Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: how about adding blender to the software list?

  1. #1

    how about adding blender to the software list?

    I am graphic artists, using linux.. and since that seems to be very rare thing, and most of the places I go have only windows installed. so now with knoppix, I just put it on the drive and boot and there it is.. I love it already.
    but every time I boot, I have to download this one little program called blender. it's 3d modelling and rendering package. it's not big to download, but not everytime the web is available.. so it would be cool to have it on the cd straight.

    how about, adding that to the softwares on the cd?
    it's very small (~ 2mb), and easy to install.. check it out "http://www.blender3d.org"

    .b

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    Re: how about adding blender to the software list?

    clusterKnoppix has Blender. And if you boot other PCs with this remaster too (via other CD or PXE) you can use their computing power too.

  3. #3
    what does it mean "clusterknoppix" ??
    I dont really need anything special administrator-kind-of-linux system.. I'm looking forward more to have quick desktoplinux for multimedia, graphics and sound etc..

    I have read some info on making your own customizing with knoppix. doesnt look too bad... perhaps I give it a try.

    .b

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    I don't think blender is free as in freedom to distribute. I think it used to be on Knoppix 3.1 or am I getting my 3d modelers mixed up?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Actually Blender is licensed under the GPL.

    http://www.blender.org/bf/deal.html

    If you download it from blender.org, it includes a copy of the GPL license.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Actually Blender is licensed under the GPL.

    http://www.blender.org/bf/deal.html

    If you download it from blender.org, it includes a copy of the GPL license.
    Hmm. Ahh thats right, it was povray I was thinking of.

    I don't know of anything as good as Lightwave on linux.. What's the closest? I'm thinking povray, becuase blender isn't a ray tracer.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by basse
    what does it mean "clusterknoppix" ??
    I dont really need anything special administrator-kind-of-linux system.. I'm looking forward more to have quick desktoplinux for multimedia, graphics and sound etc..
    clusterKnoppix is just Knoppix, but with an openMosix kernel. That kernel enables it to exchange processes with other machines running the same version of the kernel. It will do this when needed, aka, when of the PCs is working a lot harder than the other it will shift a process of to the other PC. This is called loadbalancing.

    But if it doesn't find any other machines, nothing is lost. You will just see a quick 'searching'-alike message on the screen. If you later on decide to turn another PC into a Linux machine you could consider setting up another clusterKnoppix machine and they will work together.

    Just wanted to point you at a Knoppix CD with blender, that's all.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Henk Poley
    Quote Originally Posted by basse
    what does it mean "clusterknoppix" ??
    I dont really need anything special administrator-kind-of-linux system.. I'm looking forward more to have quick desktoplinux for multimedia, graphics and sound etc..
    clusterKnoppix is just Knoppix, but with an openMosix kernel. That kernel enables it to exchange processes with other machines running the same version of the kernel. It will do this when needed, aka, when of the PCs is working a lot harder than the other it will shift a process of to the other PC. This is called loadbalancing.

    But if it doesn't find any other machines, nothing is lost. You will just see a quick 'searching'-alike message on the screen. If you later on decide to turn another PC into a Linux machine you could consider setting up another clusterKnoppix machine and they will work together.

    Just wanted to point you at a Knoppix CD with blender, that's all.
    This is really interesting info...
    is there any more "multimedia, graphics and sound" applications thatcan use distributive rendering or openMosix ?
    Or have you found better "multimedia, graphics and sound" Knoppix distro? Italian's were saying thay are making one by thay never did it!

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Torino, Italy.
    Posts
    31

    Medialinux

    MediLINUX is online: read the announcement here :
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3026

    after a ISO that got corrupted now is online a working version and I am working on a next one based on the last Knoppix.

    Ciao, m.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Blender can now be installed with just a klik - http://klik.berlios.de/

Similar Threads

  1. Adding Software
    By rubic_cube in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 10:27 AM
  2. Adding a bash script to you starting up list
    By ska_p_te in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 09:03 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-21-2004, 08:26 PM
  4. adding my own software in cd
    By kushaljerath in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-05-2003, 06:16 PM
  5. Adding Software
    By Friendly Guy in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2003, 07:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •