partitions. So I think I'll have to figure out something else.

Thanks for the info!

I've also had a hard time making this USB modem to work, but after a frustrating week I finally found a script that did the job!

1) Make sure you are root. Do 'modprobe -r speedtch', I don't know if this is necessary, but I did this first

2) download the mgmt.o file here:
    http://home.planet.nl/~andje000/mgmt.o

3) download the script here:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=68502

4) unpack the script with tar

5) put mgmt.o inside the directory that is created by the previous step

6) cd to that directory and execute the script

7) answer a few questions that the script is asking you, don't be affraid these are very easy questions like your username and password...

If everything goes well, you should be online now, but sometimes the script is complaining about the wrong pppd version. The script is comparing the version of your pppd with the version numbers inside the script, so to make it work, you just have to change the version numbers inside the script.

I don't know if this will work when you boot Knoppix from CD, because a few files will be written to /etc.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by novasoy
    Wow. I think I could actually do this. Can you put the files those instructions refer to onto a floppy and load them from there? I have Win2K and I'm running into that problem where you can't make a Knoppix Home directory on the hard drive because Knoppix (for now) cannot write to NTFS partitions. So I think I'll have to figure out something else.

Thanks for the info!
    You could whilst in W2K; create a Knoppix directory and save the three files into it:
    mgmt.o
    speedtouch-1.2-beta3.tar.gz
    speedtouch.sh

Boot into Knoppix - mine normaly starts the web browser, can't remember what its called sorry.
    Click the home button on the brower and it takes you to something like knoppix/home.
    Click on hard drive icon that contains the knoppix directory and navigate down untill you see the 3 files it contains
    Copy them to your Knoppix home directory in the browser window
    Once copied give a right click and selct open terminal here
    Type the following
    su
    sh speedtouch.sh

The script will then start, it will ask 2 questions in French, the first is your ISP login name and the second is your ISP password. Then away it goes and in under a minute you are connected.

As I said before you need to edit the VPI & VCI numbers to suit as I did.

Let me know how you go on..

B.A.

thanks! I got farther this time.

I got much farther this time. I hacked around, tweaking the shell script, and got it to a point when it actually had to write something to the hard drive. Unfortunately, since I have NTFS, that's where I am presently stuck. If I can find the time, I will see what I can do about that, but more likely, I will wait for the new version of Knoppix to come out. I've heard it has NTFS-write support. If the Alcatel USB drivers aren't updated in that release, then I will retry this fix.

Quote Originally Posted by sheel
    i got usb workin
    this is what my /var/log/messages looks like:
    box modem_run[1658]: ADSL synchronization has been obtained
    box modem_run[1658]: ADSL line is up (576 kbit/s down
    | 288 kbit/s up)
    box pppd[1675]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
    box pppd[1675]: Using interface ppp1
    box pppd[1675]: Connect: ppp1 <--> /dev/pts/58
    box pppd[1675]: Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has world and/or group access
    box pppd[1509]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
    box pppd[1509]: Connection terminated.
    box pppd[1509]: Using interface ppp0
    box pppd[1509]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/59
    box pppd[1509]: Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has world and/or group access
    hey could someone please help me, ive followed the scripts and have not managed to get my alcatel usb modem to work :'(
    im from the uk and use bt could someone please help
    it would be much appreciated

Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast