Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: ISO boot from FAT/NTFS/USB (GRUB.exe, grldr from boot.ini)

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by artamangr
    Hi!
    I did a PMI of knoppix 3.7 on my laptop.
    Now i only have to boot using the knoppix cdrom and then i can load the knoppix installation from my hard drive (i copied the knoppix.iso file on the NTFS drive).
    However, when i use this PMI i dont have read access anymore to the NTFS drive.
    I get a message 'could not enter folder /cdrom2.loop'. It seems that dev/hda1 is mounted at /mnt/cdrom2.loop and i dont have access to it.
    I dont have this problem when i run knoppix from the cdrom. I can see the contents of the NTFS drive without any problem.
    Does anyone know why this happens? Is there a workaround?
    Also, could anyone give me a hint how to create a bootfloppy so that i dont have to boot from the cdrom?
    I dont think the grubc which is mentioned in this thread has been ported for Knoppix 3.7.

Hi again,
    i set a password for root and now i can access the ntfs partition using the file manager in super user mode.

Junior Member registered user
    I did PMI of KNOPPIX 3.6 on Toshiba TECRA 8100 laptop. It works fine except the GUI resolution. It always uses the lowest resolution 640x480. I then tried CD image of 3.6 and it seems to work fine when I use cheatcode "xmodule=fbdev vga=791" (or fb1024x768 which in turn does the same thing). Is this because of modified minirt files? If yes, how can I get it working like CD image?

TIA.

Well I managed to get this working, sort of.
    Going back through the thread I noticed there were a few references to grub not reading directory structures very well and someone posted that he had got it working by copying all the files from the grub zip directly into root.
    I didn't want loads of files cluttering up the c: directory so I tried this -
    I copied the boot folder into the c: directory as instructed as well as the loose files (menu.lst etc). I then copied all the files from the various folders (knoppix.36 etc) directly into the boot folder and changed the paths in menu.lst accordingly, eg /boot/knoppix.36/*.iso becomes /boot/*.iso.
    After this I rebooted and now the grub menu comes up and it boots into knoppix normally without the cd.
    At the moment though, my ntfs drive is mounted as writable and I would rather that drive was read-only because I have another partition to use as persitant home.

Quote Originally Posted by bandoba
    I did PMI of KNOPPIX 3.6 on Toshiba TECRA 8100 laptop. It works fine except the GUI resolution. It always uses the lowest resolution 640x480. I then tried CD image of 3.6 and it seems to work fine when I use cheatcode "xmodule=fbdev vga=791" (or fb1024x768 which in turn does the same thing). Is this because of modified minirt files? If yes, how can I get it working like CD image?

TIA.
    Goto the file menu.lst in C: and C:\boot and add the cheatcodes in this file.

Hi patelbhavesh,

Thanks for the reply. I think I should have phrased my question in better way. Let me try...

The KNOPPIX 3.6 GUI works fine when I boot off the CD and enter cheatcode xmodule=fbdev. But when I use same cheat code in menu.lst file and boot off the ISO image and minirt* files from NTFS partition, it doesn't work. It even shows that dotted X background in 1024x768 resolution but nothing happens further. On the console I see this message: "Error - No X-Server found for your card".

Hope this clearly states my problem.

Still having problems

Hi fannymites,

Still doesnt work. I have tried all permutations and combinations, but to no avail. Things I tried :

1. Copied all files from subdirectories "GRUB" and "Knoppix.36" to "BOOT". Didnt work.

2. Deleted the 2 directories "GRUB" and "Knoppix.36". Still didnt work.

3. There are 3 locations of menu.lst - C:, C:\boot, C:\boot\grub. I made sure I sync all the files with all the changes I make.

4. The directory listing of "BOOT" directory looks as below :

KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN.iso
    linux24
    linux26
    memdisk
    memtest
    menu.lst
    miniroot_ntfs.gz
    minirt24_ntfs.gz
    minirt26_ntfs.gz
    win311.img

5. My menu.lst looks like :

#############################################
    # GvR Oct 6th 2004
    color black/cyan yellow/cyan
    timeout=15
    default=0

title Default Boot on HD 0
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    boot

# Knoppix Boot from a single NTFS partition hda1:
    # All the files within the directory "Root_Of_NTFS" of the grub9.zip
    # have to be copied into the root of the NTFS hda1 partition c:\
    # but the boot.ini file (which is just here as an example,
    # the line "c:\grldr="Start Grub" has been added at the end of the boot.ini)
    # Copy the also the 700MB knoppix ISO file into c:\boot\knoppix.36\ directory

title Knoppix 3.6 kernel 2.6 from NTFS hda1 ISO scan ramdisk=32MB
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/linux26 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/minirt26_ntfs.gz
    boot

title Knoppix 3.6 kernel 2.4 from NTFS hda1 ISO scan ramdisk=32MB
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/linux24 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda1/boot/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/minirt24_ntfs.gz
    boot

title Memory test
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/memtest

title Win311 from Dos from Floppy image 1.44Mb, just for fun...
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/memdisk
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/win311.img
    boot

################################################

Please let me know about your files.

Shrek.

Hi everyone,
    i am using a PMI installation of knoppix 3.7 and i use the knoppix cdrom to boot.
    is there an option during boot (by using a cheatcode -btw, i cannot access the docs section of the knoppix.net site, do u have the same problem?) to 'tell' knoppix to use a swap partition on my hard drive in addition to the RAM?
    or is it that automatically, during boot, knoppix will recognise the swap formatted partition and use it?

Re: Same problem

Quote Originally Posted by shrek123
    I even tried removing the knoppix.iso lines, just to see if the memtest works - nah. I gave up after tons of reboot and file edits. Could somebody help.
    BTW, I have made the Poor Mans Install on an ex2fs partition with kernel ans loadlin on a FAT partition, and Knoppix starts and works, but memtest starts and shows the beginning of the screen, and after that nothing happens and I have to press reset. That's strange (but maybe hasn't nothing to do with the problem above - don't know; maybe it isn't - someone writes about DOS-specific problems related to HIMEM).

Remastering

Some of you may be interested in a long post I have just made in the Remastering forum. Primarily it is outlining how to make a new set of minirt fils from another knoppix release to use with this method (i.e. patching the linuxrc and adding the modules). It's not foolproof and is more documenting how I did it then providing a simple way to do it.

In trying out this method of doing a pmi, I had a fair bit of confusion caused by primarily a combination of 2 things. First that it can take a while for the grub to find menu.lst, in the meantime it just says "Booting Default ... findroot /boot/grub/menu.lst" or similar. When this was on my hda2 (first ntfs drive, origanlly where Dell pre-installed windows, I've shrunk it since to make room for more partitions) or hda6 (actually the 4th real partition on the drive, a fat partition, hda5 is a ext3 partition) I ended up waiting around 10 seconds for it to finally find the menu.lst. When I made a boot folder in /dev/hda1 (31M fat partition for Dell's license etc.) and put everything except the iso images in there it took all of about 0.1 seconds. The problem really was that it just didn't seem to want to work initially at all until eventually for no apparent reason, that hda1 suddenly became unhidden (it ships hidden and I'd left it like that, untouched) and it all came to life. Perhaps I just never waited long enough at first and it hadn't in fact hung.

So if you have a computer with a first hidden partition, you may need to unhide it, or just wait quite a long time, while grub tries to find your menu.lst!

Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast