Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Linux, Knoppix won't detect my Wifi card

New to Linux, Knoppix won't detect my Wifi card

Hey all, I'm new to Linux. I just got Knoppix today, and while it detected my onboard ethernet (as eth0), it won't detect my wifi card. I tried typing wlcardconfig in the console, but it says No Wireless Network Card Detected.

I have an Acer TM291Lmi laptop. It's a Centrino with integrated 802.11b/g. Can anyone tell me what I need to do?

Ah, my wireless network is a Netgear access point, 128 bit WEP and MAC filtering enabled.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: I just checked, it's an Intel 2200BG WiFi

Oh well, looks like evil MS Windows will have to be my OS of choice. Might be slow, buggy, and unsecure but hey at least it works without 24 hours a day of tinkering and having elitist unix jerks insult you when you ask for help.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by javyn
    but hey at least it works without 24 hours a day of tinkering and having elitist unix jerks insult you when you ask for help.
    1. Who insulted you here? You posted twice in a row, and have two posts total. Where were you insulted?

2. Who's the jerk? No one insulted you, yet you go around calling unix users jerks.

3. When's the last time you got Windows help, and where, that it's so much better? I only get help if I'm in warranty with Windows. Then I'm put on hold for two or more hours, disconnected, often insulted, and generally, no matter what the problem is, the advice I get consists of the following, each step being one phone call with a minimum two hour hold:

Step 1: Reboot the computer - Did the problem go away? Is your power light on? Is your computer plugged it? (and other equally idiotic questions which insult my intelligence)

Step 2: (If hardware) Disconnect, reconnect and reboot - Did the problem go away? (If software) Uninstall, reinstall and reboot - Did the problem go away?

Step 3: Run the setup disk and reset all your software to factory defaults, then spend another day or two patching all the windows holes, upgrading the software and drivers, and reloading whatever data you managed to backup. Did the problem go away?

Step 4: Oh that didn't work? Well then, RMA the computer, and we'll put it back to factory defaults, erase all your data, ship it back to you sometime within the thirty days, and when you finally get it back, you can do all the step 3 stuff all over again. Did the problem go away?

Oh, and after that dance -- "At (fill in name of hardware or software company), we're committed to giving outstanding customer service - have you been absolutely satisfied with your service today?"

Of course it you're out of warranty, you don't even get that.

And that's why most of the people here switched to Linux, and rely on each other to listen to their problems and offer whatever help they can. So, all you folks here who dropped Windows for Linux -- Did the problem go away???

jd

I felt your brainwave vibrations and felt them quite insulting sir! I believe you owe me an apology.

I felt your brainwave vibrations and felt them quite insulting sir! I believe you owe me an apology.
    Not unless you work for a company that provides tech support for their products to users with Windows based machines. I'll freely admit to insulting those people with those comments. If you are one of those people, I did not mean to insult you personally, only globally, and I do apologize if you took it as a personal insult.

Otherwise, if you felt any negativity in my brain waves, I assure you that it's only because of my charming personality.

jd

sorry for the previous post btw, i wasn't implying anyone here are jerks. i've been trying to figure out linux for a while and it seems no matter where i go, usenet, irc, whatever, people would rather put you down than help you out some. i dont get it. everyone was a newbie once. oh well.

Hell, I'm still a newbie, and I've learned a lot from others who still call themselves newbies.

Anyway, don't take it to heart if you don't get an answer. By my estimation, there seem to be a bunch of wi-fi autodetection issues floating around. If you poke around, you'll see that I have one of my own that has gone unanswered for about a month now. I don't think it's because of jerks that it's gone unanswered - I think it's an issue of people help if they can, but sometimes they don't know. I have found one issue with the 2.6.6 kernel autodetection, which I have posted before, and which I have also placed in the bug list as item #4. It appears that, at least with my driver, autodetection is looking for the driver with the 2.6.6 files, and it's really in with the 2.4 drivers. I don't know how to remaster, and I'm not yet ready to try dual booting again, so I'm hoping that the bug gets addressed with the next release, and using ethernet in the meantime. Hopefully, now that LinuxTAG is over, some of the folks who work on the releases will have time to review the buglist and issue a release.

I'd help more if I could. I think you'll find that most people here are pretty nice and try to help.

jd

Member registered user
    I found some information on this at the Intel support site.

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    A Linux* driver is currently under development. A pre-production version of the device driver is available as detailed below.

Driver Source code and binaries for firmware are provided for download. These drivers are meant to provide the Linux developer community a chance to improve and provide feedback for the driver. Intel has assigned a public maintainer who will work with the Linux community to incorporate their feedback (as deemed appropriate) into the driver. Support for this driver will be provided through the open source project, specifically via mailing lists and forums. These drivers are meant for technical Linux developers and not the general Linux population. They contain basic functionality and as such are not feature complete. Support for this driver is only available from the open source web site; please do not contact the Intel Customer Support Centers with questions about this driver. The development site is available at http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net.

Thanks Duck. I wouldn't know how to install a driver anyway if there was one lol.

Oh well, looks like evil MS Windows will have to be my OS of choice. Might be slow, buggy, and unsecure but hey at least it works without 24 hours a day of tinkering and having elitist unix jerks insult you when you ask for help.
    That's your definition of working?

You really should make the effort to get Linux functioning the way you like it and you'll see what 'working' is. Keep in mind that your laptop was built around an OS (and I use the term loosely) from Redmond not a Linux kernel.

Also keep in mind that attitudes just like yours are at least part of the reason viruses, worms & spyware are so easily spread and jam the network.

MY network!

We don't hose up your network with Linux so please try to return the favor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast