Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: knx-hdinstall removed! knoppix-installer busted!

Member registered user

knx-hdinstall removed! knoppix-installer busted!

Being a long-time user of knoppix, I downloaded the recent version of it a week or two ago.

I found that knx-hdinstall was gone! This surprised me greatly, as knx-hdinstall is better (to me) than knoppix-installer. I'm not afraid of terms like "root password", so I dislike seeing "administrator password". knx-hdinstall also offers more flexibility and configuration, to my liking than the other installer.

But, I tried knoppix-installer, and it failed to give me a bootable system. I've told it to install lilo to the MBR, but it doesn't work. It shouldn't be a problem, but it seems it might be that it is--my booting linux partition is 140 GB into the drive.

Upon reboot, the sytem said (with a bootdisk):
    "Boot error. loading linux ebda is big, kernel setup stack overlaps lilo second stage."

If I don't use a bootdisk, I get all 99 99 99 99 99 etc...

I am installing to the third partition on my hard drive, that's the way it is, that can't be changed, and I'm surprised knx-hdinstall was removed, when it's obviously better if it can make a boot disk that works, as opposed to knoppix-installer, which never has made a working bootdisk for me.

So, why was knx-hdinstall removed? Certainly not for space reasons! Also, knx-hdinstall, seems to no longer be compatible with the new knoppix disks. I ran it using a new new ISO, and it wouldn't run!

So...when will knx-hdinstall return, why was it removed, and when will knoppix-installer be able to make working bootdisks for me?

Bring back knx-hdinstall!!!!

/bump/

Yes include knx-hdinstall next time PLEASE, as lavaman mentions it cant excatly take up much space and I find it much more versitile.

A choice between the 2 would be great.

Senior Member registered user
    Well you could simply download the installer and run it although I completely disagree about the old installer having more functionality. Perhaps you just haven't explored its full potential yet?
    http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/installer/

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    Well you could simply download the installer and run it although I completely disagree about the old installer having more functionality. Perhaps you just haven't explored its full potential yet?
    http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/installer/
    I addressed this:
    >Also, knx-hdinstall, seems to no longer be compatible with the new knoppix disks. I ran it using a new new ISO, and it wouldn't run!

Thanks for the link, have you been able to use knx-hdinstall in one of the new disks that has it removed? Any special tricks? I executed it from a home directory, with the templates.tgz in the same directory as the shell script.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by lavaman094

I addressed this:
    >Also, knx-hdinstall, seems to no longer be compatible with the new knoppix disks. I ran it using a new new ISO, and it wouldn't run!
    Sorry musta missed that.

Thanks for the link, have you been able to use knx-hdinstall in one of the new disks that has it removed? Any special tricks? I executed it from a home directory, with the templates.tgz in the same directory as the shell script.
    Nah, truth be told I haven't even booted Knoppix for 3 or 4 months

Junior Member registered user
    The Knoppix 3.4 (5/10/04) installer file no longer is named (knx-hdinstall).
    The new file, which Is located in usr/sbin directory is named knx2hd. From your root directory, cd to usr/sbin and then type knx2hd. 3.4 will be installed. It's very easy to do.
    Having tried over ten times to install Debian 3.0r2 on my hd, without success, I decided to try Knoppix 3.3 and now 3.4. They installed without a hiccup.

Jesse

P4 water-cooled to 3.6ghz.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse
    The Knoppix 3.4 (5/10/04) installer file no longer is named (knx-hdinstall).
    The new file, which Is located in usr/sbin directory is named knx2hd. From your root directory, cd to usr/sbin and then type knx2hd. 3.4 will be installed. It's very easy to do.
    Having tried over ten times to install Debian 3.0r2 on my hd, without success, I decided to try Knoppix 3.3 and now 3.4. They installed without a hiccup.

Jesse

P4 water-cooled to 3.6ghz.
    Now THAT is the answer I was looking for...Thanks Jesse.

Gentleman …
    With the greatest respect I would like to inquire of the following noticeable changes in Knoppix 3.4 hard drive installation
    Knx-hdinstall to knoppix-installer
    cdisk to Qparted
    If it saved room to install these two changes then it’s an improvement ?
    . I cant see any advantage for QParted other than to confuse a new Linux user . I believe this is who the CD or DVD is being produced for . Should a windows user come over to Linux with a little experience in installation he/she will have at least seen fdisk which is similar to cdisk where as Qparted is quite a bit different.. Or is it just me being old school ? Wanting to see at least the utilities remain somewhat the same . I believe I should be able to explain to a new knoppix user the install procedure with out a hiccup changing the install procedure is just adding to the possibility of errors frustration and aggravation on the part of the new user . As I read this thread I see more even experienced users notice the change

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by sligh
    Gentleman …
    With the greatest respect I would like to inquire of the following noticeable changes in Knoppix 3.4 hard drive installation
    Knx-hdinstall to knoppix-installer
    cdisk to Qparted
    If it saved room to install these two changes then it’s an improvement ?
    . I cant see any advantage for QParted other than to confuse a new Linux user . I believe this is who the CD or DVD is being produced for . Should a windows user come over to Linux with a little experience in installation he/she will have at least seen fdisk which is similar to cdisk where as Qparted is quite a bit different.. Or is it just me being old school ? Wanting to see at least the utilities remain somewhat the same . I believe I should be able to explain to a new knoppix user the install procedure with out a hiccup changing the install procedure is just adding to the possibility of errors frustration and aggravation on the part of the new user . As I read this thread I see more even experienced users notice the change
    the command "knx-hdinstall" is linked all over the web as the "knoppix installation" command also... A simlink from knx-hdinstall to knx2hd would be useful to those confused...

Unfortunately if someone were to do a (May 23 2004) Google search “install knoppix “ the majority of tutorials are supporting “ knx-install “. I know it will change as time goes by .. It could have been changed to the words “spaceship” and I would learn from this forum because I try to keep up to date . Aaaah but the poor new comer who is doing the right thing searching Google is in for knock on the knoggin !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast