Based on my observations of this forum set, I have a recommendation.
I suggest the administrators set up a Forum Tread in the index for Windows users wishing to learn more about linux in general and knoppix in particular.
It should expressly state in the first message that Linux Geeks are NOT welcome. I have a gut feeling that the Windows community has as much technical savvy as those who somehow think linux knowledge places them on on a higher plane.
I'm frankly tired of the arrogance of some of these folks when dealing with those of us trying to learn "their" system so we can become members of "their" community. We can fend for ourselves. It may be a more arduous learning curve but at least we could investigate and learn and share among those of a similar background of OPSYS experience. Linux is improving but is light years behind ever becoming a user friendly system unless helped along by user friendly minded users.... gross omissions like lack of consistent install processes including wizards and scripts to take the labor and indepth system knowledge requirement out of the equation, lack of api-s that allow inclusion of new hardware without recompiling the "kernel" (geeze what a primitive concept) etc. will prevent this mess from ever becoming a mature desktop environment.
I know work is being done on some of the necessary stuff but the obnoxious community we have to deal with to find out the simplest things that unecessarily impede a noobee from getting what they aleady have working on Windows to just burp in linux is itself a great turnoff.
Just where do these folks think their converts are going to come from, those who get insulted because they are new to an overly complex environment or those that demand sensible user interfaces and tools already present in the system they are trying to move from?
Please give us a venue on the Knoppix forum where we can share our sucesses and knowledge without the abuse. Free software that requires a PHD to deal with is not free. You get what you pay for. Make no mistake . I want to move from Windows to an open environment but it is not cost that drives me.
If you don't like this position then flame away, I'm a lot thicker skinned than some of the linux techweenies around here. If you agree then lets get going on a windows migration exchange among windows knowledgable folks.