Thread: Network works on cd, fails after hd install

Network works on cd, fails after hd install

Hello,

I have been playing with Knoppix on my laptop (Kiwi OpenNote 810) for some time and finally decided to do a HD install (full install to debian). Everything works fine when I boot off the cd. But, when booting off the hd install, the network never comes up. In watching the boot process, it looks like pcmcia starts ok, then the wireless card is found ok, then knoppix shuts down pcmcia services, continues the boot process and finally attempts to restart pcmcia services. At that point, the card manager appears to exit saying something about the socket being in use.

Any ideas?

Senior Member registered user
    I don't know a great deal about pcmcia and card services but it would be helpful if you posted the output of dmesg

Member registered user

Re: Network works on cd, fails after hd install

Quote Originally Posted by kpf8655
    Hello,

I have been playing with Knoppix on my laptop (Kiwi OpenNote 810) for some time and finally decided to do a HD install (full install to debian). Everything works fine when I boot off the cd. But, when booting off the hd install, the network never comes up. In watching the boot process, it looks like pcmcia starts ok, then the wireless card is found ok, then knoppix shuts down pcmcia services, continues the boot process and finally attempts to restart pcmcia services. At that point, the card manager appears to exit saying something about the socket being in use.
    what happens if you open a console and type as root: ifup eth0
    Any ideas?
    More details.

Having the same problem (3.4) - watching the load process the wireless card loads correctly, iwconfig successful, pump works (connection light goes solid),
    then for some reason the card manager is invoked to remove the card !

Why ?

Behavior is not reported in dmesg btw
    and iwconfig eth0 says no eth0 !

I vaugely remember a post about having to edit /etc/networking/interfaces and (re) add the wireless card (eth0 in my case). Is there something in the hdinstall that installs some kind of dynamic config file (re)building that copies over networking/interfaces ?

km

OK, more info ....

try to restart pcmcia since that seems to be what brought down the card , no dice - socket error

ps -ef finds a hanging pump - so I kill it

NOW I can restart pcmcia, iwconfig shows eth0, key is intact from wireless.config !! ping google, all is OK !

So what is causing pcmcia to bring down the card after it has sucessfully started ?

why is there a hanging pump - what is the relationship ?

no nuttin rite now

Ok, found the culprit - I think.

/etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-autoconfig - it searches and diffs /etc/network & /etc/pcmcia for changes (since install ?) and if diffs, restarts each.

So the questions is : is knoppix-hd-autoconfig necessary after a HD install ? It seems it's purpose is to check if there have been changes between the cd install and what is on the hd - isnt that actually expected once it's installed ?? e.g. wireless card reconfig for different networks ?

Is this because I used Knoppix install instead of Debian ?

Switched install to debian and with a minor edit (again in hd-autoconfig set TYPE=debian vs Beginner),

all is as expected - wireless works with no extra pumps or kills or iwconfigs

cool

now I truly know more

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by knowmoor
    now I truly know more
    Hey knowmoor, you may have thought you were talking to yourself there but can I let you know that I also learn't some good stuff from your adventures. Thanks for posting.