Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An offer (someone) can't refuse...

Senior Member registered user

An offer (someone) can't refuse...

Ok, I am seriously bummed on not being able to "see", let alone "download", the new version of Knoppix v3.4 - problems: a 56k dial-up connection, and a "small" town that probably has wiring that was used in Alexander Bell's time.

Can someone, who has a "working" v3.4 - hopefully, from what I hear, the one that isn't buggy, send me a working burnt CD of it, and I will trade you 3 CDR's for the deal??? ( I'll even return your CD Jewel case to you )

This contract will ultimately turn into a hard drive install on my system, since I am currently running v3.3 hard drive installed, I will want to copy off any configs, and docs, on this system install, gut, and install v3.4, and get it working with old configs - hopefully.

Current System Setup:
    AMD 1700 XP
    (external) seriel port modem/fax
    80 gb (secondary - backup) hard drive
    41 gb (primary) hard drive w/ Knoppix v3.3 and swap
    512 mb RAM
    On-motherboard video (not used) and a AGP NVidia GeForce4 (used) video setup
    No network card, standard wheel PS/2 mouse, and MS natural keyboard.
    Monitor is a ViewSonic ViewPanel VA700
    On-motherboard sound card, with out going to monitor and external amplifier, in from external amplifier, no microphone usage.
    ALSA (kind of) working, using cheatcode "alsa" and then hard drive installing.

I am feeling like I can't help anyone because I am not running the current version here, and want to be able to help, but fear that the version differances are getting in the way...

Thanks to anyone, and everyone, for any assistance,
    Ms. Cuddles

Hi Cuddles, how about this?

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sort=3&rows=50

Regards,
    AJG

Ok, Ok, you want me to admit it... I will...

I'm cheap, I'd rather swap CDR's than pay, and I'd rather trade (any) amount of blank CDR's that I have a supply for, than to try and download a 700MB (plus) file, and considering the phone line, take days doing it, and probably not get it to complete. I am also looking to find someone who has already found the "latest" version, than to do the "research" myself. So, I guess I'm LAZY and CHEAP. Liquid cash is something I don't have, but, I have invested "previous" money into my supplies, and thus, was looking for someone who felt this was a good offer. I also would rather "trust" someone from the Knoppix Forums than a complete stranger on EBay - besides, I just don't do EBay, I can sell, but I just don't "feel" right buying on it - its a "personal" thing... (either that, or its a "post-menaposal thing, or hormone imbalance, who knows)

But, thanks for the option AJG
    Ms. Cuddles

hmmm.. wisconsin must be very very poor ...
    even't got a neigbour with dsl or cable ....
    We in Europe can't walk 20m without encountering a Wifi hotspot ...

Quote Originally Posted by ktheking
    hmmm.. wisconsin must be very very poor ...
    even't got a neigbour with dsl or cable ....
    We in Europe can't walk 20m without encountering a Wifi hotspot ...
    Poor, not exactly, but we do have a very low employment rate, considering the only place is a plastics company, and they know they are the only place to work...

Dsl or cable is a good plan, but I already "tapped" that person to get my copy of v3.3, and 3.2 already - I just don't feel right "bugging" them again for something "I" need, and they don't care about...

Sorry, but this is a "small" town, you can count the town on an amputated hand, kind of thing - and the "Phone Company" has a monopoly on everything here... Dial, dsl, cable, internet, wireless, you name it, they have a part in it, so, you want anything, you pay "through the nose" for it... We can't even get a "compitition" of ISP's here, cause the Phone Company won't give them "local access" phone numbers...

As for another reason why I am cheap, or this place is poor - the plastics company keeps throwing me on a "lay off" situation, so, continual income is non-existant - we got a sewer problem, $3000, we don't have, etc... Its kind of hard to pay even $2 for a OS, that every bill needs to be paid, so, thats why I haven't "jumped" to v3.4 before this time...

As a side joke, but it is true, this town is so small, the minimum requirement for any job here, and most important, is, a high school education - and me, a transplant here, have almost a Masters Degree. These people are so backwards, they would think a abacus is a computer, most of them.... (most use a WebTV)

Ms. Cuddles

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    considering the only place is a plastics company, and they know they are the only place to work... this is a "small" town, you can count the town on an amputated hand, kind of thing
    I can't resist this puzzle - Baraboo?

JD

im biting cuddles, what version do you want?
    perhaps several on a DVD?
    i have a 10Mb connection so it won't take me long, the cost might be high (~15$US for the one disk iirc) though, and it may take some time for the package to arrive...
    why? eeeh, I live in Sweden... 64N 21E approx and mail from abroad to US is messy/slow these days (have to sign a woucher alowing US customs to open package...)

j.drake
    Ok, so there is a place smaller than Phillips, WI -=- But I am sure you can find that place on a map though.

OErjan
    Though, tempting as it sounds, a DVD with a "whole lotta" Knoppix on it, I would think the Government here would start thinking I am selling "SECRETS" behind there back... (like any government secrets would be coming out of Phillips, WI. ? But, ya never know) I guess I will have to pass on your offer, and hope someone just a little bit closer can assist...

Ms. Cuddles

Re: An offer (someone) can't refuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Can someone, who has a "working" v3.4 - hopefully, from what I hear, the one that isn't buggy,
    Which one is that? I have
    KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-04-EN & KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-10-EN

Oh and BTW I'd prefer to take this offline.

I'd be happy to burn you off a copy or two of the latest version, as well. Might as well put this expensive cable connection to good use!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast