Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoppix for Windows Users

Knoppix for Windows Users

Based on my observations of this forum set, I have a recommendation.
    I suggest the administrators set up a Forum Tread in the index for Windows users wishing to learn more about linux in general and knoppix in particular.
    It should expressly state in the first message that Linux Geeks are NOT welcome. I have a gut feeling that the Windows community has as much technical savvy as those who somehow think linux knowledge places them on on a higher plane.
    I'm frankly tired of the arrogance of some of these folks when dealing with those of us trying to learn "their" system so we can become members of "their" community. We can fend for ourselves. It may be a more arduous learning curve but at least we could investigate and learn and share among those of a similar background of OPSYS experience. Linux is improving but is light years behind ever becoming a user friendly system unless helped along by user friendly minded users.... gross omissions like lack of consistent install processes including wizards and scripts to take the labor and indepth system knowledge requirement out of the equation, lack of api-s that allow inclusion of new hardware without recompiling the "kernel" (geeze what a primitive concept) etc. will prevent this mess from ever becoming a mature desktop environment.
    I know work is being done on some of the necessary stuff but the obnoxious community we have to deal with to find out the simplest things that unecessarily impede a noobee from getting what they aleady have working on Windows to just burp in linux is itself a great turnoff.
    Just where do these folks think their converts are going to come from, those who get insulted because they are new to an overly complex environment or those that demand sensible user interfaces and tools already present in the system they are trying to move from?
    Please give us a venue on the Knoppix forum where we can share our sucesses and knowledge without the abuse. Free software that requires a PHD to deal with is not free. You get what you pay for. Make no mistake . I want to move from Windows to an open environment but it is not cost that drives me.
    If you don't like this position then flame away, I'm a lot thicker skinned than some of the linux techweenies around here. If you agree then lets get going on a windows migration exchange among windows knowledgable folks.

Senior Member registered user

Re: Knoppix for Windows Users

Quote Originally Posted by knewbex
    If you don't like this position then flame away, I'm a lot thicker skinned than some of the linux techweenies around here. If you agree then lets get going on a windows migration exchange among windows knowledgable folks.
    1. No, I LOVE this position. I really do. I was there also. And what you are saying about the limitations of Linux are absolutely true.

2. Don't know how long you've been lurking at this site (well, actually I guess I do, because from your profile it looks like you joined less than a week ago), but I hope that you haven't gotten your prejudices about linux geeks here. I've been here about a year, now, and for the most part, I've found people here to be extremely helpful and patient. When they aren't patient, it's because the problem isn't described specifically enough to allow anyone to help. If you drew your perceptions somewhere else, give this site a chance. There's very little flaming here, and very little of the "RTFM" mentality.

3. As a new linux user from Windows, I WANTED help from experienced people. If Eadz desires to incorporate your suggestion into his site (and it is his site, after all) I would suggest, as someone in the middle, that experienced Linux users NOT be excluded from helping if they wish to, PROVIDED THAT they agree to do so in a way that doesn't exhibit the arrogance you describe. No MS or Windows bashing, for example. No "RTFM". No answers consisting simply of a link to the "How to ask intelligent questions" site. Frankly, I don't think that experienced Linux users with the arrogance you describe WANT to help people who don't want their help, and will be more than happy to stay away if the poster simply says so in the title of the post (e.g., no experienced replies, please). I really think that a newbie section makes a lot of sense, and the folks who are rabidly into Linux won't be annoyed by reading through posts that try their patience.

JD

I know work is being done on some of the necessary stuff but the obnoxious community we have to deal with to find out the simplest things that unecessarily impede a noobee from getting what they aleady have working on Windows to just burp in linux is itself a great turnoff.
    We must be reading different forums. Although some in the Linux community can be..."obnoxious" isn't the word I'd use...maybe arrogant...anyway, this board is the friendliest Linux board I've seen so far -- there's a strong desire to help, and precious little Microsoft or newbie bashing -- to the point where I've been very tempted to ask for help with other flavors of Linux, and even post Windows questions, here.

Please give us a venue on the Knoppix forum where we can share our sucesses and knowledge without the abuse.
    I don't see any abuse happening here and never have. You seem to have a thinner skin than you think.

Member registered user

Post removed due to offensive nature.

All comments here are directed to initial poster.

I think one of the problems is that many of us, myself included, still consider ourselves to be newbies, even when we try to help others. There are maybe half a dozen people on this site who honestly know how talented and knowledgeable they are. I read a post by someone who had nearly 600 posts here, and that person still referred to herself as a newbie. To others, some of us may seem like linux geeks, but to many of us, we consider ourselves to be just as frustrated and vulnerable as you. Few, if any, of us are professional teachers, so we do the best we can to help without offending.

BTW, one of the things that will spark an arrogant reaction is for someone to come in here with a big chip on their shoulder, and it sounded to me like you had a huge one.

JD

I agree with this whole thread!

1. It would be nice to have a migration from windows catagory, just to make the new crap, er sorry, crop of L-users feel welcome.

2. I agree this is the best of ANY Linux Forum I have ever had the pleasure to meet with. You guys are awesome. Its too bad you smell like that though.

3. Just so you know, I was speaking about myself in point one. ... and probably the second part of two as well.

Re: Knoppix for Windows Users

Quote Originally Posted by knewbex
    Based on my observations of this forum set, I have a recommendation.
    I suggest the administrators set up a Forum Tread in the index for Windows users wishing to learn more about linux in general and knoppix in particular. It should expressly state in the first message that Linux Geeks are NOT welcome. I have a gut feeling that the Windows community has as much technical savvy as those who somehow think linux knowledge places them on on a higher plane. I'm frankly tired of the arrogance of some of these folks when dealing with those of us trying to learn "their" system so we can become members of "their" community. We can fend for ourselves.

Please give us a venue on the Knoppix forum where we can share our sucesses and knowledge without the abuse.
    You know, I was just thinking, if this is what you want, and you don't want to hear from any one here, then WTH are you here in the first place??? I mean, this isn't some corporate-sponsored forum - there are options. Please feel free to start whatever community you want, and you can flame Linux and Linux-folks to your heart's content, and the rest of the Windows users on your site can find your own answers. Just what exactly is it about this place that makes you want to be here? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you aren't welcome here or anything, but after re-reading your post, I can't think of one logical reason why this place would be necessary to your goals - you've already said that you don't want what it has to offer. So, maybe before you ask a bunch of people to scramble around to accommodate your desire to be isolated from this imagined fantasy of what you perceive this site to be, maybe you should reconsider whether this is the best place for you in the first place. There's no corporate sponsorship of this forum, as you're probably used to with Microsoft products, so no one here is going to lose any money or anything if you start your own site. I just looked at GoDaddy.com, and it turns out that "Knoppixsucks.com" is available for the asking. I say go for it, dude!

JD

I don't ever say anything, but I admit that I ignore the people asking questions that have been asked 100 times. This is really the only thing I've ever seen people on this forum be blunt about. I hope this isn't what is being referred to here though, because that's not a "linux forum" phenomenon. Doing a quick search before asking a question is just the proper thing to do on any support forum. Windows forums aren't any more accepting of such things...nor car forums, nor guitar forums, etc.

Interestingly, I think I've actually seen more posts on here referring to "linux snobs" and such than I have anything derogatory towards windows users. It seems like some people come in expecting everybody to be rude...and a few seem to be looking for anything that will confirm that expectation.

Knoppix for Windows users

"Based on my observations of this forum set, I have a recommendation.
    I suggest the administrators set up a Forum Tread in the index for Windows users wishing to learn more about linux in general and knoppix in particular."

Hi, I agree with knewbex. As newbie and still Windows user, I think it is a good idea. It is right that there are the FAQ, other docs and the mainling lists, but often it is difficult to find the right answer for the own problem because the many hardward configurations and needs.
    I suggest a moderator/maintainer for windows users.

Edgardo

I think a windows forum is a good idea and can be used for :

- Windows recovery using Knoppix
    - Problems with windows after running knoppix ( these happen rarely )
    - Support from windows people
    - migration from windows
    - general discussion about open source/free software windows products ( mozilla, open office etc )

The fact is, Knoppix is many windows's users first experience with Linux, and if (ex)windows users want a forum well I think thats ok.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast