Thread: new knoppix user, please help

new knoppix user, please help

Hi all

I am incredibly new to linux and would apprecaite a little help please.

Having been interested in moving away from MS products for some time (and gradually doing so with open office, thunderbird, firefox) I have decided to go the whole hog and go for linux OS. So I bought a mag which has 3 live linux cds on, one of which is knoppix.

Have loaded up the CD fine and was very suprised. For some reason I expected linux to be command prompt based but it's suprisingly windowsy.

Anyway, back to the point. I haven't a clue how to use it! anyone know a good "how to" site they can reccommend please?

Also, whilst my mouse works in that I can wiggle it around and the pointer moves, knoppix doesn't respond to any clicks. could this be a driver issue? if so how do I rectify this as I assume I will need to install the drivers each time I load the CD. Or can I save settings in a folder on my HD and use it when I load knoppix?

I don't want to install knoppix to my HD just yet as I am told that one man's linux is another man's poison and want to get a feel for linux, try out a few distros ad then install the one with which I am most comfortable.
    TIA

Tas

You should try another kind of mouse and if you dont know there are good tuts at knoppix.net/docs

Thanks for the response

Sorry for the delay in mine.

Am now using a USB mouse which is working fine, but now am having problems with my modem. I have downloaded linux drivers for it but have no idea how to install them. They are zipped so I have tried to extract them but just get a load of icons on the desktop and don't know what to do next.

Any ideas, please?

Modem is a sagem 800 f@st.

TIA

Tas

Junior Member registered user

Re: new knoppix user, please help

Quote Originally Posted by Tasslehoff Burrfoot
    Anyway, back to the point. I haven't a clue how to use it! anyone know a good "how to" site they can reccommend please?
    Tas
    See:
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/

Junior Member registered user

Re: Thanks for the response

Quote Originally Posted by Tasslehoff Burrfoot
    but now am having problems with my modem. I have downloaded linux drivers for it but have no idea how to install them. They are zipped so I have tried to extract them but just get a load of icons on the desktop and don't know what to do next.

Any ideas, please?

Modem is a sagem 800 f@st.
    In addition to seconding the recommendations for reading up on some linux newbie documentation, I'll ask a probing question or two.

In the files you extracted (sounds like you extracted them well, enough, although I like to download them into a new directory or put the downloaded file into one before extraction to avoid the clutter problem), do you see files with names like README or text-looking files with "install" or some such in the title? Many such downloads will contain at least some very basic (if not always obvious) documentation tucked away inside, at least to get you started.

And sometimes you can find a FAQ or similar document on the site where you downloaded the files to help out.

Senior Member registered user
    Is it possible to install driver for modem in Live CD mode? I think it is not. Only after installation on HDD.