Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: CeBIT-news: Klaus presentated Knoppix 3.2

Senior Member registered user
    I have downloaded Knoppix 3.2 from http://source.rfc822.org/pub/mirror/...-cebit-rip.iso. I guess I have been having this problem with the releases after the November release. The problem is that after initial boot and hardware detection the X server never starts and the screen goes blank no error messages nothing. Reboot is needed to get out of this. I have a ATI Rage 128 32Mb video card. I'nm wondering if anyone has had this problem. Is there any cheat code that I can enter to solve this? Any help appreciated.
    Thank you,
    mag
    I had the same problem. Re-read the earlier posts on this thread as the answer has already been posted by me and others.

Quote Originally Posted by oscar
    Quote Originally Posted by audioaficionado
    hi, this is the md5 for the iso I have just downloaded

5ab8f8e1900cf20f4e667f7c17f4e976 *drivers/knoppix-3.2-cebit-rip.iso

anybody may confirm it?

thanks
    Just run an md5 checksum utility on your ISO and compare it to the one posted at the mirror. They have to match exactly or some file corruption may have occured.

Would you please tell me what cheatcodes you exactly entered to make it work? I appreciate your help.

Thank you,
    mag

I have downloaded Knoppix 3.2 from http://source.rfc822.org/pub/mirror/...-cebit-rip.iso. I guess I have been having this problem with the releases after the November release. The problem is that after initial boot and hardware detection the X server never starts and the screen goes blank no error messages nothing. Reboot is needed to get out of this. I have a ATI Rage 128 32Mb video card. I'nm wondering if anyone has had this problem. Is there any cheat code that I can enter to solve this? Any help appreciated.
    Thank you,
    mag
    I had the same problem. Re-read the earlier posts on this thread as the answer has already been posted by me and others.

Quote Originally Posted by thewalkingman
    wouldnt boot for me
    It's buggy for me too. After the third boot try I got in.

1) First you've got to hit F2 right after the boot screen starts.

2) If you're an english speaker you have to type 'knoppix lan=us'.
    (your 'shift+0) is the German placement of '=' on a us key board I found.

3) If you only get funny looking wavey lines then the default Xserver isn't working for your system. Try 'xserver=XFree86|XF86_SVGA' without the quotes one space after the 'knoppix lan=us'

'knoppix lan=us xserver=XFree86|XF86_SVGA' like this without the quotes of course.

It worked for me. This is a great looking distro once you get in.

Have fun
    Also...

It's got English support but the default is German of course because Klaus is German. I'm in English mode now and it works great.

When you first boot it up hit F2 to get to the cheat codes. Then just type in 'knoppix lang=us' You'll have to use 'shift+0' to get an '=' due to that's where the Germans have it on their keyboards.

If you have a wheel mouse then type 'wheelmouse' after the first cheat code you entered. You only have to type knoppix once in front of all the other arguments/commands and then separate them with one space. If you have a problem with the default Xserver like I did, you just select another one from the cheat codes menu. I went with XFree86 and all went well.

Once you've gotten into knoppix and tweaked it for awhile, go to the K-menu/Knoppix/Configure/Save Knoppix configuration and click the buttons and save your configurations to a spare area of your HD.

Next boot hit F2 and just type in 'knoppix myconfig=scan' and it all will come back. This is very close to a HD install exept it's not installed to the HD. The only thing that goes on your HD is a ~10Mb config file and whatever size swap file you've configured through the same menu tree you use to setup the Persistant Home configuration files.

Note: You can just enter that master config cheat right from the first boot screen and not even bother with the F2 screen if you've memorized the codes.

Quote Originally Posted by oscar
    hi, this is the md5 for the iso I have just downloaded

5ab8f8e1900cf20f4e667f7c17f4e976 *drivers/knoppix-3.2-cebit-rip.iso

anybody may confirm it?

thanks
    Just run an md5 checksum utility on your ISO and compare it to the one posted at the mirror. They have to match exactly or some file corruption may have occured.

...thanks, the above md5 cheksum is the one calculated on my iso and is equal to the one posted at the mirror, the obvious first place to look into

I ran the hd install and now LILO is screwed up, how can i edit the file from the cd based distro once booted up? I run it but it wont let me save I guess i need to enable write ability for that hda7? If so how do I go about doing that? I would really love to get into this distro , instead of using the boot cd

Quote Originally Posted by LinuxIdiot
    I ran the hd install and now LILO is screwed up, how can i edit the file from the cd based distro once booted up? I run it but it wont let me save I guess i need to enable write ability for that hda7? If so how do I go about doing that? I would really love to get into this distro , instead of using the boot cd
    Right click on your HD where Knoppix was installed, mount and then set it for read/write.

Open up a console and su to be root. ./vim or other text editor within the console.

(cd /mnt/hd**/etc/lilo.conf) Open up the HD lilo conf file in the text editor, save a backup and then have at it. Save when you're done and give it a whirl.

Member registered user
    Is there a linux version of WinISO?
    Thanks in advance for the help,
    paul

(cd /mnt/hd**/etc/lilo.conf) Open up the HD lilo conf file in the text editor, save a backup and then have at it. Save when you're done and give it a whirl.
    After you edit and save lilo.conf run /sbin/lilo to commit the changes then re-boot.

Quick question, how would i edit the iso to include my default settings? Such as 1024x768 wheelmouse stuff like that?

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast