Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: a number of minor issues from a n00b

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    11

    a number of minor issues from a n00b

    im a relative linux n00b, ive tried a few distros and like knoppix because its debian based and rather up-to-date

    but ive got a few problems im not sure how to fix; most of them are minor i think but definitely annoying

    first, i cant browse /mnt at all, anything i browse it with locks up. looking into hda7 for example from the desktop causes a problem, but trying to look diretly into /mnt things freeze and i have to reboot (unless someone can tell me how to kill X and whatever else while starting at it

    second: apt-get update gives me a problem: i get *alot* of connection errors; where can i get a good, uptodate sources.list to use?

    third: xine gives me a nav packet error when playing dvds; i think i found a solution to that in the forums...but i need apt-get to update properly to get it working :/

    fpurth: how do i add resolutions for a monitor? i use a 17" crt but want a higher res than 1024x768 i forget the next one up 1152x something i think) ?

    i think thats it for now, i had a couple other things i wanted to ask about (though A-ive forgotten them right now, and B-they needed apt-get to work properly anyway)

    all help appreciated, sorry if some of this has been answered before

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: a number of minor issues from a n00b

    Quote Originally Posted by xSauronx
    im a relative linux n00b, ive tried a few distros and like knoppix because its debian based and rather up-to-date

    but ive got a few problems im not sure how to fix; most of them are minor i think but definitely annoying

    first, i cant browse /mnt at all, anything i browse it with locks up. looking into hda7 for example from the desktop causes a problem, but trying to look diretly into /mnt things freeze and i have to reboot (unless someone can tell me how to kill X and whatever else while starting at it
    Not sure exactly what you mean when you say "trying to look directly into /mnt" but have you done cd /mnt? Are you using KDE?

    second: apt-get update gives me a problem: i get *alot* of connection errors; where can i get a good, uptodate sources.list to use?
    Well here's my /etc/apt/sources.list:
    Code:
    deb ftp://archive.progeny.com/debian/ testing main
    deb-src ftp://archive.progeny.com/debian/ testing main
    
    deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
    Have a look at apt-spy to create your own sources.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get install apt-spy
    man apt-spy

    third: xine gives me a nav packet error when playing dvds; i think i found a solution to that in the forums...but i need apt-get to update properly to get it working :/
    Have you installed libdvdcss?
    wget http://download.videolan.org/pub/lib...2.8-1_i386.deb

    sudo dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.8-1_i386.deb

    fpurth: how do i add resolutions for a monitor? i use a 17" crt but want a higher res than 1024x768 i forget the next one up 1152x something i think) ?
    Have a look at /etc/X11/XF86Config-4and add your resolutions.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    11

    Re: a number of minor issues from a n00b

    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    Quote Originally Posted by xSauronx
    im a relative linux n00b, ive tried a few distros and like knoppix because its debian based and rather up-to-date

    but ive got a few problems im not sure how to fix; most of them are minor i think but definitely annoying

    first, i cant browse /mnt at all, anything i browse it with locks up. looking into hda7 for example from the desktop causes a problem, but trying to look diretly into /mnt things freeze and i have to reboot (unless someone can tell me how to kill X and whatever else while starting at it
    Not sure exactly what you mean when you say "trying to look directly into /mnt" but have you done cd /mnt? Are you using KDE?
    i can browse /mnt from a terminal and do ls and see whats in it, but when i use anything graphical to browse, /mnt *always* freezes me. the mouse still moves, but nothing responds at all. Yes, im using KDE

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    37
    When the computer freezes
    Try hitting CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE
    That should restart the x-system
    If that don't work. Try pressing CTRL+ALT+F2 log as root and type /etc/init.d/kdm restart

    As for the /mnt problem. Can't you use the links on your desktop?
    What file systems du you have?
    Do you have the floppy device enablet in your bios, but you don'r have any floppy device?

    Sincerley
    Gozar

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozar
    When the computer freezes
    Try hitting CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE
    That should restart the x-system
    If that don't work. Try pressing CTRL+ALT+F2 log as root and type /etc/init.d/kdm restart

    As for the /mnt problem. Can't you use the links on your desktop?
    What file systems du you have?
    Do you have the floppy device enablet in your bios, but you don'r have any floppy device?
    i can use the links, sure. but if it doesnt work....id like it fixed
    *odd*i can browse /mnt suddenly ?? i reboot, and i tr to browse it...no go, try again, it works; strange.

