Thread: knoppix -> debian

knoppix -> debian

Ok heres my story, if you don't care skip to the bottom part.

backgroung:
    I started using linux about a year ago, and chose Red Hat 9 as my first distro, because i heard it was a good distro for linux newbies. Looking back on that decision, i relize it was a mistake because red hat "holds your hand" too much and doesn't require you to learn much about linux to use it (all the graphical utillities).

I recently decided to move to a more advanced distro which you actually had to have some knowledge in order to use and would be a challange and i narrowed my choices to slackware, debian, and gentoo. I eventully chose debian.

Since I have 56k just downloading the latest unstable iso's from ftp was not an option, so i went to eBay to look for linux cd's like i did when i got RedHat9. I was unplesantly supprised to find that the only cd's on sale on ebay were rather old debian woody disk which had older versions that the redhat disk i already had.

When i came accross the knoppix disk, it seemed like a good idea becuase i was wanting a live linux disk and it was based on debian. My new goal was to perform a hdd instalation of knoppix and totally convert it to debian (since the knoppix disk had alot more recent software i.e. kernel 2.4 + 2.6 and kde 3.2), plus i thought the process of the conversion would be a good learning experience.

I have had some luck. I got my winmodem to work, got my ATI 9600XT drivers installed after some fiddling, and am able to placy ut2004 (ableit ALOT slower than on windows). Now i am ready to remove all traces of knoppix that i no longer need.

heres the question:
    in my efforts to convert the knoppix hdd install to debian (keep in mind im on 56k so heavy downloading is not an option) i have run across the heavily modifed /init.d scripts. I would like to replace them with the standard debian scripts and would like to know where i can find them and the easiest way to replace them.

Also, i am trying to upgrade as many packages as possible and i would lke to know which ones are the most useful and most important to update from a security standpoint.

Member registered user
    knoppix becomes debian after an installation.
    After a fresh install do this apt-get update then apt-get -u dist-upgrade and you are set

Senior Member registered user

Re: knoppix -> debian

Quote Originally Posted by 12Iceman
    i have run across the heavily modifed /init.d scripts. I would like to replace them with the standard debian scripts and would like to know where i can find them and the easiest way to replace them.
    Hmm. I guess we would need a little more information here. What needs to be replaced? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by 12Iceman
    Also, i am trying to upgrade as many packages as possible and i would lke to know which ones are the most useful and most important to update from a security standpoint.
    You need to do some reading on "apt-get." I'd recommend going to the docs at debian.org If you are on 56k dialup, then doing a regular full updates of all that is included in Knoppix is going to be a problem. The sheer number of packages in knoppix means that when you do an "apt-get upgrade" you'll be downloading for a long time on dial up. You can therefore, remove packages you don't want, or simply comment out all the sources in /etc/apt/sources.list except your security sources.

To get some more info on your security sources in /etc/apt/sources.list look at http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/SecurityHowTo

Quote Originally Posted by DimGR
    knoppix becomes debian after an installation.
    After a fresh install do this apt-get update then apt-get -u dist-upgrade and you are set
    If you would have read the 56k part of my post you would have realized that an apt-get -u dist-upgrade is out of the question because it would take too long to download on my connection.

Quote Originally Posted by aay
    You need to do some reading on "apt-get." I'd recommend going to the docs at debian.org
    I have already spent several hours on debian.org and knoppix.net reading up different subjects such as apt-get and was already using it to update the packages i find necessary. What i was asking was what were the most important packages. I have already changed my sources list from the default knoppix sources, as per the suggestion of another user on this forum.

When i was refering to the init.d scripts i was talking about all the code relating to the live linux disk which i no longer need (for example their are variables relating to what install mode i chose to install with), also there is alot of stuff in there which i would only need if i upgraded to the 2.6 kernel.