Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: ISO boot from FAT/NTFS/USB (GRUB.exe, grldr from boot.ini)

Re: Assistance needed for booting Knoppix from a USB dongle

Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
    ... I think my problem may be with the menu.1st file....
    * The grub config file name is "menu.lst" (with lowercase L and NOT the number 1).
    * Be carefull with the path and filenames. Linux and Grub are case sensitive !
    * Remove any other USB dongle/scsi/sata drives you may have on the system or edit the kernel cheatcodes accordingly.
    * Remove or rename any other /KNOPPIX directory you may have on any other partition of any drive. (An other accessible /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file may fool the linuxrc boot script which will try to boot from your hdd instead of booting from your USB dongle)
    * Could you please try Knoppix 402 with the following menu.lst (since previous versions of knoppix may have use other device mapping for USB devices)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your help, Gilles!

I am still getting, "error 16" "file not found"
    I got the Knoppix 402 and replaced all the files on the USB key and I also got the Knoppix402.zip file and swapped those files as well.
    The menu.lst file from the zip file had a bunch of different Title paragraphs for different configurations, so I deleted those out and pasted in the Title example you provided.

I believe Knoppix refers to my USB key as a uda1 device and not sda1. Would this be causing a problem?

Bill

Moderator Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ssfc72
    ... I am still getting, "error 16" "file not found" ...
    I got the Knoppix 402 and replaced all the files on the USB key and I also got the Knoppix402.zip file ...
    I believe Knoppix refers to my USB key as a uda1 device and not sda1. Would this be causing a problem? Bill
    On my system (Thinkpad T43) Knoppix 4.0.2 uses /dev/sda2 device as for my usb dongle. /dev/sda1 being used by the hdd (the T43 uses a sata chipset with a sata/pata bridge) Previous (in fact intermediate) versions of knoppix were using /dev/uda devices. So I would still use /dev/sda1 in most cases. The best way to know, is to boot from the cd/dvd and check from Knoppix running which device is associated with your USB dongle and use that same device in the kernel command line of your menu.lst. Hope this helps. Gilles

I am still getting, "error 16" "file not found" ...
    I got the Knoppix 402 and replaced all the files on the USB key and I also got the Knoppix402.zip file ...
    I believe Knoppix refers to my USB key as a uda1 device and not sda1. Would this be causing a problem? Bill
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On my system (Thinkpad T43) Knoppix 4.0.2 uses /dev/sda2 device as for my usb dongle. /dev/sda1 being used by the hdd (the T43 uses a sata chipset with a sata/pata bridge) Previous (in fact intermediate) versions of knoppix were using /dev/uda devices. So I would still use /dev/sda1 in most cases. The best way to know, is to boot from the cd/dvd and check from Knoppix running which device is associated with your USB dongle and use that same device in the kernel command line of your menu.lst. Hope this helps. Gilles[/quote]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got it! Thanks Gilles!

It turns out my trouble was I had copied all the files and directories as they were arranged on the CD to the USB dongle, in the same layout.
    Once I created the "knoppix.402" directory on the dongle and placed the proper files in the directory, then I got Knoppix to boot from my USB dongle.

Moderator Moderator

minirt_reiser.gz boot Knoppix 402 iso from Reiser partition

Hello,
    Please find below a link allowing to boot Knoppix 4.02 from the iso file being also on a reiser partition:
    http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/kno402r.zip
    PS, the same minirt_reiser.gz file can still be used to boot the iso from ntfs, fat16/32, ext2/3 or usb
    Enjoy and please give me some feedback,
    Cheers, Gilles

Moderator Moderator

Re: How to boot Knoppix 4.02 (cd or dvd data) from a USB don

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    How to boot Knoppix 4.02 (cd or dvd data) from a USB dongle: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=93758#93758
    This looks like good information that should be of interest to many people...
    Would you consider putting it in the wiki where it might be easy to find in the future by others looking for it?
    Harry
    I am very busy at work these days, but YES asap...
    Thank you for the suggestion.
    Best Regards, Gilles

PS: Just as a curiosity, why don't you like Knoppix booting from the hdd (even from iso) http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=94439#94439
    "installing the disc to disk... people ... think that is a good idea (I'm not one of them)"
    and why is it called "poor man install" which is kind of pejorative ?
    Most of my computers are multi boot with OpenBSD and various Linux distributions (Mandriva, Debian, Suse, ...)
    and sadly still Windows for some time...
    But if not all, most OS installs take a significant amount of time and
    hdd partitionning is always at risk, especially if you are not very experienced.
    I do not know any faster and safer way to install and boot Linux on a computer than this iso setup with Knoppix.
    I really like the speed of the hdd and the simplicity of the install (and removal).

Hope you will get a 1GB USB dongle soon to try this setup.
    FYI, I am pretty happy with my very fast and ultra small PQI 1GB Intelligent Stick Pro 170X USB dongle:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PQI-1GB-Intellig...mZ8711319911QQ
    Under XP I get a 15MB/S sustained write and 25MB/S read.
    For some reasons it is much slower with Knoppix but still ok. Somebody have an explanation and/or a solution ?
    2 of these devices fit in a credit card holder inside my wallet
    and I just love this concept of travelling without a laptop, without a large cd or dvd,
    just my usb dongle always with me ...
    (I am not, do not know the seller and have no interest in PQI, besides the fact that I really like this product)

Administrator Site Admin-

PS: Just as a curiosity, why don't you like Knoppix booting from the hdd (even from iso)
    I'm not all that opposed to booting from the ISO, and booting from an ISO on USB flash device strikes me as a fine idea. I do suspect (reinforced from what I've seen here) that many people who set about to boot from the ISO think the system will be something it is not, and many if not most will use it as a gateway drug to a full Knoppix install. Now if people understand what they are getting into and are making an informed choice about trying to "install" Knoppix, that's fine with me. But I think the new kids need to be exposed to both sides of the discussion and be aware of the issues they may face when installing Knoppix instead of a distro that is actually intended and supported for hard disk install. I come to that conclusion from about 3 years of watching these forums and seeing the same problems over and over after some new user installs Knoppix, clearly before reading about others having the same problems they quickly have.

One thing I find particularly sad is that three years ago the Debian install was much more technical than it is now. People came up with the Knoppix install as a way around ther problems of the Debian installer, although they never bothered to fix some minor things (like getting file permissions correct). These may have been trival to the script writers, but cause problems repeatedly for new users who attempt to install Knoppix. In that time the Debian installer has improved greatly. Yet many peope who try the Knoppix Live CD quickly rush to install it without knowing the issues and without ever trying a Debian install of a current release. This makes no sense to me and I don't believe that it should be encouraged.

Actually, ISO booting does have it's place. It is well used in testing new remasters. 3 years ago a poor man's install made sense too, as long as one was clear about why it was done and the limitations.. The reason for this was to get Knoppix to boot and run quickly but to allow it to fit on some of the older disks of the time; many of which were too small to hold an uncompresses Knoppix system. But disk space continues to grow and it's been ages since I've seen anyone ask how they can put knoppix on their old 1.2 gig hard disk. Techniques like this should be retained in the documentation, but I feel users, particularly new users, should be encouraged to use Knoppix as what it is, a Live CD or DVD, and cautioned about the issues that come up when one tries to get this mix of different incompatable Debian distributions to "install" to a harddisk where they will likely then try to install something additional or update their current software. I favor suggesting that the new user try to install Derbian. I have heard that Kantonix avoids some of the mixed distro issues that Knoppix is well known to have, so I do understand when people recommend it over Knoppix for this purpose. But I've never installed Kantonix myself and so am not going to be advising others to do so, and I really don't see a good reason to do so over a modern Debian Install (although I do expect that in some special cases these reasons do exist).

How to boot Knoppix 4.02 (cd or dvd data) from a USB dongle:
    =========================================
    7) setup your bios to boot from usb, reboot and have fun...

Hope this will help. Please give me some feedback.
    Cheers, Gilles
    Hi, this is great, i prepared to do all steps (even buy 2Gb usb memory stick) and just today reveal that BIOS of my laptop not support booting from usb-hdd and vendor do not know when aproppriate upgrade of BIOS will be ready

So will you be please to tell me how to boot from CD (i did default boot of Knoppix, everything OK) then switch to usb memory stick
    (some kind of chroot). I want that Knoppix will release /cdrom, so i will be able to umount /cdrom and mount other CD (for example to burn or move a multivolume archive to some HDDs).