    *more odd* when broswing from /mnt into /hdaX it sometimes takes a long time to open the folder, or doesnt open at all. when opening from the dekstop its instant, any ideas how to fix that?

    on libdvdcss:
    installed as per instructions
    xine gives new error: "thre is no input plugin available to handle 'dvd:/'
    Maybe MRL syntax is wrong or file/stream source doesnt exist

    *another oddity* no sign of DVD/CD being mounted anywhere. it worked earlier, but nothing is showing that i have a cd/dvd in anywhere (there is /cdrom and /dvd and /mnt/cdaudio and /mnt/dvd but neither of those have anything)

    how do i get the dvd writer i have mounted again? i didnt change anything that should have effected it so i dont know why this is happening now.

    thanks guys, i appreciate this

    this is annoying :/

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by xSauronx
    i can use the links, sure. but if it doesnt work....id like it fixed
    *odd*i can browse /mnt suddenly ??
    *more odd* when broswing from /mnt into /hdaX it takes a long time to open the folder, or doesnt open at all. when opening from the dekstop its instant, any ideas how to fix that?
    I think it's a issue with automount. The same happens here, and if i exaime the output of dmesg it's cause of the auto mount searches for a floppy but can't find any!

    Code:
    end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
    end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
    If you push the close window buttom (the x in the upper left cornor) it will eventurly say that konqueror don't respond, and ask if you want to close it.

    Sincerley
    Gozar

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozar
    Quote Originally Posted by xSauronx
    i can use the links, sure. but if it doesnt work....id like it fixed
    *odd*i can browse /mnt suddenly ??
    *more odd* when broswing from /mnt into /hdaX it takes a long time to open the folder, or doesnt open at all. when opening from the dekstop its instant, any ideas how to fix that?
    I think it's a issue with automount. The same happens here, and if i exaime the output of dmesg it's cause of the auto mount searches for a floppy but can't find any!

    Code:
    end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
    end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
    If you push the close window buttom (the x in the upper left cornor) it will eventurly say that konqueror don't respond, and ask if you want to close it.

    Sincerley
    Gozar
    anywa to get automount to not look for a floppy drive?
    and how do i get my dvd to mount...and stay that way?

    i hate being a n00b :/

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by xSauronx
    anywa to get automount to not look for a floppy drive?
    donno
    [quote]
    and how do i get my dvd to mount...and stay that way?
    Can you be more specfi?
    i hate being a n00b :/
    Sincerley
    Gozar

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Well I don't use KDE so I'm not much help w/ that problem. I like Roxfiler myself. Works very good. But as for the DVD issue- you don't need to mount it to watch a movie. Look at the configuration for Xine. It (like most Linux apps) expects to find your dvd drive as /dev/dvd BUT there is no such thing! So....you need to create it if it doesn't already exist.

    My dvd drive is the Primary Slave so it's called /dev/hdb. I just do this:

    ln -s /dev/hdb /dev/dvd

    Now, if you try to use /dev/dvd you're really using /dev/hdb. Make sense?

    Of course you can configure Xine to use /dev/hdb if you don't want to mess about w/ symlinks although symlinks really are easy and it would be to your advantage to use them.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by xSauronx
    anywa to get automount to not look for a floppy drive?
    I've always had the same issue on my laptop. Yes, you can turn off the automounter. Just run:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/autofs stop
    If you want to stop it permanently (and trust me you do) then also run:
    Code:
    update-rc.d -f autofs remove

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. You passed an undefined mode number???
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 03:30 PM
  2. minor flaws, but disappointing
    By wolfgang_a_h in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 01:11 AM
  3. Minor problems with HDD install
    By ndrake in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-29-2003, 02:26 AM
  4. Minor patch to compressloop utilities
    By Entropy42 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2003, 06:38 AM
  5. hd install with 2 minor problems
    By rattler in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-22-2003, 03:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •