I've just started using Knoppix and I'm dead pleased with it. I currently tun direct from the cd.

i had problems with getting my Alcatel speedtouch modem running but i think i've worked it out now with the help of the how to's and all the posts in here. I do how ever have a few questions.

1. I have 3 hard drives and i use one which is 12gig as my persistant home, how can i log in as root and still use the settings saved in my config file.

2. I was mooching around checking things out and found a screen that would let me change user setting, ID picture and read write permmisions (i cant remeber the exact program) but it required a root password. How do i enter the root password when i have never set one? I have tried root, Knoppix, admin but no joy

3. to connect to the net i need to edit the /etc/ppp/chap_secrets file but ever time i save the file it says i do not have permmision. Is this because i'm not logged in as root?

i hope you guys can help me with these questions as i think i would find it alot easier to be on the net and check things out instead of booting in and out of knoppix just to get to here.

thanks very much Liquidant