Now i using Knoppix 3.9 but downloading 4.02 is not a problem.
    Knoppix mounts my device as /mnt/uba and works great, smaller one (128 Mb) mounts as /mnt/uba1.

---
    kanat.

Moderator Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by kanat
    ... So will you be please to tell me how to boot from CD (i did default boot of Knoppix, everything OK) then switch to usb memory stick (some kind of chroot). I want that Knoppix will release /cdrom, so i will be able to umount /cdrom and mount other CD (for example to burn or move a multivolume archive to some HDDs)... kanat.
    I never tried to boot from the cd and then chroot to an other media.
    If I understand you right, you would need to mount first your usb device, then mount the knoppix iso image as a virtual cdrom, then mount the knoppix compressed file system KNOPPIX and then using the unionfs substitute the booting file system by the one on the new media and finally release the old booting media so you can use the it for something else as burning a cd.
    Well, this should be possible but seems very complicated to me and I would like to suggest you an other way. As I understand your problem is really that your bios cannot boot from your usb dongle but it boots from the hdd, cdrom and probably from a floppy as well. Once the bootloader is running you will be able to load the kernel and ramdisk and then knoppix will read it's data (ISO or cd image file) from what ever media you like. You only need to decide which media you would like to boot from and install a boot loader on it and copy the kernel ramdisk and iso file somewhere but not necessarily on the same boot media (each one of these boot file can be located on a different media). The trick is that if you want to boot from the iso file, you will need to use my modified minirt ramdisk file what ever you boot from a ntfs/reiser partition or not. I had to modify the linuxrc script inside the ramdisk to have the dual loop/cloop (ISO and KNOPPIX) working properly and I also updated/added ntfs and reiserfs support (initrd_reiser.gz, http://s94002264.onlinehome.us/grub/kno402r.zip ). So as a summary please find below some options I would like to suggest you to try:
    1) boot from the hdd:
    - 1a) lilo or grub already used as a boot loader: just update your lilo.conf and run lilo or update your menu.lst for grub
    - 1b) XP installed as your main and only OS: add a line to your boot.ini to launch grub as described in this thread or in here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
    2) boot from a floppy: just install grub on your floppy disk and create a menu.lst with the correct path to the boot files located on your hdd as an example
    3) boot from a cd: make a bootable cd with grub or isolinux and create/update the config files to match the path of your boot files
    4) boot from usb, look in here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=93758#93758 (but this doesn't work for you now)
    Hope this helps, Gilles

i fallowed your instructions then go this...

ok i i found this thanks to guilles buit after i followed the instructions, i got this error..:

C:\>goto LNX

C:\>grub.exe --config-file=(hd0,0)/menu.lst

SORRY! currently supported dos versions are: MS-DOS 3.30 and later; FreeDOS kernal build 2032 and later

Programs such as TSRs and device drivers may also change the bios interrrupt vector table. make sure thoes programs are not running then try again.

C:\>

cannot find win.COM, unable to continue loading windows

C:\>

first thought was to update dos. so i did to 6.2. but same result. im using a sandisk 1 gb cruz micro so i can fit the originaly iso on there. i checked the menu.lst file and edited it so that it says sdb1 instead of sda1 because when koppix loads from the cd thats how it reconized the usb key. if any one has any suggestions i would appreceate it.

Moderator Moderator

Re: i fallowed your instructions then go this...

Quote Originally Posted by scubanator87
    ok i i found this thanks to guilles buit after i followed the instructions, i got this error..:
    C:\>goto LNX
    C:\>grub.exe --config-file=(hd0,0)/menu.lst
    SORRY! currently supported dos versions are: MS-DOS 3.30 and later; FreeDOS kernal build 2032 and later
    Programs such as TSRs and device drivers may also change the bios interrrupt vector table. make sure thoes programs are not running then try again...
    It looks like that you did not follow my instructions. You did not (re)formatted your disk flash memory with my setup or you have added/modified some other things in the boot process (config.sys or autoexec.bat). You cannot have emm386.exe or himem.sys or any other driver loaded when calling grub.exe. An easy way to check is to press F8 at the boot time ans ask DOS to boot step by step and verify that nothing is loaded by answering NO to every questions during the boot. I am sorry, but this a restriction to the DOS port of GRUB.EXE.
    Hope this helps, best regards, Gilles

Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast