Thread: knoppix as a general purpose server

knoppix as a general purpose server

Is there any mini Knoppix variant out there that's more suitable for server purposes:

- no need for desktop app. or even X windows
    - support more harddrive mount points (from reading doc., my understanding is that only /home is supported)
    - with enhanced security, e.g. with SELinux

Thanks!

Senior Member registered user

I guess

I once though of doing a remaster....

question is do you want it to run from CD or HDD install ?

if HDD install then a couple of mini deb's come to mind

Re: I guess

I would like to run the core from cd, then just install software I need on HD.

Please give me some examples of mini deb's. Thanks!

Member registered user

Re: knoppix as a general purpose server

Quote Originally Posted by martinkong
    Is there any mini Knoppix variant out there that's more suitable for server purposes:

- no need for desktop app. or even X windows
    - support more harddrive mount points (from reading doc., my understanding is that only /home is supported)
    - with enhanced security, e.g. with SELinux

Thanks!
    I started out with Knoppix trying to do this. I gave up because the remaster was just too much of a PITA. I elected to switch to LiveCD http://livecd.berlios.de/. This allows you to install a Mandrake Linux version to your HD then make a live CD out of it.

I now have a great setup:
    2.6.5 Kernel
    Apache 2
    Samba 3.0
    BincIMAP
    Getmail
    PureFTP
    DNSMasq for DNS and DHCP
    XFree running KDE
    Webmin

And a whole bunch more. I run the OS from a CD and the data is saved to a HD. I have a small HD setup to write tmp files to and for symlinked config files. Once I get the config files setup the way I want I may (or may not) remove the small HD and make it all run off the CD. This way my data and OS are totally segragated.

I think Knoppix is great - I use it as a rescue CD and have given it to many people who were itching to try Linux but scared. The remaster is just a lot harder than it should be. And YES - I did SEVERAL remasters - it just wasn't as easy as LiveCD.

Sounds a lot like http://slax.linux-live.org/, anyone try making a liveCD distro like slax from an hd-installed system using http://www.linux-live.org/?

I'm thinking of making my own liveCD distro this way by adding green thread enabled java to QUANTIAN so you can write, compile and execute multi-threaded java apps that automagically migrate over an openMOSIX cluster! OK, I'm copyrighting and trademarking the name of my distro right now: JORAX! Why? I don't know. Its got the j of java and the x of linux and I like scifi novels (ever read Kevin J. Anderson's "A Forest of Stars"?). Matbe THORAX, how's that (th of thread)?

Just think, there's no remastering required! Just knoppix-install the distro you like. Then you remove and install what you wish and use the linux-live scripts. Presto-Chango, you've got your remaster without remastering!
    I guess you just have to be careful that the resulting ISO is less than 700MB....

Is this for real???

TIA,
    AJG

server distro's

Ive seen a couple, best to look on distrowatch and read revviews though by people who actually used em not just read about em like me!

http://www.trusteddebian.org/
    is a start ...

but I use kanotix for HD installs .. its much cleaner as a HD install and if you remove the unstable tree from sources.list its an excellent base for an install....

all the knoppix scripts from fabian et al are incredible,.like networking etc. but I found it a pain making em persistant on HD installed knoppix... and since you need a working <2000MB image to compress down to a CD it needs to work first...

I really think if I was doing this i might start with kanotix and a HD install then remove X (and the deps should have the thing tiny after that)

unfortuately youll lose some of the scripts when you do this since they use kommander and hence X ... but they are all easily modifyable and incredibly well documented!

I had a working 3 interface system with Wifi/interal/external and firewall NAT across them.... however it was getting a lot of hassel playing with the init scrips and I didnt persist else Im sure it would have been nice...

It would be really cool, just a server on a CD... and I'd add a USB key for settings..