Thread: Problem w/ Nforce Mobo

Problem w/ Nforce Mobo

I have the ASUS A7N8X...Knoppix 3.1 while it loads, and I get in...it does not recognize the on-board audio nor the on-board NIC - the NVidia on-board hardware...I have no PCI cards required.

Is there a customized Knoppix image that supports these? An Nforce chipset/mobo flavour? Or some way I can get these working, some drivers I can add or something like that?...namely the NIC so I can get 'Net access?

Any and all help would be most appreciated.

Thanx!

nforce2

... and you are lucky .. because on my A7N8X Deluxe, knoppix doesn't boot. Even in failsafe.

I would like to know if there are additional boot command line parameters that would enable the audio and NIC on the A7N8X Deluxe as well.

A7N8X is actually NForce2 I think, which is a different kettle of fish to the original NForce. I've got an A7N266-VM (NForce1), and the sound works out of the box. Still the same issue with the NIC though - I guess I'm going to have to build it from source. It would be nice to have a version of Knoppix with this built in.

Yes. The A7N8X Deluxe is based on the nforce2 chipset. I use the SPDIF for Windows, and that has always worked nicely for me. Just last night I tried the standard mini-RCA stereo jack, and it WORKED for Knoppix! So, for me, audio is no longer an issue. The A7N8X Deluxe has a second 3Com branded NIC, which I also tried last night, but to no avail. I'll have to open the box and drop in a PCI NIC and see how that goes.

Update: I am currently running Knoppix with the audio enabled and using a PCI 3Com NIC. Cool. This looks like a great solution for people that wish to learn Linux but don't want to fool around with repartitioning their existing Windows installations...

Senior Member registered user
    Can you explain what you did? They might want to include it on the CD so it will function correctly out of the box...

Junior Member registered user
    I'm not sure how NVidia licensed their NForce1/2 drivers, there are linux drivers available from them however knoppix may not be able to include them in their distribution due to NVidia's license, just like the accelerated display drivers NVidia has made for linux.

I did nothing to the installation.

For the audio:
    My speaker set works with SPDIF in, or with standard 1/8" RCA. I generally use only the SPDIF, but I tried the 1/8" plug and that worked.

For the NIC:
    I used an old 3COM 590 PCI NIC that I had lying around. So, I currently have 3 NICs in my PC. 2 that are built into my main board that are totally unused, and the third that I added in just to try out the distro.

If I had the Linux experience, I could probably work through the tools to recreate the CD with the appropriate drivers from nvidia...but I'm lazy.

Senior Member registered user

remaster

I'm working on a remaster now and will try to include the Nforce2 NIC driver. Not sure how to go about it though....