View Poll Results: Do you want better modem support?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Modems are the only internet access in most of the world, and crucial to keep any new users.

10 40.00%
  • With better modem drivers, I could give knoppix/linux to a few more users.

6 24.00%
  • Modem drivers would be great, but not crucial.

7 28.00%
  • Modem drivers are a waste of time, they're not used anymore.

2 8.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no modem = no internet = lost user

Help develop a modem-boot-detect

To help with this you'll need to download Kurumin Linux.
    It's only 180mb or so.

http://www.guiadohardware.info/kurum...x.php#download

-------------------------------
    I'm writing a script to automatically detect the softmodem installed and load the driver at boot time, without clicking on the icons. For that I need to gather the identification codes of the largest number of modems possible.

If you have a softmodem of any kind, that works in Kurumin, post here the output of the lspci command. Just open a terminal, type lspci and paste the output of the command.

You can select all the text in the terminal and paste using the center button on the mouse.

If you know which option your modem works with, post it also, it will make my work easier.

--------------------

Estou escrevendo um script para detectar automaticamente o softmodem instalado no micro e já carregar o driver no boot, sem precisar clicar no ícone. Para isso preciso reunir os codigos de identificação do maior numero possivel de modems.

Se você tem um softmodem qualquer, que funciona no Kurumin, poste aqui a saída do comando lspci. Basta abrir um terminal, digitar lspci e colar a saída do comando.

Você pode selecionar o texto todo no terminal e colar usando o botão central do mouse.

Se você souber com qual opção do menu o seu modem funciona, poste também, facilita o meu trabalho.

A saída do lspci é algo como:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 740 Host (rev 01)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS 530 Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)
    00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 85C503/5513 (rev 10)
    00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev d0)
    00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator (rev a0)
    00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 10/100 Ethernet (rev 90)
    00:05.0 Communication controller: Conexant HSF 56k HSFi Modem (rev 01)
    00:07.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host Controller (rev 46)
    00:08.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 50)
    00:08.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 50)
    00:08.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 51)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS650/651/M650/740 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter

eh forgot

this is where your LSPCI output should be posted.

http://www.kurumin.com.br/forum/viewforum.php?f=29

PCI & AC97 modems

I've managed to get an Actiontec PCI modem running under Knoppix. Needs a link from /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS4 to work.

www.smlink.com has software for AC97 modems that I've compiled with a Knoppix hard disk install and got to work with a VIA-based AC97 modem.

getting a modem to work in linux/knoppix

so in knoppix to get a modem to work you ONLY have to:

1-install knoppix to hard disk
    2-locate the chipset used in your modem
    3-download the drivers for that chipset
    4-compile the drivers or kernel with that source/binary code
    5-chnage the /dev/modem to point to the right device

in spite of knowing all the reasons, i still find it ironic that a poor person, the typical winmodem user, needs to install and perhaps will even buy windows, just to access the net.

a corporate or wealthier user with ethernet or dsl can nearly always use linux.

what can regular people do to improve this, short of becoming c hacking programmers ?

Senior Member registered user
    People mostly don't pay explicitly for windows, but get a OEM-version with a new PC.

In most cases you don't get the pc any cheaper, if you don't want an OS on it.
    Ironically we pay implicitly for MS when buying a pc which shall only be used for linux.

Member registered user
    edit

Quote Originally Posted by user unknown
    People mostly don't pay explicitly for windows, but get a OEM-version with a new PC.

In most cases you don't get the pc any cheaper, if you don't want an OS on it.
    Ironically we pay implicitly for MS when buying a pc which shall only be used for linux.
    I think you are "pretty much" correct, as far as getting Windows with a new computer... ( used to work for a OEM pc seller )

But, it may be different with different pc sellers, because when I bought my "new" computer, the dealer knew I wanted it for Linux only, and asked if I wanted a "Windows" version with it, I said: "no.", and he discounted the price. He also, knowing it was getting Linux installed on it, didn't format and install any OS on the system for me... But, I think you do in most cases... You get a new version of Windows, installed, and the "cost" is included into the price, when a new system is purchased. I think if you go with Gateway, or Dell, you can't buy a computer without some form of OS installed on it already, and in most cases, generally, it is going to be the "newest" version of Windows.

The dealer I went through was a special case, and deffinately not the "norm".
    Ms. Cuddles

Re: getting a modem to work in linux/knoppix

Quote Originally Posted by h00man
    so in knoppix to get a modem to work you ONLY have to:

1-install knoppix to hard disk
    2-locate the chipset used in your modem
    3-download the drivers for that chipset
    4-compile the drivers or kernel with that source/binary code
    5-chnage the /dev/modem to point to the right device

in spite of knowing all the reasons, i still find it ironic that a poor person, the typical winmodem user, needs to install and perhaps will even buy windows, just to access the net.
    You pretty much got it, its not so much the "typical winmodem user", but, more the "typical pc purchased now-a-days" comes with WinModems...

a corporate or wealthier user with ethernet or dsl can nearly always use linux.
    Not so much the "wealthier" or "corporate" user, but, a user who "knows" what hardware works with Linux, and dictates the purchasing of a computer with those constraints involved...

what can regular people do to improve this, short of becoming c hacking programmers ?
    I "never" hacked my system, nor do I program in "C", I just went to the dealer, said I want a new computer, without a "motherboard mounted modem", and added a modem from the "hardware" shelf. I found a motherboard that didn't have the modem "pre-installed" on it, then walked down the hardware shelves, found a nice modem that uses the seriel port, and the cost was "minimal" - the motherboard was cheaper, so I was able to pick a faster processor, and the "hardware" modem was around $25 -=- and I just came home, plugged it in, pointed KPPP to the seriel port, and was connected in two seconds.

The Computer dealer wasn't Gateway, or Dell, it was a Maa & Paa type, so they worked with me, not sure if this kind of "assistance" is available with the "BIG" dealers -=- but, if they want your business, they will do what YOU want, not want they want... They will learn, maybe after a few people call them up, and ask for "special" considerations on there computer systems ( ? )

Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

Quote Originally Posted by adamherb
    I dont know if everyone knows this and i am sounding stupid, but if you buy a router and set it up in windows, then boot in knoppix, you can get the internet! Sorry if everbody knows this!
    Yes, this is the right solution IMO. But not too many router has modem support though. I know that the discontinued orinoco RG1000 has this(modem built-in) and it is a great little product for wireless.

If you don't need the slow analog modem, get a WRT54G. It is cheap, it runs linux and you can do lots of neat and cool things on it because it runs linux Or the ASUS WL500G which has an USB port that one may plug a modem, same hardware also runs linux.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12