Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: ISO boot from FAT/NTFS/USB (GRUB.exe, grldr from boot.ini)

[quote="ruymbekeDid you verify the date (12162004) of the linuxrc script in the multicolor knoppix ?
    Do you have more than one iso file in the same directory ?
    Do you load the kernel, initrd and iso of the same knoppix 3.7, dec 8 2004 release ?
    It works on both my laptop and destop ... It should work on yours as well...
    Cheers, Gilles[/quote]

I think there might be one strange feature left. I set up as suggested using the files from GRUB3D and the Dec 8 2004 ISO Knoppix ISO. I changed the menu.lst to reflect that i was booting from the 2nd partion of my only hard drive ( HD0,1)
    Booting to Knoppix 3.7 kernel 2.4 goes perfectly, but the same setup booting to kernel 2.6 gives two errors
    -The first that it does not like the PNP Bios is minor, but then having used pnpbios=off, it still fails to boot fully.

I am welcomed to the multi-coloured Knoppix live and it then carries on looking for the Knoppix CD-ROM and gives up at /dev/hdh16 .. This is a little JVC Mini-note with neither floppy disk nor CD-ROM !

clearly it is not seeing the ISO whenbooting for kernel 2.6

Failure then continues
    mount: could not setup loop device
    accessing knoppix CDROM failed /cdrom2.loop/boot/knoppix.37/*.iso is not mount

The identical setup for Knoppix 37 with Kernel 2.4 works so there is nothing fundamentally wrong. Are there some hard coded addresses in the linuxrc for 2.6 ?

I am stumped
    John

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jnewgas
    ...mount: could not setup loop device
    The identical setup for Knoppix 37 with Kernel 2.4 works so there is nothing fundamentally wrong. Are there some hard coded addresses in the linuxrc for 2.6 ? I am stumped John
    Just to double check, are you using the following miniroot file from the grubd.zip: Root_Of_NTFS\BOOT\Knoppix.37\minirt26_ntfs.gz which is 1'177'464 bytes long and dated from 12/16/2004 ?
    Could you post your menu.lst ? It should work... Gilles

Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    ...mount: could not setup loop device
    The identical setup for Knoppix 37 with Kernel 2.4 works so there is nothing fundamentally wrong. Are there some hard coded addresses in the linuxrc for 2.6 ? I am stumped John
    Just to double check, are you using the following miniroot file from the grubd.zip: Root_Of_NTFS\BOOT\Knoppix.37\minirt26_ntfs.gz which is 1'177'464 bytes long and dated from 12/16/2004 ?
    Could you post your menu.lst ? It should work... Gilles
    Yes .. it is the 1,177,464 file. I include a copy of the menu.lst . The RAM is only 256Mb

What is a little unusual about the set-up is that there is a single hard drive, partitioned with three partitions
    Partnition 1 DOS - not active- for emergency regeneration of XP = hda1
    Partition 2 FAT32 - Active bootable - Contains Bootldr, Grub, Knoppix etc = hda2
    Partition 3 FAT32 - Extended/Logical Vol - Contains pure data&unused for knoppix = hda5 ( this is not a typo - it is FIVE )

However as I said it runs kernel 2.4 without problems, but only fails on 2.6 where it does not see the knoppix iso file. If 2.4 could also not find the iso, I would understand. It is the difference that surprised me

################################################## ####
    # GvR Dec 16th 2004
    color black/cyan yellow/cyan
    timeout=15
    default=0

title Default Boot on HD 0
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1
    boot

title Knoppix 3.7 kernel 2.4 from NTFS hda2 ISO scan ramdisk=32MB
    kernel (hd0,1)/boot/knoppix.37/linux24 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda2/boot/knoppix.37/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
    initrd (hd0,1)/boot/knoppix.37/minirt24_ntfs.gz
    boot

title Knoppix 3.7 kernel 2.6 from NTFS hda2 ISO scan ramdisk=32MB
    kernel (hd0,1)/boot/knoppix.37/linux26 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda2/boot/knoppix.37/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
    initrd (hd0,1)/boot/knoppix.37/minirt26_ntfs.gz
    boot

title Memory test
    kernel (hd0,1)/boot/knoppix.36/memtest

title Win311 from Dos from Floppy image 1.44Mb, just for fun...
    kernel (hd0,1)/boot/memdisk
    initrd (hd0,1)/boot/win311.img
    boot

################################################## ####

Moderator Moderator

grubd.zip alternate download link

GRUBD.ZIP alternate download link: ==> http://s119307663.onlinehome.us/grubd.zip <==
    Windows Partition PMI: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
    (Original download link: http://s94592085.onlinehome.us/grub/grubd.zip , February 5GB quota exceeded)
    (http://bhavesh.mdns.org/pub/grubdknoppix37/grubd.zip , looks like to be down)
    # MD5 checksums generated by MD5summer (http://www.md5summer.org)
    # Generated 2/12/2005 2:02:24 AM
    ec37b5a9db080c8e747a3d37a6946039 *grubd.zip

Moderator Moderator
    Yes .. it is the 1,177,464 file. I include a copy of the menu.lst . The RAM is only 256Mb ...

