Thread: Window Manager does not start

Window Manager does not start

OK, running vmware 4.5.1 on Windows XP and want to run knoppix 3.4.

Everything starts, X starts and then just sits there! I've tried forcing a windows manager to start with knoppix desktop=kde but that still does not work. I can boot to runlevel 2 (text mode) that works fine

Any ideas?

Senior Member registered user
    More specifics...

Where is it just sitting there?

In the "penguin" text screen during boot, or do you get into a "graphics" screen, with "Knoppix" or "Debian" on it? If you are sitting at the text screen, and the last thing it says, from all the hardware detection, etc... is something like "Starting X Server", or something like that, that would be the text screen. If, on the other hand, you get away from that "text screen" and see something closely related to a Windows "background" screen, that would be the "graphics" screen.

I am thinking you are getting stuck on the "text" to "graphics" switch, which may mean, one of three things, of which, any, or all, of these may be contributing to X Server not starting (or the KDE desktop manager)

(1) Monitor not able to handle what video card is trying to use (refresh, or resolution)
    (2) Video card not able to handle what Knoppix thinks it can handle (same as above)
    (3) Knoppix has detected some hardware, and is trying to start, or set it up, and it isn't working.

Numbers (1) and (2) may mean using one, or a combination of, cheatcodes on the boot: prompt to get X or Knoppix to set the right Vertical Refresh, Horizontal Refresh, or Resolution, of your monitor/video combination. If the case is number (3), then it may mean, also, using some of the cheatcodes on the boot: prompt to remove specific hardware detection on the booting, until you can resolve which device is causing the problem....

Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

It's actually just sitting after the startup of X, i.e. the checkered background like if you just start it without a window manager. I've tried resetting (i.e. ctl+alt+backspace) but that resets, but does exactly the same thing.