Thread: Knoppix 3.4 Loading Problem[Burn ISO without extra software]

Knoppix 3.4 Loading Problem[Burn ISO without extra software]

Hi.
    I recently downloaded the Knoppix V3.4 ISO image from the hosting server, and, due to restrictions in place by the admin. on Windows XP, I cannot directly write to CD's from the image. What I have to do is use a program like WinImage to extract the files to a directory (I chose the CD writing directory, so that all the files would be written, including hidden files), and then press the "Write these files to CD" button from explorer. This worked for the V3.3 CD, and appeared to work for the v3.4 cd, but it still does not boot directly from the CD, and the V3.3 boot disk works up to a point, and, instead of being presented with any menus to, for example, create a swap file, or anything. I just get presented with the equivilent of the command prompt in MS-DOS.

Also, both versions make the CD drive make a wierd, almost whistling noise when I put the CD in the drive under windows, and when Knoppix tries to detect the CD. It still loads, but takes a while, and does not sound too healthy.

Anyone have any ideas on either issue?

Thanks,

Paul

Senior Member registered user
    Well, not quite sure on this, but... If anything, you are quite resourceful...

My guess is, if I was going to guess, is....

If you just copy files from a boot-disk, in Windows, the disk won't boot, it requires specific files to be in specific places, for, lets say, a floppy to boot. Not saying that this is exactly the same in a CD-ROM, but that your method of "copying" the file structure, after, extracting the files to a Windows disk, has changed things about those files. The files in the "knoppix" ISO are not Windows files, they are unix/linux/knoppix/debian files, with different permissions, and formats... and thus, when they were "extracted" by a windows program, they were, in essence, translated to windows files, possibly even truncated due to special characters that only Linux would now what they are. When you "copied" these files, and the structure, from the windows drive, to the CD-ROM, again, they were "maintained" as windows files, which they are not.

The ISO file must be used, intact, and written to the CD-ROM - this keeps the "image" correct, and the files, permissions, sizes, and structure, in Linux, not Windows. This would be the same if you wanted to "copy" a audio, or data CD, you can "copy" the files, but it won't be the same as a "image" would be. My suggestion would be to talk to the Admin of your WinXP to get the rights/permissions to write to a CD, or use another computer that you do.

Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

its probably because the boot sector isn't being written.

CD writing

Part of the problem is that the computers with the fast internet connection are at my sixth form college. As I will finish here at the end of the week, it is unlikely that the access privileges will be changed. Also, my computer at home does not have a CD writer drive, and has a 56k modem that would probably disconnect before downloading it (hardware problem I think) and a 28.8k modem. Both of these would take absolutely ages to download a CD image, and paying per minute, this would enable me to fund the BT pension fund myself...!

At the 6th form college I can average a download speed of 1.2mbps... No competition.

Do you know of a program that can write CD images to CD's without administrative privileges? I know of programs to write floppy images, but not CD images.

Thanks for all your help,

Paul.

K-User,

I am in exactly the same boat, as far as the connection is concerned, old phone lines, and a 56k connection -=- here is what I would do...

I would try to talk to the Administrator... They probably wouldn't mind doing a burn for you, if you ask, and suppy the CDR. Heck, if you tell them about Knoppix, they may even be interested in getting one of these for themselves as well. Maybe, the solution to this issue, is to not try and go around them, but to go through them...

Just my thoughts,
    Ms. Cuddles

I totaly agree.

Like Cuddles said they might want to use it. I know I would.

or ask someone to burn a cd for you and send by snailmail... for fee of say two unburnt cds (recognize it cuddles?)