What is a little unusual about the set-up is that there is a single hard drive, partitioned with three partitions
    Partnition 1 DOS - not active- for emergency regeneration of XP = hda1
    Partition 2 FAT32 - Active bootable - Contains Bootldr, Grub, Knoppix etc = hda2
    Partition 3 FAT32 - Extended/Logical Vol - Contains pure data&unused for knoppix = hda5 ( this is not a typo - it is FIVE )

However as I said it runs kernel 2.4 without problems, but only fails on 2.6 where it does not see the knoppix iso file. If 2.4 could also not find the iso, I would understand. It is the difference that surprised me
    title Knoppix 3.7 kernel 2.4 from NTFS hda2 ISO scan ramdisk=32MB
    kernel (hd0,1)/boot/knoppix.37/linux24 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda2/boot/knoppix.37/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
    initrd (hd0,1)/boot/knoppix.37/minirt24_ntfs.gz
    boot

title Knoppix 3.7 kernel 2.6 from NTFS hda2 ISO scan ramdisk=32MB
    kernel (hd0,1)/boot/knoppix.37/linux26 ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet bootfrom=/dev/hda2/boot/knoppix.37/*.iso config=scan home=scan ramdisk=32768 noprompt
    initrd (hd0,1)/boot/knoppix.37/minirt26_ntfs.gz
    boot
    I don't see anything wrong here. It should work... Does any one else have the same working setup ?

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    Does any one else have the same working setup ?
    Yes, I did, until I changed it to install a larger HD. Having the emergency thing on hda1 sounds like my HP, and it worked fine. One bit of hard-learned wisdom that I found is that GRUB, unlike DOS/Windows, is very, very case sensitive when it comes to file paths. Gilles' files that I downloaded had, by default a number of files in a folder called "BOOT", which I copied over without much thought. But, as I was setting up Kanotix BHX to boot this way, I got lazy and typed " kernel (hd0,1)/boot/knoppix...(etc)" into a file path - [in lower case, IOW], and it would not work. I note that jnewgas has the directory "boot" in lower case also, but if he(she) copied the folder as I did, that could very well be the problem.

jd

Moderator Moderator

Knoppix 3.8 linuxrc/minirt update to boot from NTFS

I have been trying to update the linuxrc of Knoppix 3.8 (and also update the minirt.gz: ntfs,loop modules & busybox...), to allow to boot from NTFS, but no success so far... The 3.8 linuxrc has been changed significantly because of the unionfs and it is not that straight forward. If somebody would have some more time to spend on it, here is the link of my current file: http://s119307663.onlinehome.us/k38.zip
    But please let me know if you work on it, so we do not duplicate the work...
    Cheers, Gilles

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Alterscape
    h:\boot.ini
    Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    H:\grldr="Start Grub"
    I should try the "old grub loader" method, but I haven't yet.

[edit]
    Okay, I moved everything from Giles' zip to my C drive and made the requisite changes to boot.ini (c:\grldr="start grub", and on the next line, c:\bootgrub="old GRUB") .. I think something's working right-er, because when I use the grldr entry in the boot menu, I get the ever-informative "ERROR" message. Using the bootgrub entry, I get the error "can't find grldr." I'm going to mess with my menu.lst and see if maybe I can fix the error.

[edit]
    Okay, I think there's something strange going on here. After I deleted the grub files from H (hda3) drive and rebooted (thinking that having put the files on C, hdb1, would make it happy, I started getting the same Windows-related errors as before)... so I moved the grub files back go hda3, but left the boot.ini reading c:\ .. which gets me the "ERROR" message (which smells to me like GRUB rather than Windows, since I've never seen that particular error on boot before..) .. I'm not sure if any of this info is useful, but there you have it.
    Don't know if this would help, but instead of H:\grldr="Start Grub" try
    Code:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\grldr="Start Grub"
    or even use 'bootgrub' instead of 'grldr' :/

what about encrypted hd

I'm having troubles while trying to follow described procedure in the win partiotion wiki.
    I'm using a laptop dell latitude D800.
    There is one drive with a hidden partition (EISA config?) a second NTFS partition with XP on it and a third data partition also NTFS.
    Put contents of Root_Of_NTFS (extracted from grubd.zip) into C:\
    Made modification to boot.ini and referred to hd0,1 (second partition of first disk) in menu.lst
    After following the described procedure the only thing I get is a little blinking cursosr in the upper left corner of the screen.
    Something seems to be eating system resources (or searching for menu.lst?), because the ventilation stays on full speed while waiting at that prompt.
    It's not the grub prompt, I can hit some keys without any effect except a beep after some time.
    I read through the thread, but cant'find a clue for what could be going wrong.
    I'm using safeguard disk encryption software for the hard drive. Could this be a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by brianez21

Don't know if this would help, but instead of H:\grldr="Start Grub" try
    Code:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\grldr="Start Grub"
    or even use 'bootgrub' instead of 'grldr' :/
    trying this syntax in my configuration gives me an errror referring to a missing hal.dll while "starting windows" (howerver I'm referring to hd0,1\grldr and hd0,1\bootgrub in boot.ini

Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast