Quote Originally Posted by duah55
I cannot DELETE these 2 files under knoppix,thats the only way I can see to reset passwords, to blank

there must be a way,knoppix is promoted as a emergency repair solution?
Hmmmm... (I guess it is?), but it is also an OS first.

As Eco2Geek said, this is really not a Knoppix issue though, because knoppix can boot your system, and as you said, it can gain access to your hardware, it just doesn't seem to allow you to delete specific files for another operating system - which, I might add, are not knoppix's responsibility to maintain.

Just cause you want to use Knoppix as a tool to do something in another OS, doesn't make that OS responsible if it doesn't, or can't...

What I would suggest, take it to M$ Windoes for resolution, hence my previous response, was to get the "jest" that editing it, or modifying the password files are hard to decypher, and if you can't get knoppix to assist in removal of the files, that I would go to Windows Support for resolve.

I Know of many "windows" specific forums (newsgroups) that you could post your issue to, and get a OS specific resolve to this. I don't work for, nor do I work with, M$ OS's, but I do run a Knoppix/GNU Linux OS, thus my answers tend to follow the OS I am running, I would think that a Forum, specific to M$ OS's, would also do the same.

As Bast, Nmcphillips, Eco2Geek, and anyone else, has stated, this kind of action could be possibly illegal, etc... and may simply "trash" your Windows installation - so, see if Windows has any information of this issue, they may have dealt with it a lot more than people who run Knoppix, or any other Linux variant, and lastly, you may have to re-install.

Just my thoughts,
Ms. Cuddles