Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix and NoMachine

Senior Member registered user

running nx server on knippix 3.3

Well, Im running nx server on knoppix 3.3 hd install and its very fast compared to a
    windows terminal server. It was easy to install, but I have a font problem so its not
    perfect yet. All text show up as boxes and I have not found out how to fix this yet.

metavoid, would you consider posting a quick "howto" for this thread? I would be interested in how you configured sources.list and what apt-get commands you ran for installation. Post installation, I would be interested in how you configure the server and start the service to accept connections from remote clients.

This is something that I have been meaning to do on a remaster, and I would LOVE to benefit from anothers experiences.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Regards,

~pau1

pau1knopp

I didn't do anything wild.

1) I download the deb files from nomachine.com

2) Installed the clint first (important) with dpkg --install
    then the server same way. No errors.

3) then went to nx home folder
    cd /usr/NX/bin

4) added a user

nxserver --useradd knoppix

4) started ssh, maybe you should use nxssh

5) Started the server with
    nxserver start

6) started the nxclient and it just connected.
    There was a font problem. I fixed that by setting all
    font to luxi sans inside the client using kcontrol.

Nothing more.

Darn, was hoping you had used the GPL'ed versions available from Kalyxo (http://www.kalyxo.org/debian/) Maybe I'll try the commercial version first since it is an easier install, and I can see what a working system would work like.

Has anyone loaded the GPL'ed version (freenx server)? I know they kludged a system together for LinuxTAG, and I would like to do the same thing.

Regards,

~pau1

Little boxes instead of letters

Metavoid said:
    Well, Im running nx server on knoppix 3.3 hd install and its very fast compared to a
    windows terminal server. It was easy to install, but I have a font problem so its not
    perfect yet. All text show up as boxes and I have not found out how to fix this yet
    I'm having that problem too. Does anyone know how to fix it?

In my case the client is running on a Debian system. I grabbed the client from http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/nx/nxclient-1.4.0.tar.gz. The server is Knoppix 3.6 from the CD. If I have the knoppix system be a client for its own server, the problem doesn't appear. Nothing shows up in my ~/.nx/S-Knoppix-1000-3FDD3A283E7600EC3AEFC3F8B1E27113/errors.

UPDATE:

I changed the font to luxi and it was displayed normally.
    I simply connected to the server and sat the font inside the session and
    all boxes went away.

With Fabian's help, I have put together a klik installation for the FreeNX server and NoMachine NX client (this is a 7.2 MB download).

You can install it from http://klik.berlios.de (direct link: klik://nx if you have the klik client installed). I have tested it with Knoppix 3.3

The klik installation automatically leads you through creating a user and starting the server and client.

probono

Quote Originally Posted by probono
    With Fabian's help, I have put together a klik installation for the FreeNX server and NoMachine NX client (this is a 7.2 MB download).

You can install it from http://klik.berlios.de (direct link: klik://nx if you have the klik client installed). I have tested it with Knoppix 3.3

The klik installation automatically leads you through creating a user and starting the server and client.

probono
    Very nice. Thanks probono. This is quite nice and I imagine it will come in handy for a lot of people.

probono
    Hmm. It doesn't seem to be working for me. Granted I am running an old knoppix install, but most klik apps run without any problem.

I get the following error message when I try to install the NX stuff from Konqueror:

Error starting /home/knoppix/wrapper in order to use nx.
    When I try running the wrapper from the command line, I get the following message:

./wrapper: line 23: /home/knoppix/nx/nxstart: No such file or directory
    Upon further investigation I see that there is a copy of nxserver.tar.gz inside ~/nx. Something is wrong with this file. If I do, tar zxvf nxserver.tar.gz, I get the following message:

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
    tar: Child returned status 1
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    It would seem that the, klik script cannot open this file. I have tried installing three or four times now and I always get the same result. Anyone else having a problem like this?

probono
    PB, I tested this with Knoppix 3.4v5-17-4 and all is well. However, what I REALLY want is to remaster with this service on version 3.4

Can you tell me what .deb packages you used to get this working? I remastered using the packages on this link

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...light=nxserver

and got beau coupe errors when trying to run it (missing config files, can't find dis and dat, etc.)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

~pau1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast