Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: logout & logout knoppix

logout & logout knoppix

I don't get a log on screen when login to knoppix, the desktop appears can someone tell me what is wrong, do I need to change a setting.

When I logout of knoppix, my machine power down completely, can someone tell me what is wrong, do I need to change a setting.

Senior Member registered user

Re: logout & logout knoppix

Quote Originally Posted by chain
    I don't get a log on screen when login to knoppix, the desktop appears can someone tell me what is wrong, do I need to change a setting.

When I logout of knoppix, my machine power down completely, can someone tell me what is wrong, do I need to change a setting.
    Can I make an assumption here... Are you booting off the Knoppix CD, or have you done a hard drive install of Knoppix

If your answer to the above assumption is - You are booting off the CD - then nothing is wrong with your Operating System - as noted in the "sticky" on Root Passwords, you do not need to login to Knoppix if you are running off the CD, and, as far as the shutdown is concerned, that is a normal behaviour too.

If, on the other hand, you are not booting off the CD, then, yes this is a issue, and maybe even a convern. But, I would guess you are running off the CD.

Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

If you did install to your hard-drive you must've done a knoppix-style install. This is normal for that type of install. If you want the logon screen and to have more control you should reinstall choosing either debian-like or beginner.

ChampagneMojo,

I am seriously getting confused, especially with the new Knoppix v3.4 coming out, and I haven't gotten to installing it yet...

With Knoppix v3.3 - I used knx-hdinstall - which appears to not be an option in the newer version...

What appears to be there now, is more options, and more installers, and I am getting lost on what I want. I know I don't want beginner, but I think thats an option in one of the installers, and not an actuall installer itself.

From what I know, knx-hdinstall gave me a "knoppix" install, with Debian, which I like. From what I am hearing, I want a "debian-like" install, ( I think ? )

Can someone who has run through the Knoppix v3.4 installs, run down what "installers" are available, how they are run, what options they have, and what they will "ultimately" setup, limit, or do??????

I want to make sure that after I install the new kernel 2.6 with Knoppix v3.4, that I am not doing the repeatedly "gut 'n' re-install" just because of a lack of information and running the right thing during the install process. ( I'm already going to have a lot of fun, as it is, trying to re-install all the "apt-get install" stuff I am going to loose again, I'd hate to add insult to injury by making a bad install on top of that too )

Add into this wrinkle that I am also attempting to "multi-partition" this install, which I have not done on previous releases of Knoppix, so I am in complete dissarray here...

Thanks for any, and all, assistance,
    Ms. Cuddles

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Can someone who has run through the Knoppix v3.4 installs, run down what "installers" are available, how they are run, what options they have, and what they will "ultimately" setup, limit, or do??????
    Good question/suggestion!!!! There's a lot of misinformation and folklore being spread around, complicated by changes in terminology. I would love to see a comprehensive discussion of options, maybe as a sticky in the HD Install section. We need to define:

Poor man's
    Beginners
    Knoppix style
    Debian Style
    knx2hd
    knoppix-installer
    knx-hdinstall

What's what? Which ones can be changed, and which still need cheatcodes? What are the limitations? What are the recommended partitions and file system formats, what bootloaders and where to install them, dual boots with single drives, dual boots with dual drives.

I'd like to see one comprehensive go to, without personal bias, telling users what the options are in one place. The, once we all agree, let's put something in the docs that is up to date and comprehensive.

jd

Yeah, it is confusing Cuddles. You want either the debian-like install or the beginner's install.

The debian-like install will be like what you got with knx-hdinstall. The beginner's install is the debian-like install with the hw-detection that you get in the knoppix-style install (I haven't messed with this one myself really...I've stuck with debian-like). Just don't choose the knoppix-style or knoppix-like or whatever it's called...because that will just basically put the live-cd onto your computer...you'll have all the cons of the live-cd in terms of control over the system.

And if you haven't used knoppix-installer before, you should look into the .knofig file. It has some options you can set that aren't available through the gui of the installer..

There's a short description of the types of installs in: http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixInstaller

As for the different installers, there's only one AFAICT, knoppix-installer
    root@ttyp0[sbin]# ll|grep installer
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 May 16 11:40 k2hd -> knoppix-installer
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 12025 May 16 00:04 knoppix-installer
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 417 May 16 00:04 knoppix-installer-latest-web
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 May 16 11:40 knx2hd -> knoppix-installer

Had to finally boot up the 3.4 just to see it

So, if you do beginner's and get the hw detection, can you still manually configure hw if it changes to something the hw detection can't detect? Do you still need cheat codes with beginner's.

Confusing nomenclature. I assumed that beginner's = poor man's without a boot disk, but from what C-Mojo is saying, it sounds like that's Knoppix-style. Counter-intuitive, but hey, that's why we need this. So, with Debian-style install, does it install all the apps and drivers that are already on the live CD, or do you have to do than manually?

jd

Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    So, if you do beginner's and get the hw detection, can you still manually configure hw if it changes to something the hw detection can't detect? Do you still need cheat codes with beginner's.
    That's a good question. My guess is that the beginner's install might not be a good idea if the hw-detection doesn't like something on your system. But hopefully someone who actually knows can tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    So, with Debian-style install, does it install all the apps and drivers that are already on the live CD, or do you have to do than manually?
    Yes, it does just like knx-hdinstall did. As long as all goes right, your apps and drivers are set and you just reboot and have a nice hard-drive install. The only differences are improvements IMO...you get to choose your username and you have a few more options through the .knofig file.

Ok,

I think I am starting to understand this, possibly, and I still could be wrong in this assumption, so, here goes...

Appears that there is only ONE installer -=- knoppix-installer -=- which, by reason of deduction, all things I have heard of "beginner", "debian-like", lnoppix-like", etc... all must be options that are asked during this installer. In other words, you fire off this single installer for Knoppix to do a hard drive install, and are prompted during this install, for the different options that I mentioned, and others have mentioned, in this "current" thread. ( am I correct on this, my, assumption? )

Confusing you could say that - before, only one installer I knew of, it did what I wanted, and now, I come to think that more than 10 installers must exist for a hard drive install in v3.4, only to find out, not ten different installers, but, rather, one installer with 10 different options. Sheesh

I would also take bets on the fact that the installer ALSO installs twenty languages that I will never use, support for things other than XFree, etc, etc, etc... that need to be "manually" ripped out ( like you had to do with v3.3 - right? )... Oh well, progress doesn't come cheap, it appears...

Ms. Cuddles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast